Biking in Boston

I see lots of folks out biking this month (and last month, for that matter). But I can't really blame Hubway for using historical weather data rather than this freakish year's weather to plan their deployment.

I don't get the distinction. Doesn't "observed annual pattern" = "whats typical"?

Nope.

A year at march with temps of 0f followed by a year at 60f gives an average temperature of 30f, which isnt good for biking.

But if you observe that it's a 60 year instead of a 0 year, you should deploy.

Makes more sense with snow, which is the real reason the stations are pulled (plows).

This year was obviously going to be a warm one. Every indicator pointed at that, and I called it in October when the first snow storm hit so early in the season. That + combination of other factors (wind patterns, la niña etc) said it was going to be a year with little snow.

I can't understand how this DC comparison is meaningful. I reiterate, nobody but the hardcore bikes in Boston in March. Regardless of whether Hubway users are tourists or locals, annual members or one time rentals, they are not the hardcore, they are not biking in March in this city.

Yeah, nobody bikes in March in Boston. The weather is so different from DC. Its like two different continents.

Oh wait, which one is which...?

weather.jpg

And heres Chicago, a winter wasteland

weather2-1.jpg

You're just being unreasonable at this point. If we all agree with you can we move on?

Thank you to whoever purchased the Hubway membership with my code.

Quick question: Did you have an issue with the promo code when registering? Mine says invalid.

Interesting. Looks like the same games played in the Boston bike-share RFP contract awards were played in Chicago. The only difference is, their newspaper actually reported on it.

A rival bidder is trying to put the brakes on Chicago’s plan to launch the nation’s largest bike sharing program — by claiming the path was greased for an Oregon company where Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s transportation commissioner once worked.

Josh Squire, owner of Bike Chicago, charged that Transportation Commissioner Gabe Klein “tainted the process” by failing to disclose his prior relationship with winning bidder Alta Bicycle Share and did not really recuse himself from the selection process as he claimed to the Chicago Sun-Times.

• Klein received carbon copies of all correspondence tied to the bike sharing competition and hand picked Chicago Department of Transportation representatives on the selection committee. Rival bidders were told the five-member committee would “recommend” a contractor, but that Klein would have the final say, Squire said.

• Klein and his managing deputy Scott Kubly had conversations with Alta President Mia Birk after the city issued its request for proposals, but before bids were due, in violation of city procurement rules. It happened when Birk was seated at the commissioner’s table at a 25th anniversary celebration for the Active Transportation Alliance. City Hall insists the selection process was not discussed and that Kubly was not at the table.

http://www.suntimes.com/11341996-417/rival-citys-bike-sharing-program-tainted.html

The article goes on with many more bullet points, worth reading.

Two things of note:

When Klein was in charge of the DC process, he awarded the contract to Alta in a no-bid situation.

Also, the same two-RFP game was played, where the first RFP was cancelled and a new one was issued with no explanation.

• The city issued a “requests for proposal” on Sept. 25 with a quick, 30-day turnaround, attracted only three bidders, then cancelled the bids and issued a second request without releasing the first-round proposals or explaining why they were cancelled.

In Boston, the 2009 contract was thrown out and a new one was requested in 2010 with no press coverage.

If the system works well (whether in Chicago or Boston), is this something I should actually care about?

If the system works well (whether in Chicago or Boston), is this something I should actually care about?

I think accountability in government is pretty damn important.

And if a better company is being shut out because they're not in bed with someone in government, that hurts everyone.

A badly managed system can doom bike share in the local area for a long time to come, because people confuse the core technology/service with the implementation.

I want bike share to be amazingly successful, like Paris. Not a niche sideshow.

Right now, Boston is in the middle. Its not a disaster, like many of the 20 station systems are, but being stuck under 100 stations really hurts the real effects it can have on how people get around.

2012 should have been 200 stations in the system, not struggling to install 57.

I rode out to Nahant and back this morning. Covering that much distance on a bicycle makes downtown Boston feel a lot smaller. With that said, I applaud the city on its progress to make its roads more bicycle and pedestrian friendly. I bet a lot more people would venture out of the city to Revere Beach or even Nahant Beach if those towns did a little to spruce up their paths.

Oh, and I tried Kelly's Roast Beef for the first time today. Pretty good stuff!

I forgot to ask, the city did their annual bike update a few weeks ago.

Were any new projects announced for this year?

Also, is the mass ave lane installation completely done?

I forgot to ask, the city did their annual bike update a few weeks ago.

Were any new projects announced for this year?

Also, is the mass ave lane installation completely done?

I'm pretty sure I posted the annual update (or at least I intended to). I think I did because I remember bolding the key points.

I rode out to Nahant and back this morning. Covering that much distance on a bicycle makes downtown Boston feel a lot smaller. With that said, I applaud the city on its progress to make its roads more bicycle and pedestrian friendly. I bet a lot more people would venture out of the city to Revere Beach or even Nahant Beach if those towns did a little to spruce up their paths.

Oh, and I tried Kelly's Roast Beef for the first time today. Pretty good stuff!

Access to Nahant Beach should improve as a part of the Bike to the Sea/Northern Strand Community Trail project. It completely hinges on Lynn's support, though, and it seems there's a bit of behind the scenes dealing going on in Lynn in regards to their portion of the path, so doesn't look so good.

BostInno apparently shadowed an installation of a Hubway station back on March 22.

http://bostinno.com/2012/03/22/behind-the-scenes-of-hubways-second-season-launch-images/

March 22nd, 2012 by Greg Hum Posted in Bikeyface, biking, Boston Bikes, Hubway
CITY NEWS
inShare

It was only the second day of spring here in Boston, but yesterday felt more like mid-summer; people and bicycles were out and about, emerging from the indoor confines of a (not-so-brutal) winter to enjoy the sunny high-of-79-degrees-Fahrenheit breeze. Rolling outbound on my bike down Commonwealth Ave. by Boston University, I stumbled upon two friends, Galen Mook and Graham Conway, who also happened to be part of the awesome Hubway crew installing bike share stations all over Boston.

Graham tidied up the inner cabling and positioned the panels, while Galen used a power drill with a socket wrench to tighten the bolts on the panels. Both of them were focused on the job at hand: To assemble and prepare each nut and bolt on these Hubway stations with speed and precision to prepare them for the thousands of students, tourists and commuters who will be using it for the year. Galen explained the process.

An hour to drop it off with the crane and an hour to install it.” Graham looked up for a few seconds to clarify, “We’re rolling out five stations a day, and it’s a lot of work.”

After installing the cabling and all the panels, Graham grabbed his handy spray-bottle of tri-flow lubricant and greased up the locking plates the Hubway bikes lock into.

In the top-secret control panel behind the kiosk panel, Galen flipped a switch that was on the mainboard and pointed his finger to the tiny green LED on the circuit board, indicating the power was on. “Soon they’ll start blinking, and we’ll be in business.”

Galen then ripped off an inch of scotch tape to stick on a partial-service notice to the Hubway map and snapped into place the last panel to install: The one that sits atop the map with the name of the station’s location.

Finally, in the pickup truck next to the station, Galen picked up one of the two Hubway bikes to be left at this station.

And soon, the station popped up on the online Hubway station map, showing the fruits of Galen and Graham’s labor:

Last year when Boston rolled out the Hubway bike share system, the bicycling landscape of Boston was changed forever. Tourists, students, commuters, and everyday folk were riding Hubway bicycles everywhere. Hubway closed up shop and put the stations away for the winter, but now they’re back.

Friends, this year’s seasonal bicycling epidemic is now officially underway, and, no doubt, Hubway will be exploding even more than it did last year. As blogger and artist Bikeyface observed last year, morning commutes on the esplanade with Hubway riders will become more common:

Happy Spring, Boston Bikers!

An update from the mayor of Malden today at his State of the City breakfast: the Northern Strand Community Trail/Bike to the Sea will be paved with recycled asphalt in the Malden stretch. The entire trail from Everett to Lynn is intended to be crushed stone dust, but Malden is putting forward the funding for paving.

The bike path is still slated for a ribbon cutting on the Everett and Malden sections in June.

As I was leaving the breakfast, I saw they were ripping the rails out of the parking lots in the Rt 60 grade crossing's vicinity.

BostInno apparently shadowed an installation of a Hubway station back on March 22.

http://bostinno.com/2012/03/22/behind-the-scenes-of-hubways-second-season-launch-images/

Yesterday (March 29th), Hubway finished installing the last 2 stations, only 29 days after the initial opening date.

Thats under 2 stations a day. So not quite the 5 stations a day mentioned in the article. I guess there wasnt much of a rush.

But really, what do numbers really mean amongst friends?

hubway1-1.jpg

Again, not quite. 57 are on the ground today, and thats the most they got last year.

I guess its easy to misplace 4 stations, amirite?

The Prudential station on the Boylston Side and Buswell Street station from last year have yet to be reinstalled. Leaving #60-61's locations a mystery.

The Hubway station at Nashua/Causeway/Staniford/Merrimac is still missing, too.

There was a shortlived station at Comm Ave and Harvard Ave in Allston, until a Boston police officer said the location "looked dangerous" and the City took it away. WTF?! Never mind that it would easily be the most in demand location for a Hubway station.

Just got this e-mail:

To our valued Hubway members:

You are cordially invited to join Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino as he officially launches the 2012 New Balance Hubway season at noon on Tuesday, April 3. The Mayor will be joined by Nicole Freedman, representatives from the Metropolitan Area Planning Council, and other Hubway dignitaries at the Boston Public Library Hubway Station to remind us that "the car is no longer king in Boston."

This is your chance to 'Ride Up and Be Counted' as a Hubway supporter! Simply check out any Hubway bike from our network of stations across the city and ride to the event at the Boston Public Library. Once you arrive, be sure to check in with a member of the Hubway staff and provide your key fob number. All usage fees will be waived for your use of the bike on that day! As an added benefit, our friends at Boloco Burrito will provide a complimentary burrito to the first 100 riders who arrive on a Hubway bike!

April 3, 2012
12:00 - 1:00 pm
Boston Public Library, Dartmouth Street Plaza

The inaugural season for the New Balance Hubway was a huge success. Come down and help us kick off 2012 right!

Ride Safe, and Happy Spring!
The Hubway Team

Boloco Burritos will be available to the first 100 Hubway riders that arrive before 12:30.
Mayor Menino, MAPC representatives and Nicole Freedman will be speaking from 12:30 to 1pm.

Remember, if you're riding a Hubway to the event, check in with a Hubway staff member with your key fob to assure your usage fees are waived for the day!

...Apparently their definition of "huge success" includes not installing all the stations, but continuing to advertise otherwise.

It's a really poor business decision to advertise 61 stations, when that isn't the case yet, and open oneself up to a costly class action lawsuit concerning false advertising on behalf of the membership.

Potentially tying up a large number of the system's bikes for an event doesn't seem like much of a service to the user base either!

Back