Back Bay Garage Tower | Dartmouth and Stuart | Back Bay

I hope it fails and goes back to the drawing board. No need for more office space, and definitely no need to add one of the city's ugliest structures right next to one of our grandest. Cut the tower footprint, angle it away from the Hancock, add 50% to the height, and make it residential. There's no reason to have a "tower" take up the entire footprint of that cursed garage!

Yep, pretty sure you said that a few times already.

I think it would also be nice to open up back bay station so the (right of way i guess you could call it) from the southwest corridor park could continue on in the future towards whatevers going to be built above the pike parcels. You could have a bike/ped connection all the way from the mass ave OL station, all the way down the pike, connected to the greenway, and ending up around govt center or with a pedestrianized canal st, north station. They dont need to do any thing crazy now, but as the station and each parcel gets developed over time they should follow an overall masterplan to make this happen vs just developing everything as a bunch of disconnected projects.

Is JUGOS still open?? That place makes killer smoothies.
Yes! I panicked over the weekend when I didn't see it. It's now inside in the former Dunkin Donuts space that's near the OL entrance.

Yes! I panicked over the weekend when I didn't see it. It's now inside in the former Dunkin Donuts space that's near the OL entrance.

that Dunkin’ Donuts is still there that is actually a new retail slot

The latest info on the project. Looks like the state updated the rent term and set some dates for start of construction.

“If the Tenant commences material and substantial construction of the Project after August 1, 2024, but on or before August 1, 2028, Base Rent is due in the amount of $20,086,933 plus the increase in the consumer price index for the period of time from August 1, 2015. If Tenant has not commenced material and substantial construction of the Project by August 1, 2028, Base Rent shall be reset to the then-current market rate. Preconstruction Rent in the amount of $250,000.00 is due on the Commencement Date and on each anniversary of the Commencement Date until Tenant commences material and substantial construction of the Project.“If the Tenant commences material and substantial construction of the Project after August 1, 2024, but on or before August 1, 2028, Base Rent is due in the amount of $20,086,933 plus the increase in the consumer price index for the period of time from August 1, 2015. If Tenant has not commenced material and substantial construction of the Project by August 1, 2028, Base Rent shall be reset to the then-current market rate. Pre-construction Rent in the amount of $250,000.00 is due on the Commencement Date and on each anniversary of the Commencement Date until Tenant commences material and substantial construction of the Project.”

Presentation from this past may

So if they do nothing for 5 years, the rent due after 8/1/28 is just the market rate at that time? This doesn't look to me like it will start any time soon.

Anyone know if the redo of Back Bay Station as part of this includes finally getting full highs on all the tracks?

Spoke to one of the construction guys on site. The space formerly occupied by the cleaners and the smoothie spot, is being built/fitted out for Eastern Bank. Once the bank relocates from its current perch under the Clarendon/Dartmouth St. garage (along with Harvard Vanguard), demo could technically begin at that point.

2/12

Attachments

• 20240212_111527.jpg
    20240212_111527.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 309
  • 20240212_111553.jpg
    20240212_111553.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 308
Check the Fenway Center thread for a background. According to Scott Bosworth (Director of TOD at the T), the lease for this project is on the governor's desk and should be expected to start soon. The sign for Eastern Bank was moved recently, so assuming the interior is done, this matches up with what was said above.

Is there really demand for more office space? I don't want this fat travesty built next to the Hancock. It's going to take a giant dump on the Back Bay postcard views. I know many of you don't care, but I have higher standards and Boston deserves better than this.

1708540769189.png

Is there really demand for more office space? I don't want this fat travesty built next to the Hancock. It's going to take a giant dump on the Back Bay postcard views. I know many of you don't care, but I have higher standards and Boston deserves better than this.

View attachment 47822
Here we have it folks, a perfect featureless cube of capital dropped onto Boston's downtown. So shiny that you can't even observe it directly.

View attachment 47822

Agreed. I would like this project so much more if it was half the height and didn’t have the hanging.

View attachment 47822
The demand for new class A space is quite different from the demand for B/C space...

Back