archBOSTON Update: A New Dawn

Selecting mods.... There are a number of contributors with a large body of informed content--but that's not always grounds for being a mod. If it were a popularity contest, Brad and Rover would have my vote. They display a healthy bit of latitude, and seem open to a spectrum of opinions. Our height enthusiast mob bosses DZ & Stick would make fine mods. i tend to doubt any of the above would want to do it. You discover the mod thing takes up much of one's time. :)

Do you want to be a mod so you can settle disputes with other contributors? Does someone projecting a this or that type of persuasion bother you? That alone will make you a poor choice. And that's the point. Granting someone the power to be a moderator for no other reason than they desire to have it--very often will prove a poor idea. The desire to be a mod should alone give pause. Consider the personality types posting on the interwebs. Look at yourself and ask if you have a value system founded in Civics.

A mod needs to go beyond even possessing reverence for differing points of view. He/She should be on the low end of excitable, more or less be unimpressed, if not bored shitless w/ peoples' self-serving agendas, or opinions that lend to self-aggrandizement. (True, there are many geniuses on this site--that can back it up). Statler has shown to be very satisfactory as a mod imo--probably under-appreciated.

DD could be a decent mod. Like several people on aB, he posts with a strong foundation of Boston's construction scene. He's fair minded and respectful. (i admire his contributions, and Equilibria's very much.... then there's this F-Line dude--holy shit). DD is less reactionary than others. Unfortunately, his fondness of structure might lend to stricter posting rules--which could be less well-received by some casual visitors to the site.

Beeline is clearly one who has earned it (but, he's another who might desire not to do anything beyond his prolific, photo-sharing activities).

Statler, DD and Beeline are 3 outstanding members. i've left out a few more who'd probably make fine mods.

At the other end--even folks with a pique for one type of posting characteristic or another have much to ponder before they become a mod.

Rennlist is the world's go-to Porsche enthusiast site (w/ some 150,000 members). They had one of the more disastrous types for a moderator; (the infamous Randy V) for a number of years (2001-04). It didn't go well. A decade and a half after his mod powers were removed, he continues to have run-ins & incidents of abuse with long-standing members. We're talking the same type-A individuals found on a site such as this. The RL administrator, Bob R. was very slow with the ban hammer. But over the years, slowly began to lose patience with even keeping Randy on as a member. That's showing immense patience!

Last edited:
^Sorry, but I don't agree with DZ and Stick as mods. They are way too controversial. I'd rather have someone like Data or Beeline.

^Sorry, but I don't agree with DZ and Stick as mods. They are way too controversial. I'd rather have someone like Data or Beeline.

True, they lean a bit Yimby. :wink: i should have clarified i was including them in my 'who i'd personally nominate' (subjective) grouping as contributors who provide much content--but for certain reasons might not be a popular choice with everyone.... where, DD or BeeLine might be such who'd receive much wider support.

I nominate beton brut, datadyne, and statler... and van, too. I don’t know who would want it but I think it would be better to have a collective of mods than just one or two. And I feel strongly they should be pulled from the existing community, not just injected in from an outside source.

Well, as soon as I saw that large gap appear at the top and bottom of the forum yesterday, I knew exactly what was coming. Here come the ads.

Also, thanks for everyone's vote of confidence. It is much appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will be reaching out to some people via PM.

Edward,

I want to reiterate that I've nothing against you personally. I have only respect for the fact that you were able build a business centered around something you -- and indeed all the members here -- care about. If you had created a Skyrise Boston / Urban Boston site I'd be thrilled. I'd visit it regularly. I apologize if I come of as antagonistic.

With that said, I have a few questions that I hope you're willing to answer.

1. Going back to the ownership question: What is it that you now own? Obviously the domains archboston.org and archboston.com are now in your possession. Is it your opinion that you own the 13 years of past community created content that currently makes up the entirety of archBoston?

2. Is it your opinion that you own/will own future community created content going forward?

You refer to UT as "we" and looking at job postings there I see that it's a multi-person operation. When you get a chance, can you clarify what the management structure is? Are you sole owner there as here, or are you representing a group that owns that board?

4. Is the advertising we see now the extent of you monetization plans or is there more coming? I believe someone asked this, but I can't seem to find it now.

5. Do you plan on bringing the current SkyriseCities/Chart Communications privacy policy to archBoston? This can be found at https://skyrisecities.com/privacy/ and I encourage everyone to read it.

6. Do you have personal experience porting/upgrading/administrating web forum software or is this something you leave to your team? I believe you are greatly inflating the cost in both time and money required. I understand you have larger plans, but porting to XenForo should be measured in hours, not in days or weeks.

I find it telling that your first order of business, prior to making a single improvement, was to place advertising on the site. If archBoston had been passed to the community as it should have been the move to XenForo would have already been completed, moderators would have been assigned, and we certainly would not be looking at ads right now. Or ever.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read and respond.

Hi Skyrise,

Thank you for taking this on. I'm sure you did your due-diligence on this purchase, so you must have had a sense for the fact that Briv was absent day-to-day and that we we largely self-managing (with severe limitations on Statler, the one mod who was active). You'd likely also seen the conversation threads where we (an impressive number of active members, to be honest) were talking about migrating and sustaining a new forum on a volunteer/donation basis. So, I'm sure you realize that your purchase comes at a bit of an awkward time in that regard (especially with Briv's reemergence, Statler's mysterious hiatus, and now...this). I know some PMs have been behind the scenes but mostly this has all been out in the open.

That being said: while I wouldn't say the volunteer/donation-fed migration was a pipe dream, I do think it was bound to me more work and more risk than had been assumed. - probably wouldn't have been as easy as it sounded. Best case scenario was always to stay here.

So, I think this will be a win-win. You've basically bought yourself a domain as well as a few-hours-a-week job of maintaining this site, which I do hope will see you compensated for that effort. I do not believe that you have bought a "community"- you've bought an admin job, which will compensate you in proportion to how active this community continues to be. (And if the community leaves, you're left with just a domain). So, you're interests and our interests are aligned in wanting to keep this community maintained, active and well-functioning.

I understand why you activated the ads. My advice going forward is to keep things more or less the same for a bit. In the meantime, you'll earn a lot of trust by appointing competent and highly active mods who have full authority to do what's needed with members and with threads. I think you'll also earn a lot of trust by re-opening the conversation that Briv deleted about new potential features that this membership wants to see prioritized.

The best outcome from all of this is that you make some money to compensate for your work, and we in the community don't need to think about your ownership role often at all - good, bad, great, awful - the best outcome is that your ownership is seamless and invisible and we continue to be an active community with better moderation than ever before.

Thanks, Shep

I'd also support DD, Beeline, and Van. All great contributors with level heads.

Hey.

My apologies. I am still around. That is me you see lurking.

I'm not going to get into specific various reasons for the radio silence, but it was entirely my choice and it wasn't entirely related to aB. It was, of course, a shitty decision and I managed to do it at the worst possible time, but it was mine alone.

I'm probably just going to continue to lurk for a while, I'm not sure I have anything of value to add to the forum right now (if I ever did).

I'm sorry for the confusion and concern.

Stat,
I feel compelled to rebut your "if I ever did" comment. You absolutely, unequivocally had a ton to add to this site. Please do not ever doubt that. You moderated actively and evenhandedly over a long period of time, and thoughtfully prompted engaging debate and discussion. How you engage going forward is your choice (really hope you continue to moderate!), but please do not doubt your past contributions! Many thanks to you.

That being said: while I wouldn't say the volunteer/donation-fed migration was a pipe dream, I do think it was bound to me more work and more risk than had been assumed. - probably wouldn't have been as easy as it sounded. Best case scenario was always to stay here.

I need to dispute this because a similar sentiment seems to keep popping up. I understand how someone without knowledge in this area could make this assumption, but setting up and keeping a forum online is absolutely trivial for anyone with even a small amount experience, and entirely doable by anyone with the will, and failing that, there are scripts that will do it for you. All the work is in moderating.

Stat,
I feel compelled to rebut your "if I ever did" comment. You absolutely, unequivocally had a ton to add to this site. Please do not ever doubt that. You moderated actively and evenhandedly over a long period of time, and thoughtfully prompted engaging debate and discussion. How you engage going forward is your choice (really hope you continue to moderate!), but please do not doubt your past contributions! Many thanks to you.

Hear Hear!

I need to dispute this because a similar sentiment seems to keep popping up. I understand how someone without knowledge in this area could make this assumption, but setting up and keeping a forum online is absolutely trivial for anyone with even a small amount experience, and entirely doable by anyone with the will, and failing that, there are scripts that will do it for you. All the work is in moderating.

The bigger issues aren't the technical ones of setting up and maintaining, but the ones around maintaining the community. I remain skeptical that migration of content is possible, moderation isn't an easy task to set up, and more importantly how do you avoid fracturing the community and force everyone over to the new site?

As for the ads, I'm not a fan but if they're the price we pay for a site that's actually going to continue running I'm fine with that.

People are getting ridiculous. How are some complaining about Briv deleting the discussion? Come on lets be real here, no one is “owed” the space on THIS SITE to discuss how youre going to create your own site somewhere else and try to use this site to get everyone to go over there.

Trust me I get it, it wasnt some shady plot brewed behind the scenes to steal the site, it was out of (perceived) desperation, but at the end of the day he doesnt “have” to approve anyone... its his site. You (wanted) new users approved, and normal forums do, but at the end of the day its his site. In reality the site was up and running fine and everything was business as usual besides new users. Theres a lot of core users so it just became actually like a core group of people. Besides that it was literally running fine and we were all here posting all the time. Hes 1 billion % in the right to delete that thread from this forum... if he wanted to. If you want a different site then create it and build it from the ground up, simple as that, but he doesnt “have” to allow his forum to be where the plans are hatched. Frankly as a business owner it would be bad business to allow it. No one in their right mind would offer up their own site as a way for people to plan how to get everyone to bail and go to another site.

I'd reiterate mod support for Data, Equilibria, Beton, Beeline, and the existing Mods (Statler and Van - anyone else?).

I'm not seeing the ad that people are talking about. Maybe I missed it.

I'd reiterate mod support for Data, Equilibria, Beton, Beeline, and the existing Mods (Statler and Van - anyone else?).

I'm not seeing the ad that people are talking about. Maybe I missed it.

Your browser likely has an ad-blocker activated.

My one and only concern is the how easy the forum is to read. My vision sucks. The current font + colors are very easy to read. The Toronto forum linked previously is not easy to read at all. Unfortunately, if the color + font of the Toronto forum is replicated here, I wont be able to post much.

Your browser likely has an ad-blocker activated.

Good point. D'oh!

I also agree with your point about accessibility. Important feedback more websites should heed.

People are getting ridiculous. How are some complaining about Briv deleting the discussion? Come on lets be real here, no one is “owed” the space on THIS SITE to discuss how youre going to create your own site somewhere else and try to use this site to get everyone to go over there.

Trust me I get it, it wasnt some shady plot brewed behind the scenes to steal the site, it was out of (perceived) desperation, but at the end of the day he doesnt “have” to approve anyone... its his site. You (wanted) new users approved, and normal forums do, but at the end of the day its his site. In reality the site was up and running fine and everything was business as usual besides new users. Theres a lot of core users so it just became actually like a core group of people. Besides that it was literally running fine and we were all here posting all the time. Hes 1 billion % in the right to delete that thread from this forum... if he wanted to. If you want a different site then create it and build it from the ground up, simple as that, but he doesnt “have” to allow his forum to be where the plans are hatched. Frankly as a business owner it would be bad business to allow it. No one in their right mind would offer up their own site as a way for people to plan how to get everyone to bail and go to another site.

Did you read Briv's last post? He's delusional and he deleted all discussion of how badly he dropped the ball because he is embarrassed by his performance.

To be honest, I was just a little upset at Briv for selling the site to an outsider when we already had a plan, but I can see the potential for what Edward can do for us. Now however, I'm really pissed that he tried to gaslight us all.

I'm done with Briv. I held my nose and thanked him back when he was still in control. Now that he doesn't hold us hostage anymore, there is no need to kiss his butt and prop up his delusions.

He was a lousy admin for YEARS.

He failed us.

Good riddance.

Back