AVA North Point II | Archtone phase II | East Cambridge

BeeLine

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: AVA North Point II/Archtone phase II/East Cambridge

This is one of the few non 35-40 bland residential towers that I have seen from Avalon.

The AVA brand is more upscale hip, reminds me of a W Hotels version of a rental building. I don't see this as that hip of an area, but interesting how they are marketing it nonetheless.

https://www.avaloncommunities.com/brand-ava

The area is very "hip" in all the wrong ways. A ton of drug dealers hang out in Canal Park just a block away (by Cambridgeside).

whoa ... is that right? Do they have anything on sale for the holidays?

cca

The area is very "hip" in all the wrong ways. A ton of drug dealers hang out in Canal Park just a block away (by Cambridgeside).

As someone who is around there every day for work, can you let me know where all these drug dealers are? Given the rising cost of a good pint I need to look at my other options. They must be hiding somewhere since I have never seen them though.

As someone who is around there every day for work, can you let me know where all these drug dealers are? Given the rising cost of a good pint I need to look at my other options. They must be hiding somewhere since I have never seen them though.

Late afternoon, early evening, area near the Land Boulevard bridge down at canal level. Follow all the kids making a casual stop there before heading into the mall. Obviously busier in warm weather.

Late afternoon, early evening, area near the Land Boulevard bridge down at canal level. Follow all the kids making a casual stop there before heading into the mall. Obviously busier in warm weather.

Yup never seen that in the last 2 years...

Yup never seen that in the last 2 years...

Yeah, we've lived across the street for almost four years and haven't noted anything like that, either.

Yeah, we've lived across the street for almost four years and haven't noted anything like that, either.

I move out of my office there about 3 years ago, so it could have changed. Cambridge police were cracking down a lot to try to break up the trade.

Last edited:

I move out of my off there about 3 years ago, so it could have changed. Cambridge police were cracking down a lot to try to break up the trade.

I can remember it being pretty sketchy in that spot ten years ago back when Monitor Group was closing and IBM/Lotus were still wasting most of their emptied-out office space. Post-9/11 economic dip left that area a little thin on foot-traffic mid-evening after rush hour because the 2nd-shift jobs had temporarily wilted away.

But that was a long time ago in a very different era. Once the evening foot traffic came back there were too many eyes watching...and too many new electronic eyes as foot traffic re-increased. The dealers long ago moved on to other less-scrutinized spots.

^ These residents are going to be really sorry that the Green Line viaduct work wasn't completed before this was built. Going to be pretty annoying for a few years outside those windows on the McGrath highway side.

Is that work related to GLX? Or just maintenance

All of the green steel track is going to be torn down. It will be replaced with a concrete structure all the way up to the current bridge near Museum Way. Lechmere and Science Park will have to be closed during construction. Maybe the tear down won't be as bad as it sounds. They were able to tear down the elevated section of the Green Line around North Station relatively quickly as I remember.

All of the green steel track is going to be torn down. It will be replaced with a concrete structure all the way up to the current bridge near Museum Way. Lechmere and Science Park will have to be closed during construction. Maybe the tear down won't be as bad as it sounds. They were able to tear down the elevated section of the Green Line around North Station relatively quickly as I remember.

Yes, but the North Station El demolition was only demolition. The rebuild was all underground, out of sight.

This rebuild is right back in the same narrow right-of-way, above ground in front of the apartment windows.

@Jeff: Right you are.

At the last meeting, Avalon tried to deflect questions about "who would want to live on that side?" by offering that the north end of the second phase of Phase II would "probably sport a Starbucks". Of course, they admitted they didn't know if it would connect to the first platform or not since ... there probably wouldn't be a platform yet. :p

Back