Best Cafes of Boston

kz1000ps

Reaction score
So I moved back up into the area and I'm wondering if someone could recommend some good cafes in the city? Doesn't really matter what neighborhood, anywhere in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville would be greatly appreciated.

So I'm definitely a coffee snob and don't mind paying more for a great pour-over, and I also love a flavorful sandwich made with fresh bread and even fresher ingredients. Years ago when I still lived here Flour had just opened and I liked that place but it's been years since I've last gone there and I have no idea whether it stands up as still good, but that's in the realm of what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance ☕☕☕

So I moved back up into the area and I'm wondering if someone could recommend some good cafes in the city? Doesn't really matter what neighborhood, anywhere in Boston/Cambridge/Somerville would be greatly appreciated.

So I'm definitely a coffee snob and don't mind paying more for a great pour-over, and I also love a flavorful sandwich made with fresh bread and even fresher ingredients. Years ago when I still lived here Flour had just opened and I liked that place but it's been years since I've last gone there and I have no idea whether it stands up as still good, but that's in the realm of what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance ☕☕☕

Welcome back and thanks for all the great photos lately. To get this started, I'll suggest Gracenote Coffee Roasters (located near South Station as well as in Cambridge) and Curio Coffee (on Cambridge St. between Lechmere & Inman). There are other good options too, but figured I'd kick it off with this.

EDIT: my initial response above is just about coffee. As far as sandwiches, you'll notice that Flour has thrived and has several additional locations. To each their own but I like Darwin's sandwiches too; they have a couple new locations recently as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not much of a coffee snob and can't speak to that, but regarding sandwich quality Flour's still got it.

Thanks in advance ☕☕☕

They can be a little hard to find, but if you spot one, there is this little local chain called Dunkin'....

^^ Oh I love Brookline and am always looking for an excuse to swing through there. Thanks for that suggestion and thanks to everyone else too EXCEPT for Statler, ya wiseass 💩

I haven't but I shall put it on my list!

The Diesel family of cafes in Somerville are all good. Diesel in Davis and Bloc in Union Sq. Their bakery supplier Forge is in-between them near the intersection of Elm and Somerville Ave.

Maybe I am getting a bit old but... diesel?

If you want a bit of a trip to the South Shore, the view at Lucky Finn cafe on Scituate Harbor can't be beat.

LuckyFinn.jpg

Ula Cafe in JP and Exodus Bagels in Rozzie have excellent bagel sandwiches. Their coffee tends to be a bit bitter for my tastes, but that's me.

Sorry for double post; Virginia's on Cypress St in Brookline has delish sandwiches (and other food), and coffee that's more to my taste - not so strong.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! Please keep the suggestions coming.

Next up: where can I find good doughnuts? I'm talking super hipster a r t i s a n a l things that cost $5 and are 500 calories a pop. If anyone knows the Doughnut Plant in NYC, that's what I'm thinking of. My girlfriend and I tried Kane's Donuts last year, got 4 different ones, and unfortunately I found them all to be quite underwhelming.

This is what I crave

Doughnut-Plant-NYC-Review-Cake-Doughnuts.jpg

No one mentioned Flat Black, so will through that out there.

As for donuts, well, so there is this little local chain you might have heard of...

Just kidding. Kanes is FTW. Union Square Donuts I guess also (although not that big a fan myself). Blackbird, too, in Newton. If you want less hispter then Anna's Hand Cut Donuts (although I haven't been there in ages) was always good and the mini-chain Donut King on the south shore.

Back