Bay Village Apartment Tower | 212 Stuart St. | Bay Village

Re: 212 Stuart St

Even then, the Cocoanut Grove was only on the southwestern-most corner of the Radisson lot. I guess I'm most curious about what was at the corner of Charles and Stuart. Row homes? Circa 1900 commercial structures?

The street pattern was different then; Charles Street did not continue south beyond Boylston. Instead, there was Carver Street and Broadway.

Photographic tour of exterior of this building and Bay Village if anyone wants to post jpegs for me. Send e-mail.

Here are tobyjug's photos of 212 Stuart Street and the surrounding area (Bay Village):

L1050605.jpg

L1050602.jpg

L1050599.jpg

L1050597.jpg

L1050593.jpg

L1050591.jpg

L1050588.jpg

L1050587.jpg

L1050579.jpg

L1050578.jpg

Re: the photos. The "Hairenik Association" inscription used to be in the area to the left of the "1939". The stonework was replaced when the building went "upscale". FYI, if you were a theatre owner and wanted to exhibit a Three Stooges short subject film, you'd be visiting the "Columbia Building" at 45 Church St. It was Columbia Pictures' distribution center for the region.

This neighborhood used to have a number of movie-related offices. I don't think any remain today.

The Banker & Tradesman article originally posted was the "Breaking News" version; when the paper hit the streets, the article was a bit longer. It includes info on other developments of note, including the Jacob Wirth condo / hotel project, the Wilbur Theater condo project, and W Hotel.

The curtain has fallen on another condominium project in Boston?s Theater District.

Next month, Hera Development Corp. is expected to file plans with the city for a 68,000-square-foot office building at 212 Stuart St. The 10-story facility replaces a previous proposal for luxury condos at the downtown site.

Under the latest proposal, the former JAE?s restaurant would be razed to make way for offices. Retail is planned for the first two floors, with Class A office space on floors three through 10.

Gary W. Hendren, project architect, has met with residents of the nearby Bay Village neighborhood to refine the project. He said the neighbors have agreed to write a letter to the Boston Redevelopment Authority ?not opposing? the $30 million project.

?Our proposal has gone through five iterations responding to the neighborhood?s comments,? Hendren said. ?We started at 12 stories but agreed to 10 after meeting with the neighbors. The JAE?s building alone had been approved at 115 feet and the neighborhood wanted 110 feet, so we compromised at 112 feet. I believe we have a very good relationship with the neighborhood.?

Brian Boisvert, president of the Bay Village Neighborhood Association, said residents consider the parcel an important gateway to the area. But he said concerns about height, density and historic preservation have been resolved.

?The developer and the architect have been very responsive to our concerns,? Boisvert said. ?They?re making sure that the facade along the Shawmut Avenue side will have the appropriate look, detail and scale in keeping with the neighborhood. They also agreed to set back the side of the building that faces Church Street to make sure that section remains pedestrian-friendly.?

The 212 Stuart St. property was built in 1840 as a religious center for the German United Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Society. Later, the building became the Hope Chapel, and in 1985 was occupied by JAE?s restaurant. The building was vacated by the Pan-Asian eatery in 1999.

In 2006, the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved demolition of the 3-story JAE?s building by Ceres Realty Fund and Urban Residential. The team planned a new structure with 18 condominiums, including two penthouse units. But the $12 million project was never built and Hera bought the former restaurant site in November for $6.5 million. The developer also is negotiating to purchase the adjacent parking lot.

Nicholas Heras did not return repeated calls seeking comment.

Ceres and Urban were not the only developers to abandon downtown condominium projects. In 2006, Weston Assoc. planned a 28-story building in a parking lot adjacent to the Jacob Wirth Restaurant, a historic eatery near Washington Street that specializes in German food.

The 340,000-square-foot development would have contained 112 hotel rooms on the first six floors, 181 luxury condominiums on the upper levels and 219 underground parking spaces. But that project also was abandoned due to market conditions, the developer said.

Ironically, the switch from housing to offices comes as sales of luxury condominiums priced at $1 million or more in Boston increased by 8 percent last year to 435 units, up from 403 in 2006, according to statistics from The Warren Group, parent company of Banker & Tradesman. But developers say despite rising sales, banks are reluctant to lend money on residential projects.

?Luxury sales in the downtown are doing OK, but the condo market is narrow and there?s very little room for error,? said John Rosenthal, developer of One Kenmore, who has seen the number of units in his proposed 1.3 million-square-foot development over the Massachusetts Turnpike near Fenway Park reduced to 282 apartments from 688 condos. ?The other factor is there?s a saturation of luxury condos that were approved at the same time.?

Still, not all housing projects in the Theater District have been scrapped. The W Hotel at Tremont and Stuart streets is under construction and is slated to include 235 rooms and 123 luxury condominiums on the upper floors.

In addition, the former ticket-trailer lot next door to the Wilbur Theatre has been approved for 54 studio condominiums with a restaurant on the first and second floors. The project by Amherst Media Investors and Abbott Real Estate Development has yet to break ground.

Source: $30M Office Proposal Replaces Condo Plans at Boston Building - By Thomas Grillo, Banker & Tradesman (subscription required)

L10605842.jpg

What's this I see? An open door? Toby likes open doors.

L10605922.jpg

"Yoo hoo! Anyone home?"

L10606082.jpg

First floor looks kind of deserted!

L10605952.jpg

A demolished stair shaft. Let's see what's up stairs.

L10605982.jpg

Nothing over there.

L10606012.jpg

No one here.

L10606072.jpg

Nobody over on the Stuart St. side of the second floor either. Better have a look upstairs to be on the safe side...

L10606022.jpg

Am I unlevel or is it the floor?

L10606032.jpg

What's out there?

L10606042.jpg

I hear someone. Time to go!

^that's dedication! thank you, tobyjug.

though, of course, no one here encourages trespassing.

Tobyjug,

Thanks for the tour. Your prose is a riot. I felt like I was spelunking right there with you!

Is this building being prepared for demolition, or for restoration?

tobyjug = my new favorite forum member

Those pictures are scientific evidence that toby is equal to or greater than a major bad ass. QED!

Thanks guys. Everyone is so down about C.C. that the board is like WEEI after this year's Superbowl. Just want to give a little light diversion!
Toby

Is this building being prepared for demolition, or for restoration?

P.S. Wanted to add that when I was inside, the interior was gutted, as you can see from the photos. There was nothing of any particular merit left, in fact, nothing left.
The spaces inside are big and airy. I'd love to renovate it as a studio and gallery. The views over Bay Village are really nice too. You can't really see the "57".
My previous guesses about the way the building evolved were wrong, based on what I saw. It is a large balloon construction type building, with very long spans inside, and a high ceiling on the second floor. (Well, it used to be there.) The Stuart St. front was simply a matter of adding a new facade to that side, rather than an enlargement of the original chapel.
It appears that at some point the building was experiencing structural failure. There is very substantial iron framed box that was added later in its life. This runs from basement to roof, and is, in essence, an ironed framed building within the old balloon.
I couldn't tell what they are going to do with it. There were numerous holes in the floor, no utilities, no interior walls, and some of it was shaky going.
It is a shell. Reminds me of my barn.

also walked by this today. I saw two red signs in the windows with the white x's through them. That's means demolition doesn't it? I saw the same ones on Filenes a while ago.

I hope it does, this building is a bit of an eyesoar

I saw two red signs in the windows with the white x's through them. That's means demolition doesn't it? I saw the same ones on Filenes a while ago.

I think, but am not absolutely sure, that these signs indicate the building is unoccupied so responding firefighters know people are not in the structure if they are responding to an emergency.

Something like that. May also mean "unsafe to enter".

I think, but am not absolutely sure, that these signs indicate the building is unoccupied so responding firefighters know people are not in the structure if they are responding to an emergency.

That is correct. There are several unoccupied homes where I live and they have those in their windows as well.

And the row of tonwhomes around 633 - 647 Tremont, as well, and they are just closed for renovation, not for tear-downs.

Back