And Irene, Irena so far awayyyy...

statler

Reaction score
Wait, sorry, wrong 80's pop song.

Anyways, I guess we are going to get a hurricane or some shit?

I'd rather have that thought in my head than the constant "Come on Irene" that has been in it for the last few days...darn you Dexy's Midnight Runners!

that's Eileen. How about Leadbelly's (or the Weavers') "Goodnight Irene" ?

such bullshit for Bloomberg to shut down the subway for a weaking cat. two...it won't even be a tropical depression by the time that it gets here on sunday night...what's even more sad? when a real hurricane hits, the media won't hype it as much, and by then, that will be too late...media didn't hype the shit out of the w. mass tornadoes like they're doing with irene...

that's Eileen. How about Leadbelly's (or the Weavers') "Goodnight Irene" ?

I know what it really is, but hear Irene enough times in a day and then hear "Come on Irene" on the radio and they melt together.

such bullshit for Bloomberg to shut down the subway for a weaking cat. two...it won't even be a tropical depression by the time that it gets here on sunday night...

They have huge problems with a nasty rain storm and you are complaining about them shutting it down for a hurricane?!?!?!

He is going to get much less criticism for shutting down as a precaution than for keeping it up and running through the storm- lesser of two evils, like it or not.

what's even more sad? when a real hurricane hits, the media won't hype it as much, and by then, that will be too late...media didn't hype the shit out of the w. mass tornadoes like they're doing with irene...

Katrina didn't get as much press and airtime as this is getting and look at what happened there...remember the doom and gloom a year ago over the hurricane that never hit us? Just as bad as this one, and they got skewered for the overhype and still are overdoing it this time.

And the tornadoes came on suddenly. They knew bad storms were coming but you can't predict a tornado with that kind of damage. The coverage after the tornadoes they hyped the crap out of for days after, and if Irene hits hard they are going to do the same thing. They are masters of the hindsight overreation.

I'm not...I'm not even going to on this...

I try not to be an alarmist...It's a fine time for a meteorologist...water in the atlantic is warmer this year...so either way, the east coast is going to get more shitty weather than usual

MBTA JUST SUSPENDED ALL SERVICE SUNDAY.

NO BUSES. NO TRAINS. NO SUBWAYS.

f-ing a-

^^That may be just a bit of overkill.

They already know it will a tropical storm by the time it gets here.

I'm not sure on surge and flooding predictions, but if there's potential for an entire downtown subway flood, then sure, cancel it. But they better be sandbagging if they're going to do this. Otherwise it's completely foolish.

Buses and commuter rail should keep running as long as they can.

Buses should be running all day. Total failure on part of T. Buses can just pull over if it gets bad. Yes, tunnels can flood. Weak.

^^That may be just a bit of overkill.

They already know it will a tropical storm by the time it gets here.

That is still more than enough to wipe out service especially since they have enough trouble already keeping flooding under control, wires up, and tracks clear during normal Spring/Fall monsoons.

There are trees down on the Red Line. I definitely don't think it was overkill. Imagine you being stranded on one of the train during a wind storm.

There are trees down on the Red Line. I definitely don't think it was overkill. Imagine you being stranded on one of the train during a wind storm.
Imagine the tree falling ON the train. Same with the D-Line.

I had a fun time today with me, myself and Irene.

Imagine the tree falling ON the train. Same with the D-Line.

And commuter rail. And most likely Blue Line. Wonderland was getting high winds through most of the evening making the wires sag quite a bit- if there was service the wires would have been brought down at multiple points along the line.

Apparently they cleared over 100 downed trees from the system yesterday and this early morning.

I'd say it was a smart move to close the T. Also, as Rich Davey mentioned during the live press conference today, a tree fell directly on top of a bus stop in Inman Square.

Back