Biking in Boston

a bunch of new stations coming, starting this fall. Looks like major focus areas were the downtown-crossing pedestrianized area, north station, and north end. This should help with trips in the city although the infrastructure still ranges from good to non-existent in those areas. This should be a big boon even for existing stations as the increased capacity will reduce occurrence of arriving at a station with no open docks or trying to start your trip at a station with no bikes.

This should be a big boon even for existing stations as the increased capacity will reduce occurrence of arriving at a station with no open docks or trying to start your trip at a station with no bikes.
Yeah, definitely a lot of usage around North Station.

Right now at noon on a very temperate Monday (~70ºF at 9am, ~78ºF at noon, 50% humidity) -- 5 bikes available out of 113 docks (95.5% usage) over these 4 docks:

Screen Shot 2024-08-12 at 12.02.44 PM.png

(via https://account.bluebikes.com/map)

Question, do any of the cycling advocacy organization try to orchestrate "cyclizing" particular downtown streets.

By Cyclizing, I don't mean legal, City of Boston action. I mean guiding cyclists to make use of these street, for the purpose of creating a critical mass of cyclists. Flood a street with enough cyclists, and the street is no longer attractive to drivers. They seek alternate routes.

Are there key connection streets in Boston where this could be an effort? Particularly streets that connect to (are gaps in) critical cycling infrastructure.

Question, do any of the cycling advocacy organization try to orchestrate "cyclizing" particular downtown streets.

By Cyclizing, I don't mean legal, City of Boston action. I mean guiding cyclists to make use of these street, for the purpose of creating a critical mass of cyclists. Flood a street with enough cyclists, and the street is no longer attractive to drivers. They seek alternate routes.

Are there key connection streets in Boston where this could be an effort? Particularly streets that connect to (are gaps in) critical cycling infrastructure.
There's a group that organizes a "critical mass" bike ride. But I'm not sure on the details of it. I don't think it's quite what you're looking for though.

There's a group that organizes a "critical mass" bike ride. But I'm not sure on the details of it. I don't think it's quite what you're looking for though.
Yeah, that's definitely different. They go for a monthly Friday night ride in which they take lanes as a form of visible protest to say that bike riders are here, this road belongs to us. I'm supportive of the concept, but it's definitely not about establishing specific routes for visibility of daily rider usage.

a bunch of new stations coming, starting this fall. Looks like major focus areas were the downtown-crossing pedestrianized area, north station, and north end. This should help with trips in the city although the infrastructure still ranges from good to non-existent in those areas. This should be a big boon even for existing stations as the increased capacity will reduce occurrence of arriving at a station with no open docks or trying to start your trip at a station with no bikes.

This is amazing and sorely needed.

On the topic of BlueBikes, does anyone know if/when BlueBikes is going to expand to Lynn or Swampscott? It's kinda funny but also odd that Salem has BlueBikes while Swampscott and Lynn don't. It's time to fill the gap!

This is amazing and sorely needed.

On the topic of BlueBikes, does anyone know if/when BlueBikes is going to expand to Lynn or Swampscott? It's kinda funny but also odd that Salem has BlueBikes while Swampscott and Lynn don't. It's time to fill the gap!
That's largely up to Swampscott and / or Lynn really! BlueBikes is a publicly-owned bike-share with each of the service area municipalities paying into it. The ten cities and towns BlueBikes serves have bought into the system. Sometimes MassDOT and the MPO provide capital funding for buying new docks but otherwise, operating supports come from the local level (definitely something MassDOT should be more actively supporting in terms of helping to bring down costs on cities and towns to lower the barrier to entry for communities that can't budget for it).

That's largely up to Swampscott and / or Lynn really! BlueBikes is a publicly-owned bike-share with each of the service area municipalities paying into it. The ten cities and towns BlueBikes serves have bought into the system. Sometimes MassDOT and the MPO provide capital funding for buying new docks but otherwise, operating supports come from the local level (definitely something MassDOT should be more actively supporting in terms of helping to bring down costs on cities and towns to lower the barrier to entry for communities that can't budget for it).
So if I was to put in a request for a new dock installation, I would direct it at the town/city and not towards BlueBikes?

So if I was to put in a request for a new dock installation, I would direct it at the town/city and not towards BlueBikes?
Correct, and keep in mind the going rate for a new dock is ~$50,000 and to have a successful expansion you need a reasonable density of stations. Most of the towns that have joined have started with grant funding, the MPO and MassDOT have done several $200k-$500k size grants that towns outside of the big three have used to join/add stations. If you reach out to a politician type person it might be helpful to reference some of the successful grant programs that other towns have used (MPO Community Connections, MassDOT Shared Streets & Spaces, Massachusetts Gaming Commission Transportation Construction).

Correct, and keep in mind the going rate for a new dock is ~$50,000 and to have a successful expansion you need a reasonable density of stations. Most of the towns that have joined have started with grant funding, the MPO and MassDOT have done several $200k-$500k size grants that towns outside of the big three have used to join/add stations. If you reach out to a politician type person it might be helpful to reference some of the successful grant programs that other towns have used (MPO Community Connections, MassDOT Shared Streets & Spaces, Massachusetts Gaming Commission Transportation Construction).

We, both the advocate and professional side, really do not do enough highlighting of the cost discrepancy between bike investments and auto-oriented investments. "Here's what a routine mill-and-pave project on West Bumbleton Street would buy you in bike investments". People make the fallacious "we could just buy everyone who's projected to ride this train a car for cheaper" point all the time. Where's the "we could just buy the whole town e-bikes for the cost of this intersection reconstruction that's only required because of how unsafe people drive."

Last edited:
We, both the advocate and professional side, really do not do a enough highlighting of the cost discrepancy between bike investments and auto-oriented investments. "Here's what a routine mill-and-pave project on West Bumbleton Street would buy you in bike investments". People make the fallacious "we could just buy everyone who's projected to ride this train a car for cheaper" point all the time. Where's the "we could just buy the whole town e-bikes for the cost of this intersection reconstruction that's only required because of how unsafe people drive."
We also do a poor job of highlighting how many more travelers fit in the same space on bikes versus SOV (both moving and parking).

Back