Auto-free city?

That is a laughably impractical idea. The Tobin is a HUGELY important connection to the north shore and is a necessity to keeping the region alive.

That doesn't mean that there aren't better alternatives. I would be in favor of a new bridge that had space for rapid transit, rail or bus, but any new bridge would have to be mainly for cars and trucks.

To expand your idea above how about this:
Construct rail ways down the center of all major highways and routes in and around Boston (i.e. 93 N-S, 90 E-W, Rt-9, Rt-2, and Rt-3). It could be mono-rail, commuter rail, or something like the orange and red line. I wouldn?t oppose losing 1 or 2 lanes on major highways and routes for the addition of rail transit.

The deduction of one lane would increase traffic, but it would lead to more people using the train (which in turn will decrease traffic). Station would have to be strategically constructed around particular exits.

The trains would not have to journey off the highway into the city, they can make connection points at the nearest MBTA station (i.e. JFK, Savin Hill, Back Bay, Alewife, Sullivan, among others (I am not too familiar with commuter rails stops or Green Line Stops around major routes)). The main purpose of the rail ways will be to, follow all major highways and routes. It doesn?t necessarily have to be down the center of the highway, but must follow the same path.

I would not install rail ways on 95 N-S, because I would leave that use for the national traffic that is just trying to get north of south of Boston or Mass.

A better idea: put tollbooths up on 93 and generate some income off the north-south commuters (I don't know why Pike and Tobin users should be the only ones who have to pay to come into the city) and use the money to fund a better public transportation infrastructure?

I think a combination of aquaman and shockingboston's ideas is what is needed. Aquaman's idea would deter people from driving (I say toll 93...especially from out of state!) and Shockingboston's idea would provide incentive; a reasonable alternative in the form of public transit.
First provide the trains and then deter the car traffic. Sell it well and I don?t see why it wouldn?t work. I see it as our only sustainable option going forward.
This of course would work wonderfully if everyone were driving into Boston...however this isn't the case. A N-S link and corresponding bus/shuttle system would help.

Even though you'd save money on road infrastructure, there would be much more public transportation infrastructure to match the demand. Louis Kahn also wanted to create a car-free center of Philadelphia, but was quickly rebuffed. A few people talk about it in 'My Architect'. People simply didn't see it as a practical option for the city. It's one of those ideas that is great in theory, but if it didn't work in reality it could kill a city.

Modern high-speed tolling can and should be emplaced on all highways into the city just inside of the outer-most subway stations {e.g. 93 N and S} as well as replacing the old system on the Pike, Tunnels and Tobin Bridge

That would raise revenue for transportation maintenance and possibly new construction, speed traffic flow and as a side benefit make the T more economically competitive with driving and parking

A few other simple changes -- put Charlie Card readers at all the T {commuter rail, subway, commuter boat} and Logan Parking garages and lots

Then give every resident of Greater Boston -- a free Highway Transponder and a free Charlie Card.

if you don't have a transponder -- there could be an off road vending kiosk where you could borrow one for use -- with just a major credit card swipe and there would be a companion drop off stop to return it on the highway outbound from the city {or otherwise you would be charged some $25 for a one way use without returning the equipment}

Then layoff all the toll takers on the Pike, Bridges and Tunnels ? this would also make a major down the road cut in the Pike?s pension and benefits budget

Westy

To expand your idea above how about this:
Construct rail ways down the center of all major highways and routes in and around Boston (i.e. 93 N-S, 90 E-W, Rt-9, Rt-2, and Rt-3). It could be mono-rail, commuter rail, or something like the orange and red line. I wouldn?t oppose losing 1 or 2 lanes on major highways and routes for the addition of rail transit.

The deduction of one lane would increase traffic, but it would lead to more people using the train (which in turn will decrease traffic). Station would have to be strategically constructed around particular exits.

The trains would not have to journey off the highway into the city, they can make connection points at the nearest MBTA station (i.e. JFK, Savin Hill, Back Bay, Alewife, Sullivan, among others (I am not too familiar with commuter rails stops or Green Line Stops around major routes)). The main purpose of the rail ways will be to, follow all major highways and routes. It doesn?t necessarily have to be down the center of the highway, but must follow the same path.

I would not install rail ways on 95 N-S, because I would leave that use for the national traffic that is just trying to get north of south of Boston or Mass.

I like this idea. It has crossed my mind many times. I think the other half that needs to happen is the clustering of development around these highway stations. Once you get off at a station somewhere along 128 it would be good to be able to get somewhere without a car. Once you have some densely built "nodes" you could simply connect the dots with rapid transit.

But then again now I guess I am starting to talk about a car-free Greater Boston as opposed to just car-free Boston.

But then again now I guess I am starting to talk about a car-free Greater Boston as opposed to just car-free Boston.

You're certainly talking about a less car-dependent Greater Boston, which is a very good thing. There needs to be a much better balance of non-car travel in the office park corridors of Waltham, Newton, etc. The roads keep getting bigger and bigger and as expected the traffic continues to get worse.

People need more options, whether it be train, bus, bike, walking, etc. You can only build so many office buildings with huge parking lots before you get more traffic than you can possibly handle.

Back