nico

Reaction score
Perhaps a new thread is necessary...

More options
May 2, 2011
School of Law to Get Major Face-lift
Two trustees kick off $20 million fundraiser
By Rich Barlow
The LAW tower needs new space and refurbishing. Photo courtesy of BU School of Law
Already laying claim to a top-caliber faculty, the School of Law now plans to build educational space to match.

A planned renovation of LAW?s 265-foot tower, involving interior upgrades and construction of a new west wing, has been jump-started by two BU trustees. Stephen Zide (LAW?86), managing director of Bain Capital, in New York, gave $1 million, and Richard Cartier Godfrey (LAW?79), a senior partner at the firm Kirkland & Ellis, in Chicago has given $1.5 million. They are among almost two dozen ?founding partners? who have already pledged contributions to the project.

The University has agreed to underwrite the bulk of the renovation and construction project?$141 million?but is asking donors to contribute $20 million to fund the rest by May 2012, when officials hope that groundbreaking on the new wing will start.

LAW is ?one of the true jewels of BU?s crown,? BU President Robert A. Brown has said. ?Now it is time for us to make a major strategic investment to support the school in its tradition of excellence.?

?The law school?s continued excellence is central to the University?s goal of being one of the leading urban universities,? Zide says. ?During my time as a student there a quarter-century ago, the law school tower needed improvements to bring the facilities in line with the quality of the faculty and the balance of the educational experience.?

The half-century old tower?s deficiencies include some that impede education, LAW leaders say. Acoustic and visual impairments hamper learning in some classrooms with steeply tiered seating, the result of configuring space in a vertical building. Study space is in tight supply; the heating, air conditioning, roof, and windows are antiquated; and there can be long elevator waits during peak hours to reach classrooms that are as high as the 15th floor.

The new west wing, to sit atop what is now a courtyard and underground heating plant, will house most of LAW?s classrooms, new study space, and a new library to complement the existing Pappas Law Library. Construction of the wing is expected to take two years, and the rest of the tower will be renovated over the next 15 months, says Cornell L. Stinson, LAW assistant dean for development and alumni relations.

In addition to utility improvements, faculty and administrative offices will move to the upper floors, and a pedestrian concourse will be added to the ground floor, with an atrium and stairway on the east end for a new main entrance.

?Overall, the main flow of people on our campus will be horizontal, rather than vertical,? according to a LAW brochure on the project.

Giving to the project, Zide says, represents ?an opportunity to be part of both solidifying the leadership of the law school and moving BU forward toward its goals.?

Rich Barlow can be reached at barlowr@bu.edu.

I'm not sure if renderings have been released yet, but here are the massing model from the Bruner/Cott preservation study:

1.jpg

This includes the proposed 9 story addition.

BU waiting until the students leave for summer to release plans for a new building?

I'm shocked!

It's not like this would be the third year in a row they do it.

Mind you, this project has been in the works for ages. I believe groundbreaking was originally planned for 2009, but delayed due to the 2008 financial stuff (endowment dropped).

My concern with the massing model is that the area between CAS and LAQ is already a very cold wind-tunnel, and this building might just make it worse. I hope they're taking the wind on the ground into account.

Also, at 9 stories, it will further disturb the symmetry between CAS and Theology (buildings on both sides of the chapel).

I hope they go with concrete (or stone) and not the modern BU glass and stucco.

Keep in mind that what is released is not a groundbreaking plan, rather a campaign announcement, which is typical for a summer launch (I learned this recently when working with a Jimmy Fund campaign). The groundbreaking cannot start until they have raised $12 million (that'll be well into the Fall semester). And as you said yourself, this is not a surprise announcement. There was a Boston Globe article late last year about BU's capital campaign and Law campaign.

There is a yet to be released Law brochure that I was able to take a peek at (it's in the Law Alumni Office for those interested) and the addition is a lot of glass and a concrete base (like Mugar and GSU).

I thought that the earlier announcement said that the addition would be 5 stories. Now it will be 9 stories?

Been lurking here for a while, and finally see something I feel remotely qualified to chime in on.

The massing model above is wrong on height -- the more recent render gets it right -- but I think it's correct on the footprint. A couple months back they marked off the footprint with lime, and those lines (with a few stakes at the corners) are still barely there if you head back and see the site. It looks like the building will connect with the tower on its west and maybe south sides, but that there will be about 10-20 feet of space between the addition and the main library. Over the summer this whole area was closed off while workers relocated utilities in the area. I would guess that they'll try to do more work this summer if they feel like they can proceed from a funding standpoint.

The current tower is functionally broken -- the 14th and 15th floors each have classrooms that seat more than 100 students, and they're always occupied at the same time of day. The five other classrooms of that size are on the 8th (x2), 6th, and 5th (x2) floors. The resultant elevator crunch (six cars, poorly programmed, as administration will admit) is essentially unsolvable unless you can bring those classrooms down from the heights. Meanwhile, the ventilation system is one of those charming heat-or-AC-only systems that takes a week to change over and can only be controlled by adjusting whatever windows can be forced open. Externally the tower looks like it could use some TLC as well.

The school (currently at #22 in U.S. News) could be ranked closer to Harvard (#2) than to BC (#26) for its faculty and offerings, but the facilities scare off many top prospective students and depress the admissions reports. There's every reason to believe that BU will make sure this project will be the one that gets done, unlike the Tower II proposal from a decade ago -- they can't stay competitive and continue to put it off.

The current tower is functionally broken -- the 14th and 15th floors each have classrooms that seat more than 100 students, and they're always occupied at the same time of day. The five other classrooms of that size are on the 8th (x2), 6th, and 5th (x2) floors. The resultant elevator crunch (six cars, poorly programmed, as administration will admit) is essentially unsolvable unless you can bring those classrooms down from the heights.

If they are Westinghouse or Haughton, a quick Schindler TXpress mod would improve the situation. A Schindler Miconic 10 (or any destination dispatch) mod would work wonders though.

*The original article from May says that the classrooms will pretty much all be in the new building and the high floors of the tower will be converted to admin offices, which will reduce elevator loads greatly.

Last edited:
A few additional renderings for the expansion (I believe these are still schematic in nature):

LG-IMAGE-3.1.jpg

LG-IMAGE-3.2.jpg

LG-IMAGE-3.3.jpg

LG-IMAGE-3.4.jpg

LG-IMAGE-3.5.jpg

LG-IMAGE-3.6.jpg

Action at this site this week. Fencing is up, trees have come down. Cramped quarters for pedestrians back there; will be interesting to see if it feels that way once the building is built.

Interesting they are moving forward so quickly seeing that their $20M renovation campaign seems to have stalled at about 65%. Wonder if they will economize the design at all or if they school will just take on the extra debt.

The mash-up with the Brutalist tower could be a train wreck. Or it could be cool. We'll see.

I wish they would follow BC's lead and build a modern interpretation of their neo-whateveritis campus. It could be an opportunity to build something striking, but instead it will add yet another layer to the mis-mash of the central campus architecture.

Back