Best New Development of 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

briv

Reaction score
All members are encouraged to nominate a Boston area project* completed in 2011 that they believe is deserving of special recognition for its positive impact on the built environment.

Previous winners:

Emerson College's Paramount Center

2009 (tie)
Puma City
45 Province Street

Battery Wharf

*includes all project types, i.e., building, park, infrastructure project, etc.

How about Renzo Piano's renovation of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum? It'll be opening on January 19th, so that's a new development!

How about Renzo Piano's renovation of the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum? It'll be opening on January 19th, so that's a new development!

Are you insane?

I nominate Liberty Wharf.

Nobody has seen the insides yet, and considering the outside has received near-universal panning, the interiors will be the only thing to give it a flying chance of winning. Let's wait 'til next year.

How about:
Liberty Wharf
Atlantic Wharf
691 Mass Ave
BMC Ambulatory
I suppose the Harvard Law building is eligible, but it sure isn't worthy
Was the Dana Farber in the running last year?

Okay, we can put Piano on the backburner. Are you sure about Liberty Wharf and Atlantic Wharf?

I think 691 does deserve honorable mention as well. I'll probably vote for both.

I agree that the Gardner should be deferred until the 2012 awards, simply because it did not officially open during 2011.

My 2011 Best Developments including restoration and reconstruction, etc.:

1) MIT Koch & Sloan with associated landscaping overall
2) MFA overall continuing 9I would put it down on 2009, 2010 as well):
a) mostly interior (Foster wing, glass box and connecting hall galleries - a much improved user experience
b) re-installation of several galleries
c) several; new galleries wit more to come
d) some landscape work as well
3) Atlantic Wharf and harbor walk around it and behind the Intercontinental Hotel including the "Intercontinental Garden"
4) Liberty Wharf & new sections of harbor walk

Atlantic Wharf
Harbor Islands Pavilion
Liberty Wharf
691 Mass Ave
MFA Foster wing (if it's eligible for 2011; I can't remember)
MIT Sloan School
Hubway
Whittier Health Clinic

In that order.

MFA Foster wing was nominated last year, and lost to the Paramount Center.

MIT Sloan School? Really? That thing is trying to disappear into its surroundings so much that I say we don't mention it ever again.

EDIT: oops ignore the above. I got Sloan (which is a decent project) mixed up with the Koch building -- Koch is the one doing to the disappearing act.

Last edited:
ATLANTIC, LIBERTY, HUBWAY AND 691 would get my votes. Is MGH museum open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back