Biking in Boston

I'm not terribly confident about the future success of the Hubway system with the amateurish launch this week. Several years of planning and there's not even an established system map? Alta really seems to be dropping the ball here.

I'm not terribly confident about the future success of the Hubway system with the amateurish launch this week. Several years of planning and there's not even an established system map? Alta really seems to be dropping the ball here.

They really have. Absolutely no marketing, no PR, not even a (real) website. Thats not how you build a brand.

Mind you, these are the same people that after winning the contract, promised summer 2010.

I want them to hurry up and release their map so I can compare it to my map.

They didn't win the contract in 2010. A different group was supposed to do it last year, didn't have its act together, and lost the contract.

"Brian, get in here quick! Write something controversial so we can get lots of page views!"

"You got it boss!"

And so...

Make Boston bicycle-free
By Brian McGrory
Globe Columnist / July 15, 2011

As Mayor Tom Menino prepares to roll out an ambitious bicycle-sharing program on the streets of our great city this month, offering hundreds of bikes for short-term rental all across town, I might urge him to go in a slightly different direction.

He ought to ban all bicyclists from Boston instead.

Ban them as in, here’s the city line, Lance, there’s a bike rack. Lock it up, and flag yourself a nice air-conditioned cab. Maybe you won’t be sweating so much when you walk into work.

Oh, I know, bikes are the future. Bikes are clean. Bikes are quiet.

I couldn’t agree more, which is why this is not an indictment of the bicycle, an efficient, affordable instrument of transportation. But to paraphrase the National Rifle Association, bikes are not the problem, it’s the people on them.

And those people are the scourge of the city. I don’t mean anything negative by that. It’s just plain fact, painfully clear to anyone and everyone who has ever exercised their government-sanctioned right to sit behind the wheel of a combustion-powered vehicle and drive on roads that were built for, yes, cars.

In a crowded city like Boston, with narrow streets, daring pedestrians, and delivery trucks double-parked nearly everywhere, this task can already be perilous enough. Throw in a bunch of cavalier cyclists who believe with every cell of their beings that they own the road, and it’s near impossible to get around.

Here’s the biggest problem with urban bicyclists: Their personalities. They exude a sense of superiority as they sip vitamin water amid an afternoon breeze while I, just for argument’s sake, may be tucking into a Filet-O-Fish in the sealed confines of my car, quickly abandoning hope of finding parking near my gym.

That superiority leads them to blast through red lights and stop signs with no hesitation, swerve into traffic with the entitled expectation that everyone else will screech to a halt, glide the wrong way down streets, across sidewalks, through pedestrian malls, constantly yelling, “Watch it, dude!’’

They are a self-celebratory lot, these cyclists, parading around in Lycra even though most of them inexplicably have shapes that beg for L.L. Bean, proselytizing through ham-handed bike commuter days, gathering at their little festivals to talk about how they’re saving the world. Shame on us for buying into their act.

And these are the good cyclists, the ones who actually own their own bikes. We’re about to get hundreds upon hundreds of amateurs pedaling all over our city who have no idea what they’re doing. Orthopedists will be flocking here like it’s the Gold Rush of 1849.

I caught a glimmer of hope this week when Boston Police announced plans for a crackdown on reckless cyclists in preparation for the bike-sharing program. Finally, sanity. Cart the offenders away in the backseats of squad cars, just for the irony. I called yesterday to see how it was going. Over the first two days, police handed out no - that’s zero - citations, and 40 warnings. It gets better. They gave out more than 100 free helmets to offenders. Oh, and everyone got a local bike shop 20-percent-off coupon.

That’s some crackdown, folks.

Let me stress, these cyclists are more than welcome in the suburbs, riding in flocks along uncluttered roads. I figured they were perfect in Cambridge, until I learned that there’s a bit of a rebellion going on in the kumbaya capital of the world. Police have begun cracking down on sidewalk riders, and a courageous councilor named Henrietta Davis publicly admonished reckless cyclists in December.

We can’t let Cambridge, of all places, beat us to the punch. Our mayor likes being on the vanguard these days, and this is our big chance: Boston, America’s Bicycle Free City.

Brian McGrory is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at mcgrory@globe.com.

A different group was supposed to do it last year, didn't have its act together, and lost the contract.

Gee, if I ran a sourcing event and executed a contract with the winning supplier, who then failed to perform, I'd probably be sleeping on a park bench.

I wonder if anyone got fired over this?

"Brian, get in here quick! Write something controversial so we can get lots of page views!"

"You got it boss!"

And so...

what a moronic waste of ink.... the journalistic equivalent of those smarmy VH1 shows where the D-Listers make tired jokes about A, B, and C-listers.

They didn't win the contract in 2010. A different group was supposed to do it last year, didn't have its act together, and lost the contract.

Same group. There was an RFP issued in 2009 (got all the press). 3 companies replied.

Then stuff happened in secret, that contract was cancelled (never signed) and a new one issued in 2010 with no press, that was written so only they could win again.

Well, their map is out.

http://www.thehubway.com/stations

Um....you know how sometimes map makers stick in a fake landmark so they can tell when another map maker steals their map...? Looking at their map, I get the feeling that it was heavily based off my version because I spy two station locations that I cannot see them being able to justify.

That is, my map was planned for 150 stations. Theirs is 61, so many were cut. And when you cut a destination station, you sometimes need to change the origin station, but they didnt quite do that.

For example, the plan was supposed to include all the cities. The bid was run by the MAPC so that all cities could sign on.

For whatever reason, not only did they not launch in 2010, but theyre launching in 2011 Boston only.

For example, look at how on their map, they have these stations over by Harvard.

hubway1.jpg

Without cambridge, or without stations in the allston residential area, these locations dont make sense. Theyre too close to each other for riders to want to ride between those 4, but too far from the rest of the system.

My map had them located their because of expected high ridership from cambridge, as an alternative to 66/86 bus rides, which can be very unreliable in that area.

hubway2.jpg

They dont have cambridge stations, so it would make sense to fill in the gap south of these, which I left open.

But they didnt. So now theyre an island.

Did anyone see the Metro story today/yesterday (Tues)?

Hubway: The bicycles are coming! The bicycles are coming!
MICHAEL NAUGHTON/METRO
BOSTON
Published: July 18, 2011 9:05 p.m.
Last modified: July 19, 2011 10:06 a.m.

--
7a481cdd4642a56bd0b5610e6bea.jpeg

NICOLAUS CZARNECKI/METRO
A new bike share station was installed along Massachusetts Avenue near Boston Medical Center.

--

With Boston’s highly touted bicycle sharing program, Hubway, set to launch next week, city officials have been trying to pave the way for a safe and successful launch.

Last minute preparations are under way, including the installation of bike stations across the city.

City officials said they are still working on securing approval for the installation of the last few stations, but that next week people should be able to rent a bicycle whenever they need one.

“We’re still working on it, and I think it’s still going to be very, very successful,” said Nicole Freedman, director of the city’s Boston Bikes program.

Multiple officials said Hubway’s launch event is scheduled for next Tuesday at City Hall Plaza. Freedman also said she expects the program to be popular despite the first phase leaving out the bike-centric cities of Cambridge and Somerville.

Those communities were also working on securing city approval for the bike docking stations and the program could launch there in the fall.

Marc Draisen, the director of the Metropolitan Area Planning Council, which has been working on the bike share program, said the process to coordinate permitting for one program among four different cities has been “complicated.”

“The great thing is that everybody seems to want to do this,” he said.

Hubway will launch with 61 docking stations and 600 bicycles in an area that covers Allston, Brighton, Downtown Boston, the South End and parts of South Boston and Roxbury. Thousand more bicycles could be added if the program can expand beyond the current phase.

“It’ll start in areas that can generate the most number of riders and we’re going to build on that sort of in layers,” Draisen said.

Spreading safety

In preparation for the additional 600 bikes that can soon take to Boston’s streets, officials have been trying to spread the word about courtesy being a two-way street.

The city identified “high-conflict” intersections where police will enforce traffic rules for both bikes and cars. Police from Northeastern and Boston universities will join that effort.

A Cambridge Police spokesman said officers in that city hand out between 50 and 100 biking citations each month.

How Hubway works

Hubway will feature “swipe card” payments and will cost $5 per day and $85 for a yearly membership. Annual memberships for $60 are being offered for
people who sign up before the launch.

Trips that are 30 minutes or less are free.

Users can rent bikes from one station and return them at another one across the city. On average, there will be 10 bikes available at each station and an app will be able to tell users how many are available at certain times.

http://www.metro.us/boston/local/article/920351--hubway-the-bicycles-are-coming-the-bicycles-are-coming

Where does when go to in order to receive said discounted annual pass for $60?

Heres another disappointment with Hubway. The RFP stipulated 365 day operation.

But thats not what theyll be providing.

"Here is the scoop. We are closed from the last Wednesday in November or earlier if weather gets bad sooner. We will open 1st of March, unless the weather is too bad to start. So basically it's weather contingent (mainly once snow and snow plowing starts) but end of November and beginning of March are the dates."
http://www.facebook.com/Hubway

Wasnt the first snow (some flurries) last year at the end of December...? I dont think plows were needed until January. Closing in November is stupid.

Received my Hubway key in the mail today. Can't wait for this thing to launch.

Much to my dismay, there was no Hubway article on Wikipedia as of one hour ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubway

Don't worry folks, I've gotchya covered.

But I can't figure out citations... WTF. Oh well, I'll leave it to the citation bots and citation Nazis to fix them.

Not looking too good when the launch date is getting pushed back two day at the last minute and a few of the kiosks already have their plexiglass shattered.

how did that happen? Are they too close to the curb and getting hit by cars?

Back