Biking in Boston

Honest question to the serious bikers: how effective are the "Peds keep right" signs (with visuals) that some mixed use corridors have posted every hundred meters or so? My limited experience is that these are a simple intervention, while not perfect, that can work wonders.
I don't know how effective they are at modifying pedestrian behavior, but I definitely appreciate when the pedestrians stick to the right. If some cheap signs increase the percentage that do so, then I'm all for that.

The intersection at JFK Street appears to be a disaster every time I've been there, so using that as a positive example doesn't....seem like one to me.

It's so inadequate to handle the load that it frequently causes jams stretching all the way back up to Harvard Square. That stretch is also identified as a MBTA high delay bus corridor, as the 66/86 are heavily impacted by it, it's not just a "car" problem.

I'm sure there is some sort of surface intersection configuration that could work tolerably but I also expect that it will probably wind up a bit like the other side of the BU Bridge - and some seem not so fond of how many lanes wide that is, either.

I was driving on JKF recently, going south from Harvard Sq, trying to cross Memorial. Maybe two or three cars were getting through on each light cycle, because during the red light, the road on the bridge would fill up from people taking right turns onto it from Memorial, so by the time our side got the green, maybe one or two cars could fit without blocking the box, and then maybe a third could sneak at the end.

I've been going to most of the redesign meetings and this is the drum I beat everytime. As a regular pedestrian and cyclist on the SW Corridor, there are sections with high compliance to the separation and sections with low compliance and it is clear what features work where it does that should be duplicated elsewhere on the path on the sections where it doesn't work:
  • Asphalt pedestrian paths instead of concrete. For runners, asphalt is mush easier on the joints than concrete. Many runners (myslef included) will stick to the pedestrian asphalt sections, but avoid the concrete pedestrian sections, opting for the parallel asphalt cycling sections. One major step is to make sure that the pedestrian and cycling sections are both asphalt.
  • Separation from the road. On sections where the pedestrian path is just a sidewalk next to traffic and the cycling section is further separated from traffic and within an actual linear park, serrounded by grass and trees on both sides, people gravitate towards to section that is separated from traffic, understandably. Adding a green buffer between the pedestrian path and the roads would go a long way towards people naturally gravitating towards the appropriate section.
For reference, the sections that work well and have relatively high compliance:
  • Forest Hills to Williams St
  • New Minton St to Boylston St
  • Prentiss St to Ruggles St
Section that will be at least somewhat improved on the above parameters as part of the Columbus Ave Bus Lanes Phase II project:
  • Heath St to Prentiss St
Sections that desperately needs some TLC with respect to the above parameters:
  • Williams St to New Minton St
  • Boylston St to Heath St
I agree about the separation from the road. Why would someone stick to a sidewalk adjacent to a wide, busy road. Especially if the bike path has tree coverage to provide shade. What I’m looking forward to the most about the redesign is the wider crosswalks. Dumping both the bike path and sidewalk into one tiny curb ramp always has a lot of bike/ped conflicts.

I was driving on JKF recently, going south from Harvard Sq, trying to cross Memorial. Maybe two or three cars were getting through on each light cycle, because during the red light, the road on the bridge would fill up from people taking right turns onto it from Memorial, so by the time our side got the green, maybe one or two cars could fit without blocking the box, and then maybe a third could sneak at the end.
Didn't Cambridge just finish making Right on Red illegal city-wide? Or does that not apply to state roads?

Back