AVA North Point II | Archtone phase II | East Cambridge

I am trying to orient myself on this. Is this on the other side of the tracks from Museum of Science abutting Boston Sand & Gravel?

^^ Not that far south or west. It is north of the AVA tower (Leighton Str.) and between the green line on the west and Glassworks Ave on the east.

From Friday, 17 March.

GHE7yvQl.jpg

9MelpZcl.jpg

Thank you, Bee!

I have about 20 images on my device I can delete now.

For those wondering, PII building one ("U" shaped) is mostly done, with one section at 6 levels (top), half of one at 6 and five, and the remainder at 4-ish/5-ish. The third section (visible when looking south toward Avalon Northpoint tower) features a lifted portion, mostly concrete, that took a long time to pour, form, and finish. Only one third has windows. There are lots of rolls of batting on the first floor near the parking ramps and main entrances. No lights at night (no fire mitigation yet).

Building two, the smaller of the two, is progressing rather quickly since there seem to be more poured concrete sections than in building one, at least on the ground floor.

I will try to do better for folks eager (as we) to see the new lab building on the other side of S+T from this project when it gets underway...at this point, it's mostly just the "seas", present in some form since Thanksgiving.

The problem is poorly maintained fire protection.

You have a backlog of older buildings all over country........

Last edited:
Oh wow, I didn't know this was so close to Lechmere station. That will be a great selling point.

You will be able to feel the rumble in your toes.

I am just kidding. I would love to live that close to transit (and I do ... and its awesome)

cca

Does someone have the diagram of how they are going to shift the Green Line across the street? I know it's been posted a few times.

Oh wow, I didn't know this was so close to Lechmere station. That will be a great selling point.

If the sound deadening is good in the building then it actually could be a huge selling point. Walk outside and your at the station, thats actually a major selling point.

If the sound deadening is good in the building then it actually could be a huge selling point. Walk outside and your at the station, thats actually a major selling point.

At one of our Northpoint meetings, the Avalon folks debuted an amended plan set, developed in concert with the MBTA, to connect stairs from the coffee house's mini plaza (north end of building two) to the south access point of the new Lechmere station (the north access point was to have been at Zinc).

They also noted that if plans weren't solidified for the viaduct's rerouting prior to beginning above grade construction on building two, they would scuttle the connection portion of the project. Unfortunately, building two shows none of the structural connecting elements present in the presentation's "if...then" argument given that it is deep into the second story. I suppose they could retrofit it, but that is probably unlikely.

Great pictures Beeline! Thanks!

I still don't get why they cheaped-out with wood instead of poured concrete. It's really disappointing and doesn't belong in a dense city parcel.

Back