Biking in Boston

Oh look, the system begins closing in 4 DAYS! Those sunny 50 degree days in the forecast are just so hostile to biking.

Great advance notice.

Oh, and theyre closing up EARLIER than last year.

As we did last year, our pack-up plan consists initially of a phased drawdown of our on-street stations and those stations with expiring permits. This will begin on Monday, November 19th and continue through our last day of operation on Wednesday, November 28th. The system shuts down completely at 11:59pm that day, and we then collect the rest of the stations and bicycles as quickly as we can to beat the arrival of old man winter.

http://bostonbiker.org/

I don't know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing with these numbers. But, this seems to be the data for Boston-Cambridge-Somerville biking with other parts of the country.

http://www.governing.com/blogs/by-the-numbers/bike-to-work-map-us-cities-census-data.html

the margin of error on this particular data set is unfortunately too high to get an accurate picture of true bike commuting numbers - and this also excludes students and people who normally take transit/walk to work who might bike for other trips. My question is does this include people who do mixed-mode? like people who bike to a train station?

as an aside - I understand the motorist mode share in Boston less than [oops]1/3rd [/oops] 1/2 people driving to work as primary means - and if mode share for biking goes up, it'll likely come from transit, not necessarily motorists.

Last edited:
as an aside - I understand the motorist mode share in Boston less than 1/3rd people driving to work as primary means - and if mode share for biking goes up, it'll likely come from transit, not necessarily motorists.

Where'd this come from? Boston MSA is 83% car commuting (drove alone + carpool). City itself is around 55% car commuting.

My question is does this include people who do mixed-mode? like people who bike to a train station?

It depends, but mostly no.

You get asked to pick the ONE mode you use more often.

Bike to work 2 times a week, car the other 3?

0% bike, 100% car.

Bike 1 mile to train, take train 10 miles to work?

0% bike, 100% transit.

Its not good data, it hugely underestimates bike commutes because people are likely to split with transit, and use bike as their shorter leg, and people also tend to bike maybe only on fridays, or only on good weather days etc.

And of course, doesnt count non-commute trips, even if theyre longer.

Where'd this come from? Boston MSA is 83% car commuting (drove alone + carpool). City itself is around 55% car commuting.

oops - I meant less than 1/2 - around 45%. from the same survey (american community survey).

It depends, but mostly no.

You get asked to pick the ONE mode you use more often.

Bike to work 2 times a week, car the other 3?

0% bike, 100% car.

Bike 1 mile to train, take train 10 miles to work?

0% bike, 100% transit.

Its not good data, it hugely underestimates bike commutes because people are likely to split with transit, and use bike as their shorter leg, and people also tend to bike maybe only on fridays, or only on good weather days etc.

And of course, doesnt count non-commute trips, even if theyre longer.

right - just look at the cages/racks around certain T stops. I also split modes during the week/year - I walk, bike, T, drive... I'd prefer to bike into work, but there are a couple spots where I'm too scared to bike after dark. There are sharrows and the speed is posted at 20 MPH, but there are trucks and people drive at least 40.

Last edited:
If you're scared to ride after dark, just add more lights to your bike (or your person).

oops - I meant less than 1/2 - around 45%. from the same survey (american community survey).

right - just look at the cages/racks around certain T stops. I also split modes during the week/year - I walk, bike, T, drive... I'd prefer to bike into work, but there are a couple spots where I'm too scared to bike after dark. There are sharrows and the speed is posted at 20 MPH, but there are trucks and people drive at least 40.

Not for nothing but does the average motorist know what a "sharrow" is or means? I've had a license for 17 years and it was not on the driving test I took.

A police officer was under the impression that bicyclists are required to stay in bike lanes, so you can only imagine what the average driver thinks.

Also, he said he was not a fan of cycle tracks because they are hard for the DPW guys to keep clean and clear of snow, or so he thinks.

In case you can't read the linked article, it says Hubway would like to go year-round starting next year.

Not for nothing but does the average motorist know what a "sharrow" is or means? I've had a license for 17 years and it was not on the driving test I took.

Of course it wasnt, they were only just invented within the last 5 years.

Thats why drivers should have to do the written test every renewal.

Of course it wasnt, they were only just invented within the last 5 years.

Thats why drivers should have to do the written test every renewal.

Knowing what the term "sharrow" means and being able to answer a written question about it bears no relation whatsoever to driving ability.

Knowing what the term "sharrow" means and being able to answer a written question about it bears no relation whatsoever to driving ability.

...except understanding that when you see one, you should be expecting to see cyclists and that they have as much right o the lane as the car you are in, so maybe you should be a little more attentive and drive a little be more cautiously.

But other than that, you're 100% right.

and you should also understand that it is *not* an exclusive bike lane -- I've seen several online postings in various places by motorists who thought it was.

My impression of a sharrow was that bikes stay to the side (where sharrows are painted) and cars may legally pass. If it means bikes take the full lane, then why are they painted over on the side of the road? Should paint them in the middle...

My impression of a sharrow was that bikes stay to the side (where sharrows are painted) and cars may legally pass. If it means bikes take the full lane, then why are they painted over on the side of the road? Should paint them in the middle...

As with many traffic control devices, the idea of sharrows is to have a sufficiently obvious implication and meaning that they influence behavior. They aren't regulatory devices (meaning they don't denote any particular law or say you can only travel on x part of the road). The research shows that when used appropriately bicyclists and motorists intuitively recognize their meaning and alter their behavior accordingly. Meaning, bicyclists take the road less often, motorists give bicyclists more space, etc.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/safety/pedbike/10044/index.cfm

Theyre supposed to be painted in the middle, yes, and accompanied with the "bikes may use full lane" sign.

And that is why we cant just throw paint on the road and expect people to understand it, you have to be tested.

Sadly, not all sharrows are applied correctly.

Hubway has constantly blamed "permits" for delays in their system expansion, which missed its goal for the second straight year.

Heres the real reason. As I predicted, they bid on too many cities, won too many contracts, and just arent able to meet the stated goals.

Id argue that if Chicago and NYC had indeed launched this year, Hubway would not have seen the cambridge expansion because all the hardware would have gone there. It also looks unlikely that Chicago and NYC will see their full launch next year if the company can't even fill 2012 orders.

The District’s long-planned expansion of Capital Bikeshare this fall has hit a snag because the city has been unable to get all of the needed equipment from its supplier, officials said Monday.

For much of the year, D.C. Department of Transportation officials have pledged that the city would be adding an additional 54 bike share stations throughout the city this fall. But with fall almost over, officials are recalibrating their timeline for the expansion.

John Lisle, a DDOT spokesman, said that although some new stations could be installed by the end of the month, many would not be.

“We are still waiting on equipment for the new stations,” Lisle said. “We are hopeful we will be able to get some down by the end of the year, but we will not get all 54 stations installed this year as planned.”

D.C. Council member Mary M. Cheh (D-Ward 3), the chairwoman of Committee on the Environment, Public Works and Transportation, said she is “very disappointed” by the delay. Cheh said she plans to consult with other officials to try to make sure Capital Bikeshare's expansion is not slowed by demand from other cities.

“I think they should owe a high degree of loyalty to us because we were, in a way, sort of launching their operations,” Cheh said. “I think we deserve at least some deference to make sure they are supplying us according to what they promised.”

The constant problems havent stopped them from winning contracts. Its easy to win when you promise things no one can meet.

This year, New York City pushed back its planned rollout of its bike share system – slated to be the largest in the United States – until spring because of a reported technological glitch with the equipment.

A similar issue has delayed planned programs in Chicago, San Francisco and Nashville, all of which have partnered with Alta.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...dfe2ae4-3d8a-11e2-ae43-cf491b837f7b_blog.html

Back