Biddeford/Saco Developments

pouyt7waesofujgkasdf.png

Rendering of Port Property's Landing on the Levee (32 units) - this is one of the structures on Upper Falls Rd, off Elm St, adjacent to Lofts at the Levee (96 units) and two other proposed buildings. Occupancy is planned for fall 2024.

A new Master Plan for the former Diamond Match site (Now renamed "One Diamond") A total of Seven 5-6 story buildings with a total of 477 condo and rental units.

The revised plan includes a new mixed-use building on Elm Street and several commercial spaces within the site.

This Master Plan also includes public open space, a small boat launch and an extension of the Riverwalk trail.

Personally, I find the plan a bit uninspired (and WAYY too much surface parking) but I'm glad to see that plans for this site are moving forward and it's nice to see public open space included as part of the project.

1683827618596.png

1683827644900.png

1683827751785.png

Yeah, I'm a little dubious about those huge riverfront parking lots – they're wasting some of their most valuable real estate on asphalt (and it looks like they're also planning at least some ground-floor structured parking?)

With all the development in this area there's a strong case for better bus service connecting this neighborhood to Portland – or even a Downeaster rail shuttle running short-turn trips between Saco and the PTC (though this might require some expensive double-tracking of the route). Is Biddeford considering a transit TIF to capture some of the value of these new projects for better transit service? That could pay dividends twice if it allows developments like this one to convert more parking into higher-value buildings.

Awash in Asphalt, Cities Rethink Their Parking Needs

"Local leaders across the nation are overhauling parking requirements for developers, scaling back the minimum number of spots for shopping centers and apartment complexes."

"The United States has about two billion parking spots, according to some estimates — nearly seven for every car. In some cities, as much as 14 percent of land area is covered with the black asphalt that engulfs malls, apartment buildings and commercial strips."

Took me a moment to figure out this was the MERC site. Google Maps claims there's a parking garage where the "Transportation Hub" is shown (I'm guessing the garage adds a fancy bus stop), but it's not on Street View. Does anyone know if that's been built?

This area is becoming excitingly dynamic. I think with a wider pedestrian bridge to the train station, and new apartments in a trending building arrangement like the Armature, we would see demand (and rents) rise significantly. It's an answer to Portland and its new $5,900 per month 2BR rent "achievement." And the Lincoln Hotel and Batson River can stand with many or most restaurant/hotel combinations for social life. I never would have dared to dream this big for Biddeford/Saco, but now I am. It would then become a work-at-home option for people who want to spend some or much of their time in Boston, as Boston is becoming one of the most important cities in the world. Perhaps even in the top 5, after considering tech and education.

Took me a moment to figure out this was the MERC site. Google Maps claims there's a parking garage where the "Transportation Hub" is shown (I'm guessing the garage adds a fancy bus stop), but it's not on Street View. Does anyone know if that's been built?

BSOOB transit wants to build a sort of "mini hub" on Pearl Street. That's still in the conceptual stage.

I can't remember what they ended up deciding to do with that plot of land on Factory Island across from Run of the Mill - looks like earth has/has been moving.

They're building 24 duplexes on a cul-de-sac. This section of Main Street doesn't even have a sidewalk on the east side, and judging by the site plans, the developers aren't adding one.

Imagine spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for a new home that's within walking distance of downtown Biddeford AND Saco, but not having a safe route to either.

Would have been better suited for a 10 story building

They're building 24 duplexes on a cul-de-sac. This section of Main Street doesn't even have a sidewalk on the east side, and judging by the site plans, the developers aren't adding one.

Imagine spending hundreds of thousands of dollars for a new home that's within walking distance of downtown Biddeford AND Saco, but not having a safe route to either.

From what I can see, even if they were to add sidewalks the length of the island (and I have no idea whether the city has easements on the east side or not), there are no sidewalks on the downstream side of the bridges so they'd dead-end anyway. My hunch is that, if the city even cares, they'll provide 1 or 2 crosswalks on either side of their driveway.

This is a huge problem and was identified as such in the Biddeford-Saco Transit Oriented Development Concept Plan published 2/2023 by GPCOG and available here https://www.gpcog.org/DocumentCente...-Oriented-Development-Concept-Plan-PDF?bidId=.

Focus areas 1 & 2, beginning on p.60 offer possible solutions. Some conceptual art from the document is below.

A06A7FF0-6009-4EFC-9DF1-A726ED0D02BB.jpeg
E84D1F29-FFD3-466D-BE0F-48072AFECB9D.jpeg

This route is in desperate need of a traffic circle. The light at Water Street/Pepperell Square>Front Street stops all traffic from flowing on Main Street. Gets completely backed up and at a complete stop all the way through Main Street on the Biddeford side. And then the traffic/light coming out of the island mill complex too. It's a CLUSTER.

This route is in desperate need of a traffic circle. The light at Water Street/Pepperell Square>Front Street stops all traffic from flowing on Main Street. Gets completely backed up and at a complete stop all the way through Main Street on the Biddeford side. And then the traffic/light coming out of the island mill complex too. It's a CLUSTER.
Definitely needs a whole new flow solution. Not sure a traffic circle would have enough space. I grew up in Saco and know this area well. My mom goes nuts with pickups at the station when trying to make that left turn back into the Saco downtown. One idea would be to create a second substantial access point from the area where the Lincoln Hotel development is (from Elm rather than Main). It would split the traffic flow so that less would use the Main Street access. If it's all done right, or brilliantly, this area could become one of the most dynamic living/work/transportation hubs in Maine. A key reason is that it's only 2 hours 20 min from North Station. Live here and work and have fun in Boston. I know some who are already doing this. (You can use a laptop comfortably on a train.)

Anyone following the Lincoln Village saga in Saco?

Was going to be 330ish units in a PUD-style arrangement on a 56 acre site (the site plan reminds me a lot of the stuff AvalonBay does in Mass, actually). Was just disapproved by their PB last week on the basis of potential traffic impacts as well as aesthetic/character impacts.

Anyone following the Lincoln Village saga in Saco?

Was going to be 330ish units in a PUD-style arrangement on a 56 acre site (the site plan reminds me a lot of the stuff AvalonBay does in Mass, actually). Was just disapproved by their PB last week on the basis of potential traffic impacts as well as aesthetic/character impacts.

Traffic concerns are obviously going to be a huge issue when your development is a car-oriented mess of suburban sprawl like this proposal:

Screenshot-2023-08-21-at-7.50.20-PM.jpg

These consultants, Gorrill-Palmer, have a terrible reputation. I remember about 15 years ago they produced a "traffic plan" for Portland that suggested widening Franklin Street to 8 lanes 🙄. Their entire legacy is designing crappy strip malls and road widenings, and every planner and public works director can plainly see how poorly (and expensively) their projects have aged with time.

I can't understand why developers keep hiring these guys – I guess they must be cheap, but here's a clear example that cheap isn't the same as value.

Back