Auto-free city?

statler

Reaction score
The absurd amounts on money spent on repairing the Tobin Bridge got me to thinking about how much we spend on auto infrastructure in this country and if it is possible to do without.

Ever wonder if it would be possible to build (or convert to) a fully private-auto free city?
The only vehicles in and out of the city would be delivery trucks, construction vehicles , emergency vehicles and mass transit. These vehicles would require a lot less infrastructure and it would need to be repaired a lot less frequintly.

What size population could such a system support? Would it be cost effective? Could the the money saved from infrastructure building and improvements be used to to lower taxes or build other amenities to attract people to live there?
Would the loss of revenue and jobs from auto-oriented businesses such as gas stations, drive-thrus, road construction and auto shops doom the city?

Are there any cities like this now? What cities come closest?

I met a guy at a meeting of the Association for Public Transit who told me he thought that we should eliminate all roads.

I hope these people stay too crazy for anyone to listen to them. The fact is that cars are great tools. What needs to change is our complete dependence on them. We need to have balanced cities, not ones where you ban certain kinds of transport.

Imagine Boston with no cars. Even if the T was expanded to my wildest dreams it would be crushed by the foot traffic.

That isn't to say we shouldn't limit cars. I am all for some kind of congestion charge in certain places.

Cars add just as much life as people but too many or too few of either is a bad thing

Fair enough.

For the record I love my car and for the most part I love driving. They really do make life a lot easier.

However I look at how much money and time we (as a society) spend on private autos and related infrastructure and I wonder if it really is worth it in an economic and societal sense. Just an interesting thought experiment I guess.

As you say, a truly balanced city should be the ultimate goal. It's finding that balance that, as in all other things, is nearly impossible. But the closer we get the better we are.

Venice, Italy is the prototypical auto-free city. Zermatt, Switzerland is another. Siena is not auto-free, but comes pretty close.

And the only people who live in Venice are tourists. You can't have a modern, healthy city grow and not have cars.

You dont need a car-free city, just a car free zone.

Downtown boston could easily be a car free zone.

You're right, I was being facetious. But my second point is still true.

What if, instead on banning cars or congestion tariffs we just stopped subsidizing them? Tear down the Tobin Bridge and not replace it. Rip out Storrow Dr. Narrow Congress St. Remove any infrastructure that is anti-urban. (What's the name of that overpass between the Back Bay and Kenmore Sq?)

The downside to this plan is massive traffic. This would negatively affect necessary deliveries of goods and the movement of emergency personal. People and businesses may choose to move out based on that.

Ideally though, the savings would be put back into the city in form of lower taxes, more pubic transportation and better amenities so everything would balance out and population would remain stable or even grow.

Just dreamin'.

statler said:
Just dreamin'.

Debbie Harry, one of my favorite New Yorkers, once astutely pointed out that dreamin' is free.

But this is Massachusetts after all, where even doing nothing has a cost associated with it. Take a ride through Storrow Drive Tunnel to see what I'm talking about.

I take the T to work every day; it's an hour door to door, from Orient Heights to Brookline Village. If I do drive (sometime I need to be someplace quickly after work), it's < 20 minutes. Even if I get a $15 parking ticket, those 40 minutes are worth something to me.

I'm in the same boat.

I take the T from Malden (Oak Grove) to downtown (P.O. Sq) factoring in walking time it a little better than 45 mins on a good day door to door.

When I occasionally work weekends I'll drive in (less traffic, much cheaper parking) and it's >15 min door to door.

Much cheaper parking?

On a Sunday, I could believe that. Meters aren't free from 8am - 8pm on Saturdays in the Post Office square area. So spending say ... an 8 hour shift on a Saturday is still going to cost you $8 where as parking at Oak Grove is $3.50 for 24 hours. But if you factor in the cost of gas driving there and the cost of the T...

statler said:
Tear down the Tobin Bridge and not replace it.

You can't "not replace it", since in the absence of a facility for cars, people would have to walk or bicycle or take buses .... all of which still need a bridge across the Mystic.

The predecessor to the Tobin was a drawbridge, which I wish hadn't been removed after the Tobin opened.

Ok, fair enough.

Tear down the Tobin and replace it with a less auto-centric, more urban scaled structure.

That is a laughably impractical idea. The Tobin is a HUGELY important connection to the north shore and is a necessity to keeping the region alive.

That doesn't mean that there aren't better alternatives. I would be in favor of a new bridge that had space for rapid transit, rail or bus, but any new bridge would have to be mainly for cars and trucks.

vanshnookenraggen said:
I would be in favor of a new bridge that had space for rapid transit, rail or bus, but any new bridge would have to be mainly for cars and trucks.

and also pedestrians and bikes! Which could use the old draw-bridge just fine, but can't use the Tobin. (Even if the Tobin had a sidewalk, few people would want to deal with the steep climb and descent; this is why there should be parallel high-span and draw bridges)

touqen said:
Much cheaper parking?

I was referring to parking at the Garage @ Post Office Sq. $33 on weekdays vs $9 on Sat. (free on street on Sundays)
Yeah, it's still cheaper to take the T on Sat but the lead time at 6am on a Sat morning is absurd. And it's not much better coming home. :x

As Beton said, I have better things to do with my time on the weekends, it's worth the $9.