Bay Village Infill and Small Developments

That last picture... that building has been under renovation for ages now. I almost wonder if the owners ran out of money on it.

Cut-and-graft job for Our Lady of Victories Church:

1615897128389.png

1615897150848.png

Looks quite good to me, just wish the addition with the garage entry fit in better.

So who owns that ghastly parking lot? Is it covered by the revised Back Bay zoning of a couple years back?

Fire Brian Golden.

I think you mean "fire Cardinal O'Malley". I'm not sure how the BPDA can force a group of monks to keep a church open. It closed all the way back in 2016 and wasn't acquired until a year later (so it's not like the developer forced them out).

We have a thread kicking around somewhere about "what to do with abandoned churches". As Equilibria points out, the building was abandoned by the church and sold. Not sure what the city would do here. Keep the building perpetually vacant until it sells and sells again in the hopes that someone with vision and cash finds an "appropriate" use for it?

In an ideal world, maybe the interior of the church could be preserved as a cafe, restaurant, theater, etc. with housing built above. But I'm sure that would be very difficult/expensive from an engineering standpoint.

I don't think it's nearly as bad as The Lucas but that's not a high bar, and considering the new structure will be relatively invisible from Isabella St. it's not so bad. The back/side visible from Arlington is a dumpster fire but in theory something will be built on that parking lot someday. Maybe.

Back