Are we still doing phrasing...?

Re: MassDOT Pike Parcels 12 - 15 | Boylston St. and Mass. Ave | Back Bay

Agree on both points. Question is, are they willing to move and can they afford to move?

Exactly. Not everyone wants to move to Boston. Some do, some don't. Some forgo potential better pay to stay in their comfort zone.

Also, the presence of unions in a given area boosts everyone's work standards and pay, including for those working outside of the union. There's only so long someone is willing to work at the same type of job nextdoor to someone else for less pay and crappier conditions. We don't need unions so that everyone is unionized (gosh that would be awful); we need unions to keep the scumbags (err, employers) honest.

Unions are good mmkay.

I find it hilarious when ordinary joe-shmoe rails against unions. So you're pro gigantic employers that fuck everybody?

Question is, are they willing to move and can they afford to move?

Give them first crack at it, particularly for the infrastructure construction jobs that are sorely needed to repair our roads, bridges, etc. Many could stay relatively local as far as the infrastructure is concerned. Not everybody will jump on the opportunity, but those that would all deserve their chance to before we turn to outsiders.

Fill any remaining shortfall with the migrants/immigrants. They also deserve their shot, just not first shot over current Americans.

Now I wish I'd just written "I'll believe it when I see it".

Culture wars!

Well, I am very old. Maybe two, three times as old as many forum members. Living fossil, apparently.

Never mind though.

Woof!

Ain't your fault Toby. Who could have guessed that such an innocuous comment like yours would have inspired such a bizarre response?

I have absolutely no idea what's going on with this sidebar.

Does that make me...*gulp*...an Old? :eek:

Depends, do you know what 'clockwise' means? Apparently it is some sort of old-timey slang. Us kids and our Casio watches don't know nothing about no 'clocks'.

...The fresh-faced earnestness of those my junior, and the pedantically argumentative armor of those my senior...

BetonBrut, this made me laugh. I feel stuck in the middle in this exact manner too.

(side note: I am going to try very hard to avoid political arguments on here from now on. I have contributed to derailments, when all I really care about is really cool development in our city. Shame on me.)

BetonBrut, this made me laugh. I feel stuck in the middle in this exact manner too.

Ask me about gender-politics and "fat-shaming" sometime.

I grew up laughing at George Carlin, Bill Hicks, and (pre-neo-con) Dennis Miller -- my occasional sarcasm has apparently aged poorly.

Give them first crack at it, particularly for the infrastructure construction jobs that are sorely needed to repair our roads, bridges, etc. Many could stay relatively local as far as the infrastructure is concerned. Not everybody will jump on the opportunity, but those that would all deserve their chance to before we turn to outsiders.

Fill any remaining shortfall with the migrants/immigrants. They also deserve their shot, just not first shot over current Americans.

The main problem I think is housing. These guys don't have a job and thus don't have money to move to places like Boston where housing is incredibly high. You want to give them a chance. Start hammering the point home to city government to push for large scale affordable housing, not the dinky 15% requirement they currently have in place.

Even people like me who do have a full-time job balk at moving to other cities because it's too expensive. Imagine how much harder it is for people who have nothing to begin with.

Clockwise? Sands of time don't know no clockwise. How's that for old school.

Anyway, love the South Park reference. My evening viewing: South Park, Hogan's Heroes, Family Guy.

Anyway, love the South Park reference. My evening viewing: South Park, Hogan's Heroes, Family Guy.

Among my favorite things about South Park is that both Mel Brooks and Norman Lear are fans. Again, dating myself...

Clockwise? Sands of time don't know no clockwise. How's that for old school.

Look at this youngster and his newfangled 'hour-glass'. In my day we had a stick in the ground and the sun and we liked it!

Point....

Counterpoint....

We could start by helping out-of-work Americans, such as all of the displaced coal miners and factory workers, convert into construction workers. There is plenty of motivated, rugged labor already inside the door and underutilized. But, who gives a shit about Americans when we have the rest of the planet to take care of, right?!?!

Do West Virginians want to relocate to New England to take advantage of our thriving economy? That is really a personal choice. I think the more motivated coal miners already packed their bags and went to North Dakota to extract an energy resource a bit more relevant to our times.

Also there isn't a shortage of manufacturing jobs, there's a shortage of people qualified to do the jobs. I'm a certified machinist, I'm well aware of how in demand we are.

^I think the issue is education, we need to make vocational programs more accessible to everyone especially the unemployed or underemployed.

^I think the issue is education, we need to make vocational programs more accessible to everyone especially the unemployed or underemployed.

Unfortunately the people who need it are the ones voting against more funding to education as well as tax breaks on the rich which can help fund education. Reap what you sow.

Back