[ARCHIVED] Harbor Garage Redevelopment | 70 East India Row | Waterfront | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Boston Arch (Aquarium parking garage)

A lot of the reasons Boston's university town status hinders development are shared by SF. First, SF does have a lot of university affiliates from places like Stanford and Berkeley. Second, it has a lot of working professionals, and most of the reasons Boston is hard on development are not exclusively because it's a university town, but because it's a professionals' town. Lawyers, doctors, and researchers are all susceptible to the "tend my own garden" mentality, and most lack the time for engaged civic participation. The university town aspect merely lends itself, potentially, to the extra encumbrance of overbroad and unsympathetic thinking when it comes to justifications offered by developers.

(I also wonder if working and potentially living in campus environments affects academics' or university affiliates' attitudes toward urbanism. When you're immersed in and accept a towers-in-the-park development as an acceptable, workable model, you might have a skewed understanding of the dynamics of the street.)

I still don't think it is a university town, as one considers Boston to be.

I think it is as provincial as Boston, maybe even more so, in that a large percentage of its citizenry are generally happy with their city as it is.

What do you think Chiofaro would do with a 40 foot height limit? That's the height limit for new construction along the waterfront, including the Embarcadero. They are arguing whether to double the limit to 84 feet, and lots of people are opposed to any increase.

http://www.sfport.com/site/port_page.asp?id=117064

When the St. Francis hotel built its tower, do you for an instant believe the city would have let a tower be built if it cast daytime shadows on Union Square?

Here is San Francisco's planning director trashing Vancouver, and this in regard to a mega project on Treasure Island, where nobody's ox will be gored because they lose their vista, or sight lines (nobody lives there, or near there).

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/Island-development-slims-down-87297482.html

http://articles.sfgate.com/2010-04-12/news/20845453_1_open-space-mission-bay-ferry-building

But then there's this:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a...ancisco_approves_giant_redevelopment_project/

SAN FRANCISCO ? After more than 20 years of environmental cleanup efforts, San Francisco?s largest swath of undeveloped land will someday be home to thousands of families, as well as parks, businesses, and perhaps even a new football stadium.

The county Board of Supervisors last week overwhelmingly approved a project to turn the abandoned Hunters Point Naval Shipyard into a bustling 700-acre residential and commercial center on the southeast shoreline of San Francisco Bay.

^^^^^
ba-hunterspoint2_0500782260_part6.jpg

mn-shipyard_1_0500778876.jpg

You like????

Reminds me of the narrow South End section of Southwest Corridor Park, flanked by 4-5 story buildings on either side.

The second picture reminds me of that. The first picture reminds me of some of the suburbs built in Soviet cities after World War II -- massive housing projects far distant from the rest of the city, and without any compelling reason for a person to be there other than for sleeping.

Bingo, a New Urbanist-ish suburb rather than a city neighborhood. And from what I know of this, I have a feeling there will be lots of parking.

I dont understand why that ball game is so popular in california. Its like curling, but on sand

^ It's pretty much actually just bocce on sand, no?

Is that a faux-New Urbanist subdivision?

And I thought using Thoreau quotes to advertise the vast "Pinehills" development in Plymouth was wrong. What an insult to Olmsted.

Bingo, a New Urbanist-ish suburb rather than a city neighborhood. And from what I know of this, I have a feeling there will be lots of parking.
New Urbanism is in favor of lots of parking?

I thought it was bocce but didn't comment on it cause i wasn't sure. Having said that, who exactly will use that court. Maybe in an italian district you'll get some usage, but in the middle of a suburb project where you get random middle class young families who raise their children on iphones and that frog computer that teaches you how to read? No ones gonna touch it haha.

o well, san frans strange, maybe bocce is huge there...
/sort-of-rant

^ It's gotten trendy with teh youngs now (under the French names boules or petanque moreso than bocce).

I thought it was bocce but didn't comment on it cause i wasn't sure. Having said that, who exactly will use that court. Maybe in an italian district you'll get some usage, but in the middle of a suburb project where you get random middle class young families who raise their children on iphones and that frog computer that teaches you how to read? No ones gonna touch it haha.

o well, san frans strange, maybe bocce is huge there...
/sort-of-rant

Thats why I mentioned it. Im in fresno right now, and a new suburban housing development nearby has two bocce courts as its centerpiece.

Then again, the local "central park" has a 10 "lane" horseshoe thing. I dont even know what words describe these things.

Also, I mentioned this entire part of the city in another thread, and it was ignored. It's so much like boston its scary
http://www.archboston.org/community/showpost.php?p=106486&postcount=597

Thats why I mentioned it. Im in fresno right now, and a new suburban housing development nearby has two bocce courts as its centerpiece.

How do those not end up as giant cat litter boxes?

They don't allow unleashed kittens in San Francisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back