AvalonBay Tower (Jacob Wirth's) | 45 Stuart Street | Downtown

Re: Jacob Wirth's

Buy these buildings at the corner of Tremont and Stuart streets, tear them down, and put up a mixed-use complex - street level retail, restaurants, and bars (with room for the Intermission Lounge and the Tam), with a hotel tower and a residential tower.

I would prefer if those buildings were redeveloped in groups of ones and twos. That way you get smaller footprints than if you buy them all, tear them down and put up a complex with 25,000 SF floor plates.

Hmmm, I guess I like the scene the way it is, even if it looks worn in spots. I'm not looking forward to the day the Tam, the Intermission Tavern and the reasonably priced Montien Thai are all swept away by "progress."

Is the Intermission Lounge on Tremont the same as the old Intermission Lounge on Washington?

The Tufts Medical Center really deadens that stretch. Actually a lot of things contribute to it. So any new development would be welcome.

I was involved in a previous effort here...we approached the owners of the small parcels. As is often the case when one tries to do an assemblage with a variety of small property owners, they have an outsized sense of their asset's value. And inevitably, one of the many owners will hold out and the whole deal will collapse.

I was involved in a previous effort here...we approached the owners of the small parcels. As is often the case when one tries to do an assemblage with a variety of small property owners, they have an outsized sense of their asset's value. And inevitably, one of the many owners will hold out and the whole deal will collapse.

I've always assumed that's why those last couple parcels of small buildings across the RKG from Atlantic Wharf have never been redeveloped. One of those buildings has had a "For Sale" sign several times in the past.

Putting this post from the Kensington thread in dialogue with this one:

Notice how all the pedestrians gravitate to the left side of the street going in and out of all those small businesses housed in tattered buidings whereas the relatively newly constructed Archstone apartments building presents a vapid streewall to Beach St. A reminder that although density is desirable in the city, I wouldn't trade it for the loss of intricately scaled urbanity.

Just walked by on the way to the Tam. Parking lot is fenced off. Construction imminent?

construction fenced off or just closed for the blizzard?

Looks like construction fence. The gates that allowed cars in and out have also been removed from the front of the lot.

I happened to walk by today and snap a picture. The gate equipment has been removed, however the signage remains.

Still, looks promising.

picture.php

maybe they just did that so the city doesn't dump snow on the lot, which is good news because that could take until May to melt!

FWIW...I called the phone number listed for this parking lot on LAZ's Web site and the number has been disconnected. Yes, I'm bored. It's a blizzard. Sue me.

FWIW...I called the phone number listed for this parking lot on LAZ's Web site and the number has been disconnected. Yes, I'm bored. It's a blizzard. Sue me.

I've found this doesn't seem to mean all that much. When I was interning in the Malden Mayor's office, I had to call some LAZ lots/garages to add up parking spaces. Some numbers were dead. Sometimes different numbers for different lots would actually just go to only one lot. LAZ is a bit of a pain.

A number of articles from late last year said construction could start by end of 2012, so it seems that they were close to ready to start. Likely means they are about to start.

"AvalonBay Communities is close to starting its 29-story residential tower at 45 Stuart St" http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/p...on-braces-for-another-pickup-in.html?page=all

"The 404-unit 45 Stuart Street, O.K.'d by the city last fall, is expected to now break ground before the end of 2012." http://boston.curbed.com/archives/2012/07/45-stuart-to-stretch-over-jacob-wirth-elevate-cars.php

Last edited:

This from Bisnow last month:

AvalonBay development VP Michael Roberts tells us his firm has 1,000 apartment units under construction, totaling $300M, and 1,500 more in the pipeline. (Above he's with Lars Unhjem and Amy Rawlings at their new development in Natick.) Urban core projects can fetch rents in the $4 to $5/SF range; infill and suburban properties near jobs and transportation offer lower rents. In Q1, Michael's team will deliver new units in Somerville and Back Bay and start construction at 45 Stuart St downtown. Meanwhile, permitting is under way for a 500-apartment project in North Station.

404 units at Jacob Wirth makes this the 3rd largest amount of units currently permitted in Boston (AFAIK, anyway). #1 is Filene's at 500, and #2 is the Ink Block at 471.

Do we have a final height and design for this one?

Also, do we have a final height for the building replacing the Dainty Dot?

The height is 316' to the top of mechanicals and 120 Kingston Street is
290' to the top of mechanicals.

Back