Biking in Boston

I think most of all, people go on the Southwest Corridor to be on a path, not on a sidewalk, so if the walking “path” is indistinguishable from a sidewalk, people will always choose the bike path. When I walk it, I will always stay on the walking path when the facilities are equivalent but when that path becomes a sidewalk, I switch to the bike trail. When I bike it, I’ve never been mad at people who do the same because who wouldn’t make that decision? The more inviting path that feels more nature-y will always win, and thinking otherwise was a poor choice on the designer’s end, not a poor choice of the walkers. It’s the same situation as when a bike lane is so poorly thought out that it’s better to ride in the road - not the biker’s fault (though the driver might disagree).

I think most of all, people go on the Southwest Corridor to be on a path, not on a sidewalk, so if the walking “path” is indistinguishable from a sidewalk, people will always choose the bike path. When I walk it, I will always stay on the walking path when the facilities are equivalent but when that path becomes a sidewalk, I switch to the bike trail. When I bike it, I’ve never been mad at people who do the same because who wouldn’t make that decision? The more inviting path that feels more nature-y will always win, and thinking otherwise was a poor choice on the designer’s end, not a poor choice of the walkers. It’s the same situation as when a bike lane is so poorly thought out that it’s better to ride in the road - not the biker’s fault (though the driver might disagree).
To reiterate, this is why the sections where the waking path is just a concrete sidewalk alongside the road have the lowest pedestrian compliance and the sections that have asphalt pedestrian paths separated from the road have the highest compliance.

Henry, literally every single segment of the Southwest Corridor Path has posts with graphic signs showing that one way is for bikes and the other is for pedestrians. There's not ambiguity here.
I will say there is one nonsense one by Prentiss/Rox Crossing.

At Prentiss, heading south, it shows that pedestrians should take the left path that leads down to the sidewalk....
IMG_6217.jpeg

But from Roxbury Crossing going north, following the pedestrian signs leads first to the sidewalk...
IMG_6218.jpeg

Then when you get to what it says is the pedestrian path south, and it says it's the bike path, and for pedestrians to stay on the sidewalk...
IMG_6219.jpeg

It's contradictory and if all signs were followed properly there wouldn't be any bikes ending up down here on the sidewalk, and pedestrians would need to go the long way around the block next to six lanes of traffic north but cut across only going south.

I will say there is one nonsense one by Prentiss/Rox Crossing.

At Prentiss, heading south, it shows that pedestrians should take the left path that leads down to the sidewalk....
View attachment 56745
But from Roxbury Crossing going north, following the pedestrian signs leads first to the sidewalk...
View attachment 56746
Then when you get to what it says is the pedestrian path south, and it says it's the bike path, and for pedestrians to stay on the sidewalk...
View attachment 56747
It's contradictory and if all signs were followed properly there wouldn't be any bikes ending up down here on the sidewalk, and pedestrians would need to go the long way around the block next to six lanes of traffic north but cut across only going south.
Interesting find. So, the signs all show the same basic principle, which is that pedestrians on the stretch between Tremont and Prentiss are routed toward the sidewalk, and bikes are routed away from it.

However, the third pic, in my mind, shows how utterly hare-brained DCR is, and is just wrong. That pic shows a post at the juncture of an ancillary path that allows a pedestrian who is walking inbound on the SWC sidewalk, to remain in the linear park of the SWC, since if they continued inbound on the sidewalk, they would hit Prentiss St, and then either have to take a left to rejoin the SWC, or continue on city sidewalks past the police station. The issue here and the reason it shows how utterly moronic the thinking is in our government bureaucracies is that it shows that someone clearly thought that every single juncture of paths on the SWC *must* direct pedestrians one way and bikes another. And at the site of this sign, up to Prentiss, the sidewalk still is actually DCR--it is part of the SWC park, despite the fact that it basically takes you to a dead end at Prentiss St where you should have gone left, to continue on the park behind the police station. So if you had zero ability to think outside the box, you would realize that at this particular location, the principle of "sign must show bikes go one way and pedestrians another way" doesnt hold, and the logical thing to do would be either no sign at all, or to make a special sign that tells people to stay left to stay in the park, or stay right to continue onto city-owned property. But this would be far too complex.

I did look over old maps and aerials on Mapjunction as I was curious as to whether that cut-thru path represented some vestigial connection to a road that might have been obliterated, but it seems to have always just been a feature of the park, likely simply to save people a right angle turn at Prentiss/Columbus.
You're welcome to that opinion, but believe it or not, people legitimately don't notice those signs. And yes, I suppose in many cases it's because they care more about something else, such as interacting with their phone, or the conversation they are having with a walking companion, etc. But I really do think this is better explained by Hanlon's Razor.
No way to make it pure fact without just asking people on the path, but I would say this is more than "just opinion", it's a reasonable and practical conclusion: for the reason that most of the SWC - esp the parts we are discussing here - are utilized by locals. If youre walking on these stretches, with the exception perhaps of inbound from Roxbury Crossing, youre either someone who lives near here, or you use the path as part of your commute. This is not a park that is filled with people who've never been here before. It's people who use it daily. So the idea that they just happened to not notice because they were looking at their phone, or someone missed the signs at chest level staring them in the face day in and day out, really doesnt hold. People see the signs, they know what they say, and they dont follow them. For reasons articulated by...
People all know. And @thepianoperson, I dont actually have a problem with people simply walking on the bike path part, per se. It's people walking three abreast, and having zero spatial awareness of consideration, that is obnoxious. But yes, the design makes it pretty unreasonable to expect people to choose to walk, eg, on the Amory St sidewalk. But that raises the question: since nobody ever uses the sidewalk on Amory, or Columbus, why are they there at all? Seems like they would be prime targets to eliminate.

The red asphalt in the netherlands makes it very clear what space is for cars, walking, and bikes.
The red asphalt does help, but the sheer amount of dutch cyclists who will run you over if you go into the bike lane is the real reason people notice the bike lanes.

no matter how many signs are there, people are going to walk on paths with less people using them. the only way to have a dedicated bike lane people acknowledge is to dedicated bike lane with high traffic that people can acknowledge.

While I 100% agree with everything you said here, even the basic standard of an 11' multi-use path (with no further seperation) would be a huge step in the right direction beyond what we have now.
Chewing up Memorial Drive and Storrow Drive will have the consequences of making more cars from Route MA-2 shift to driving down sidestreets of Cambridge at high rates of speed and with far more aggression. I see it every weekday morning off Concord Avenue. There's a long procession of cars turn off Concord Ave after the parkways back up and then speed down these side street starting from 7AM until about 9AM. But it is what it is.

Chewing up Memorial Drive and Storrow Drive will have the consequences of making more cars from Route MA-2 shift to driving down sidestreets of Cambridge at high rates of speed and with far more aggression. I see it every weekday morning off Concord Avenue. There's a long procession of cars turn off Concord Ave after the parkways back up and then speed down these side street starting from 7AM until about 9AM. But it is what it is.
I’ll bite.

Do you disagree with my comment you quoted where I claim that the basic standard of an 11' multi-use path would be a step in the right direction?

I’ll bite.
e better.
Do you disagree with my comment you quoted where I claim that the basic standard of an 11' multi-use path would be a step in the right direction?
Thanks, firstly I don't mind the "bite". All things being equal. If we were in an all-year warm climate destination it might. Some of the so called path use may curtail overall in winter. Thereby some may switch back from bikes to car. So all things being equal, meh. I can't say it would necc. better or "right direction"?
I'd have to know what's exactly the intended end goal?

Traffic is thrown on those roads at the edge of Cambridge because they're intentionally arterial roads from the highway. Choking them up is physically/intentionally creating more gridlock with the hope more will abandon their vehicles. If they don't, that is not improving the environment. And without an alternate means of transport from whence that traffic is originating (north and west of Boston trying to get downtown), it just means the traffic will diffuse to smaller quiet streets. And that also impacts liveability surrounding the same area you're seeking to 'improve' by large (larger) paths and less road. So the 'net gain' is moot. Is turning quiet streets into thoroughfares a 'right direction' because people are trying to get around induced gridlock. I truly cannot say. If that's what the goal is hop to it and make it happen.

Thanks, firstly I don't mind the "bite". All things being equal. If we were in an all-year warm climate destination it might. Some of the so called path use may curtail overall in winter. Thereby some may switch back from bikes to car. So all things being equal, meh. I can't say it would necc. better or "right direction"?
I'd have to know what's exactly the intended end goal?

Traffic is thrown on those roads at the edge of Cambridge because they're intentionally arterial roads from the highway. Choking them up is physically/intentionally creating more gridlock with the hope more will abandon their vehicles. If they don't, that is not improving the environment. And without an alternate means of transport from whence that traffic is originating (north and west of Boston trying to get downtown), it just means the traffic will diffuse to smaller quiet streets. And that also impacts liveability surrounding the same area you're seeking to 'improve' by large (larger) paths and less road. So the 'net gain' is moot. Is turning quiet streets into thoroughfares a 'right direction' because people are trying to get around induced gridlock. I truly cannot say. If that's what the goal is hop to it and make it happen.
Thanks for engaging in the discussion.

Which quiet streets do you believe would turn into thoroughfares if the Charles River path were built to the basic standard of an 11' multi-use path in Cambridge between the BU Bridge and the Eliot Bridge?

Memorial Drive has been reduced to one lane westbound from just before Amesbury St. to the BU bridge. Is this related to changes in cycling infrastructure and/or the recent death? Cause I didn't see any changes on the EB side, where the incident occurred. Maybe it's unrelated and/or temporary.

On one hand, it'd be nice to have a buffered protected bike lane here (although there has been for a long time a short, weird bollard-separated bike lane, but with no way to access it from the sidewalk, let alone from the right lane where I can't see many people wanting to cycle anyway). On the other hand -- and I'm normally not one to advocate for more car lanes -- if it stays like this it's really gonna back up traffic during rush hour when the rotary is gridlocked, with no way for through traffic to pass backed up from the offramp. I could see having the lanes split at the bridge, one down to the circle and one over the bridge (I think I saw someone diagram that idea somewhere on this forum).

Either way, there needs to be a better/more clear way for cyclists to get from Vassar to the rotary. The sidewalk ain't it, nor is the inaccessible bike lane.

Or maybe a traffic light/crosswalk at Vassar? Would allow cyclists/peds to access the river path without having to go around the circle

Memorial Drive has been reduced to one lane westbound from just before Amesbury St. to the BU bridge. Is this related to changes in cycling infrastructure and/or the recent death? Cause I didn't see any changes on the EB side, where the incident occurred. Maybe it's unrelated and/or temporary.

On one hand, it'd be nice to have a buffered protected bike lane here (although there has been for a long time a short, weird bollard-separated bike lane, but with no way to access it from the sidewalk, let alone from the right lane where I can't see many people wanting to cycle anyway). On the other hand -- and I'm normally not one to advocate for more car lanes -- if it stays like this it's really gonna back up traffic during rush hour when the rotary is gridlocked, with no way for through traffic to pass backed up from the offramp. I could see having the lanes split at the bridge, one down to the circle and one over the bridge (I think I saw someone diagram that idea somewhere on this forum).

Either way, there needs to be a better/more clear way for cyclists to get from Vassar to the rotary. The sidewalk ain't it, nor is the inaccessible bike lane.

Or maybe a traffic light/crosswalk at Vassar? Would allow cyclists/peds to access the river path without having to go around the circle
This is a temporary measure due to the work on eastbound.

This is only based on experience of driving on Mem Drive for my whole life, so it's anecdotal but perhaps not totally uninformed (although I never have had reason to be on Men during the AM rush hour, so probably missing a key time period). But, my experience is that the real traffic on Mem Drive is between BU Bridge and JFK St. A lot of traffic comes off the BU Bridge to head outbound, and a lot of traffic comes off Mem Drive inbound to get onto the BU Bridge. The segment between BU bridge and Mass Ave is not high volume. If that's actually true, it would seem to make sense to reduce Mem to a single lane on that leg. For the outbound portion, this would allow for 1) protected right turns onto Vassar, Albany, and the rotary exit 2) a single lane going over the overpass that would 3) allow a safer merge of the onramp from the rotary. For inbound Men, this would allow 1) a right exit lane for the rotary and 2) for a safer merge of the BU Bridge traffic heading inbound on Mem, and free up space where the biker was hit as well.

Last edited:
Three new separated bike lane projects are getting installed this month in Allston-Brighton:

I’m not made of sugar. I’ll bike in the rain and winter, DCR just needs to stay on top of snow and ice removal.
Right. Most people who bike on the river paths for reasons other than recreation, are likely going to continue biking through the winter. So while the recreational bike riders may disappear, they aren't going to instead drive Memorial in the service of recreation. So very little of the diminished riding in the winter results in more cars on the road.

Three new separated bike lane projects are getting installed this month in Allston-Brighton:

Awesome progress. The real test will be how the major intersections look after the redesign, however. Separated lanes aren't so useful if it requires traversing a 5-way intersection of 3-lanes of cars each (with sharrows) just to reach them. Looking specifically at Beacon st & cambridge, harvard ave & cambridge, western ave & N Harvard, etc.

Does anyone here have a good email to send complaints/concerns about the paths to at DCR? I’m complaining about the tree roots just east of the BU boathouse, they’ve really warped the pavement in one stretch.

Awesome progress. The real test will be how the major intersections look after the redesign, however. Separated lanes aren't so useful if it requires traversing a 5-way intersection of 3-lanes of cars each (with sharrows) just to reach them. Looking specifically at Beacon st & cambridge, harvard ave & cambridge, western ave & N Harvard, etc.
I can't speak to Western Ave & N Harvard, but I know Cambridge St isn't getting touched as part of these improvements, although some minor changes should be made as part of the Route 57 Transit Priority Corridor project. One of the larger intersections that is getting treatment is North Beacon & Market, and it leaves a fair amount to be desired. The lanes do go all the way to the intersection, and there is paint through the intersection, but that's about it. There's no physical protection at the intersection corners and because of how the lights are set up, there's no leading bike (or pedestrian) interval. I hope a more in-depth redesign will occur when Market St gets bike lanes, but there's currently no timeline for that.

As for Cambridge St, any bike lanes will probably have to come as part of a comprehensive Allston Village transportation study, similar to the Western Ave corridor study. The 66 runs along there, and while I'm not a fan of the parking, it is constantly full. Balancing all uses will need more local involvement than other projects. Hopefully that can come soon, because Harvard and Cambridge St bike lanes would go a long way to knitting together the current bike network.

Back