Beverly, MA -- Fall Colors Edition

kz1000ps

Reaction score
Forum vets will remember I had a photo thread on Beverly (just north of Salem) a couple years back. Well, my mom grew up there, and I was in town recently for family related stuff and snapped off a bunch more shots. I was hoping for better foliage colors, but oh well.

img1960k.jpg

img1972p.jpg

img1974p.jpg

img1969l.jpg

img1975s.jpg

img1977w.jpg

img1978.jpg

img1979k.jpg

img1982q.jpg

img1983z.jpg

img1984s.jpg

img1980w.jpg

Big addition at the high school, the only construction project I saw:

img1995ly.jpg

img1990p.jpg

img1981w.jpg

img1999z.jpg

img2001y.jpg

img2006eo.jpg

img2011c.jpg

img2014w.jpg

img2018l.jpg

I LOVE love love streets that end in the big blue:

img2016z.jpg

img2019w.jpg

img2022f.jpg

img2028i.jpg

img2030c.jpg

img2034o.jpg

img2036u.jpg

img2037y.jpg

Looking towards Salem Neck and the Salem Harbor power plant:

img2039w.jpg

And looking back towards mainland Beverly and the public beach:

img2044ta.jpg

img2050w.jpg

These next half dozen or so shots were taken at Lynch Park:

img2051k.jpg

img2061lz.jpg

img2053m.jpg

img2058u.jpg

img2069e.jpg

img2074e.jpg

img2078y.jpg

img2080jt.jpg

img2081sf.jpg

Back in the main part of town, with the public beach at left:

img2082e.jpg

img2085oa.jpg

img2102x.jpg

img2112r.jpg

img2113u.jpg

img2116lg.jpg

img2117r.jpg

img2118em.jpg

img2121l.jpg

img2123sz.jpg

img2127r.jpg

Rantoul Street runs parallel to the commuter rail line and is where the highest density development is:

img2134t.jpg

img2137dp.jpg

Back at the station, it's time to head home!

img2141ci.jpg

thanks for that collection of rough, but charming Beverly. I grew up in Lynn so I always thought Beverly and Salem were so upscale! But both seaside cities have their flaws. Power plants and other improper development right on the coast and beaches that were never much of a draw for lack of maintaining them. Both have wonderful historic buildings and landmarks but I can't quite pin down why the old with the new never quite worked. Maybe because they are working class, blue-collar cities that longtime residents would defend to the death because they like it just as it is.

Beverley is fairly upscale...at least, Prides Crossing is.

Thanks for that photo essay! This looks like a lovely town well worth exploring, but it always gets overlooked in favor of Salem, Marblehead, and Manchester-by-the-Sea.

Nice pictures, looks like a nice area. I love that Boston has a decent commuter rail system that you can use to explore the surrounding areas if you wish.

Gorgeous photos ... You walked a lot! That must've been 10-15 mile walk around town.

The only area you didn't capture, which someone already mentioned, is the Beverly Farms, Prides Crossing area ... but that's a 20 minute car drive. Beautiful mansions, pristine waterfronts. Endicott College is like a resort for preppy college kids .. they even have their own private beaches. The drive up 1A is amazing, especially in the fall.. Thanks!

Coastal North Shore is awsome (Salem getting the top pick for me), its just the people you encounter 2 miles insland that suck.

"Coastal North Shore is awsome (Salem getting the top pick for me),"....

Again, I was never a fan of Salem. Terrible traffic patterns which the city has redone over and over again...only making it worse...... and SPRAWL! Yes, tiny Salem (pop. 45,000) has sprawl. Typically, the further from the city center you go, it becomes more residential. Not in Salem. Lots of mindless strip mall development on its borders with Peabody, Swampsott and it is even noticeable on the borders with Lynn.

For me....Manchester-by-the-sea shows the affluent side of the North Shore and Gloucester shows the best of its blue-collar side.

For all you who liked this thread you should check out my Driveing around New England thread ,for those who already do thanks! great pixs KZ10000ps thanks!

I love that Boston has a decent commuter rail system that you can use to explore the surrounding areas if you wish.

Yup. I gotta get back up to Salem before all the leaves disappear!

Gorgeous photos ... You walked a lot! That must've been 10-15 mile walk around town.

The only area you didn't capture, which someone already mentioned, is the Beverly Farms, Prides Crossing area ... but that's a 20 minute car drive.

I only walked about six miles. And I tried to borrow a bike so I could see Prides Crossing, but it didn't work out.

What Beverly's downtown lacks in tourist activity is more than made up for by Montserrat College of Art being right there. Walking Cabot Street (its "charming main street", seen in the first half dozen pics), it was impossible to miss the signs that youth were there. Of course, it wouldn't be the north shore without tons of older folks heading to social functions at their churches, and I saw lots of them too, but I fit in surprisingly well walking the area with all the other students milling about.

Lovely town by the looks of it. Like what a real town should look like.

Back