[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

Van, you suck :)

In all seriousness, I am anticipating some news from the Chiofaro camp in the next few months for obvious reasons.

Van, you suck :)

In all seriousness, I am anticipating some news from the Chiofaro camp in the next few months for obvious reasons.

The only news I see coming from the Chiofaro camp is when they start to offer 99 year leases for harbor garage. This would be the nail in the coffin for the BRA creditability. The taxpayers in the city would start to realize this agency is knocking down historical buildings, promoting tax breaks to billion dollar insurance companies but won't work with a private developer trying to knock down a concrete wall facing the Greenway.

Not that the agency had creditability but its becoming very obvious that the agency does not have the best interest of the city taxpayers or residents. The agency is just a political arm.

Last edited:

As has been said before...it is going to be interesting to see the position of the new Mayor and his new BRA. It would be great to see a progressive vision come down that leads to exciting architecture and city building but what the candidates might do if elected is a mystery. The only sure thing is that the next year or two will be interesting as we start to see what the new mayor envisions in the future of Boston and whether he can execute his vision (I say his since I think there is only one female candidate).

Forgive me, but is that nasty-ass rendering something people WANT on our skyline?? Ugh...

As a point of reference, the easement for all those hundreds of Harbor Tower parking spaces in the Harbor Garage expires in 2022, and the easement for the Harbor Towers HVAC expires in 2069.
There are probably 1,000 plus voters living in Harbor Towers. I believe Mr. Chiofaro still lives outside Boston. So any new mayor will be very hesitant about incurring the enmity of a bloc of 1,000+ voters for the sake of a non-voter, who I believe has never lived in Boston.

And there is the planning study underway for this area.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...nitsIndividual.asp?action=ViewInit&InitID=162

and earlier,

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...nitsIndividual.asp?action=ViewInit&InitID=145

What happens when the easement is up? The residents need to then find their own parking?

The "studies" are great for destroying the growth of the city in every possible way.

Forgive me, but is that nasty-ass rendering something people WANT on our skyline?? Ugh...

It's tall and shiny. The only two criteria that matter to some. And shiny is sometimes optional.

What happens when the easement is up? The residents need to then find their own parking?
Yes. The garage was originally built as part of Harbor Towers, and I believe was designed, capacity-wise, to allow a parking space for x percentage of the 600+ residences in the towers. The easement creates a 'right' to a parking space in that garage. However, when the easement expires, the Harbor Tower residents would be compelled to find parking elsewhere, or continue parking at the Harbor Towers garage, but not at the presumably inexpensive rate they currently pay.

With the expiration of the easement, Chiofaro or whomever owns the garage in 2022 would not be required to find alternative parking for the Harbor Towers residents. You may remember Chiofaro had once proposed having a large floating garage built, and having the Harbor Towers residents use that while he built his Rhodian colossus at the water's edge. He never did identify where he would dock the the floating garage behemoth.

Thankfully, this thing is on the East side and since I never go over there, I will not have to see it.

1-EAST-RIVER-DAY.jpg

Well doesn't this look familiar!

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/...tal_towers_rising_in_first_avenue_mud_pit.php

If you think the rendering looks bad, try to imagine really hard what it will look like finished.

Don't agree with this negativity at all. It's just a basic rendering with little detail but the shapes are interesting. The connector bridge is clunky but the copper colored curtain walls are great.

It's the look of imminent collapse that I find visually jarring.

It looks like a cartoon of two skyscrapers dancing with each other.

I think it's awful, or at least a very bad angle. That connector thing ruins it.

It looks to me like two buildings got a case of the rickets.

Another project back from the dead(perhaps)
Taking on the perception that he is “stubborn,” developer Don Chiofaro presented new “ground up” public realm concepts for the Harbor Garage that would form the foundation of a future development at the property. “Our previous approach has obviously not been successful,” said Chiofaro. In response, he and his team have been “toiling the vineyards” to come up with harbor and Greenway enhancement ideas for the site that might be received with more enthusiasm.

As part of a reinvigorated effort to move forward, the owners are reaching out to local zoning officials and the community regarding the needs and wants for public space and amenities at the garage site. The presentation was made as part of a meeting with the Downtown Waterfront Municipal Harbor Planning Advisory Committee held on September 25, 2013 at Boston Harbor Hotel, Rowes Wharf. Chiofaro was joined by Fred Kramer and Tamara Roy of architectural design firm, ADD, Inc.

http://northendwaterfront.com/2013/...m-opportunities-at-harbor-garage-development/

Last edited:

^^^

I would ask for tax breaks and let the community build whatever they want.

That Garage is a serious SCAR on the Greenway.

Most important would love to know what the BRA is going to propose about Harbor Towers frontage that consumes a private pool for the tenants of the building that should be access to the Harbor & the Greenway for the citizens of Boston?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back