Avalon Exeter | 77 Exeter Street | Back Bay

Re: New Tower(s) Planned For Prudential Center

Either store should really help Boylston continue to revive northward.

Does L&T do that well? Since it is owned by Federated, I always assumed they would rebrand it as a Bloomies, but I suppose it does cater to the large older population in Back Bay and Beacon Hill.

Either store should really help Boylston continue to revive northward.

Does L&T do that well? Since it is owned by Federated, I always assumed they would rebrand it as a Bloomies, but I suppose it does cater to the large older population in Back Bay and Beacon Hill.

A couple of years ago, there was a rumor than L&T would leave Back Bay and that Bloomingdales would occupy that space. L&T ended up signing a long-term lease to remain in its current location and the streetfront was rehabbed a bit. I'd suspect L&T will remain for some time. Honestly, though, I don't know how L&T survives as I feel like the store is empty 95% of the time I'm in there.

My preference for the new space would be a Nordstrom, which I love as a retailer. Selfishly, I like the Bloomingdales mens store in Chestnut Hill and I think opening a Pru Bloomies would be to the detriment of the entire Chestnut Hill Mall.

L & T is not owned by federated. It was sold off a couple of years ago and is now privately owned.

Don't forget about the rumor that Jordan's Furniture was going to go into the L&T building.

The new face of the Pru?; New renderings of Prudential Towers unveiled

by Dan Salerno

Boston Properties unveiled a series of updated renderings for its two ambitious development projects for the Prudential, showing designs tweaked to address the concerns of a public advisory body.

The two buildings?an office and retail mixed use tower at 888 Boylston and a residential tower on Exeter Street?have both undergone intense design review by members of the Prudential Project Advisory Committee (PruPAC), which has worked with the developers and architects since 2007.

The centerpiece of last week?s presentation were the new visualizations of 888 Boylston Street: a 17 story glass office tower with ground floor retail fronted by a sprawling new tree-lined pedestrian plaza. The images showed a redesigned building base that clearly distinguished the bottom two retail levels from the office stories stretching above. The glass fa?ade will be transparent enough to provide a sense of activity to pedestrians in the plaza.

The response to the latest designs were generally highly positive.

?The redesign makes the resolution at the base quite nice,? said PruPAC member Eliot Laffer. ?The space really works a lot better now.?

Design subcommittee chairperson David Racino said that he was impressed by the plaza. ?It will help the place to be that much more active,? he said.

The ground floor retail levels of the new tower could end up being the home of a major new department store retail anchor, according to Boston Properties. Rumors have been floated that either Bloomingdales or Nordstrom?s could eventually fill the space, though the developers would not confirm that. There will be approximately 100,000 potential square feet of retail space, depending on how many floors are eventually dedicated to that use.

In addition to the tower and plaza, the 888 Boylston Street development will include the complete redesign and refurbishment of the entrance to the Shops at the Prudential Center. The new entrance will be done in the same glass design as the new tower.

?The new entrance is hands down a stroke of genius,? said Meg Mainzer Cohen, a PruPAC member and head of the Back Bay Association.

The new renderings for the Exeter Street residences also met with a generally favorable response. PruPAC members responded particularly well to the incorporation of design elements from the historic Lenox Hotel into the new building, though there was some skepticism expressed about an exterior staircase that bisects part of the building, allowing pedestrian access to a central courtyard.

Both designs will be presented at a public meeting on September 23, to be held at 6 p.m. in the mezzanine conference room of the Boston Public Library.

LINK

Can't find these renderings...can anyone else?

The glass fa?ade will be transparent enough to provide a sense of activity to pedestrians in the plaza.

Bullshit. Bullshit. Bullshit.

I really don't think anything 17 stories should qualify as a "tower." When I hear a TOWER is being built I get all excited. Then I feel all mislead when i read it's only 17 stories. By the way, what's the deal with airplane peanuts......

Tower describes a ratio of height to width, not height alone. The Custom Hosue isn't very tall by current standards, but it's still a tower. I'd have to see a drawing to decide whether this is a tower.

Glass at street level is always a good thing for a building with retail stores.

Can't find these renderings...can anyone else?these are on here already!
xxxxxhullseagull2008053.jpg
xxxxxhullseagull2008051.jpg

It would be interesting if it were lit in a violet color. Artistic license, one supposes.

It would be interesting if it were lit in a violet color. Artistic license, one supposes.

The same artistic license that gave the Prudential a non-square shape, I suppose.

Isn't perspective in like, Art 101 or something?

Ha! Tell it to Frank Gehry!

The rendering in the latest Sun of 888 Boylston is slightly different than those posted in this thread. It's the same as the old ones in every way, except now the first two floors of the building step back horizontally along the plaza instead of curving with the facade. Nothing earth-shattering.

I'll scan the image and post it when I get a chance.

There was no new rendering of the Exeter tower.

at the risk of sounding like a nimby, i'm not sure an all glass tower of this scale is appropriate here.

... btw, this is definitely NOT a tower.

How far off the curb would the Pru Tower be? One thing I don't like about the Mandarin is that it's so linear along the street. That whole sidealk along the hotel is not very nice imo and I wouldn't want that side of upper Boylston street to become this tall clustered avenue imposing itself against the opposite side which is very nice and walkable and generally short in height.

Though the height of the Pru tower doesn't seem too bad I just hope it would be pushed back off the street along with the new Pru entrance. One thing I don't like about the Filene's Franklin tower is that it is too tall and not ideal for that location.

The Exeter 'tower' looks fine....nothing much to say about that....it's a low impact undertaking.

Last edited:

The proposed Pru tower will be set back by 70ish feet from the lot line last I knew, although there have been design changes since I learned of that info two years ago.

But why is the Filene's tower too tall/not ideal? This is a natural location for a 40-ish story tower to go up, as it's on the edge of the existing skyscraper core (33 Arch and 99 Summer are a stone's throw away) and it's one of the few sites in the financial district big enough to support modern office floorplates. Also, I feel its mixed uses, although more high-end than what exists in the immediate vicinity, should be a boon to the area.

Also, this is of course of personal opinion, but I like the high streetwall the Mandarin creates. I keep wishing that the north side of Boylston (like where Anthropologie is) would be redeveloped to complete the canyon effect. I mean, who needs to see the sky anyway? ;)

You're right, KZ. I, too, like the high steet wall created by the Mandarin, and I find disappointment in some of the pathetic, cringing structures currently occupying the other side of Boylston....AND, the Filene's Tower could actually be about 50 to 60 feet taller to achieve a better sense of proportion.

Final public meeting is tonight, 6pm, Boston Public Library. If you can't go to the meeting, it is really, really easy to drop a quick email in support to the BRA. If you like any of these projects, it literally takes 2-3 minutes to shoot over and email (email address is below).

This is from the NABB e-mail chain (I got myself on it so I can have a good laugh!):

The BRA scheduled the final public meeting in the Article 80 process for these projects for September 23rd at 6PM in the Boston Public Library, Conference Room C0506. We encourage you to attend this meeting and to comment. These proposals exceed the limits of height and density in the approved Prudential Center Master Plan and the Boston Zoning Code. The Draft Project Impact Report indicates that our neighborhood will bear the burden of the environmental impacts: solar glare impacts, additional wind at street level, and new shadows in the neighborhood.

For an advance look at the design, go to the project page on the BRA website:
http://www.cityofboston.gov/bra/Dev...opment/DPIR/Prudential Redevelopment_DPIR.pdf.

Please get involved. Attend the meeting if you can and submit your written comments as listed in the Courant Ad to:
John O?Brien, Project Director, BRA
22 Drydock Avenue, South Boston, MA 02210
Phone: 617-918-6224
John.Obrien.BRA@cityofboston.gov

who are the architects for each project?
Does CBT have one and Elkus/Manfedi the other?

Yes, I believe that Elkus/Manfredi did the AvalonExeter building, and CBT did 888 Boylston.

Back