Biking in Boston

Why would you keep buses away from their customers?

I don't want to keep people away from a stopped bus.

I want to keep them away from a bus moving at 25~35 mph, so that nobody ends up under the moving bus. (This is also why I want to keep people away from moving trains.)

The kind of streets I'm thinking about, vehicles don't move that fast. At most, 15 mph. Which is exponentially safer for everyone (chances of fatal collision drop precipitously once speeds go under 20 mph). Also, bicycles can easily mingle with vehicle traffic of 15 mph and under.

Even on wider arterials where you do have designated vehicle travel lanes, I don't see why you need this fancy segregated lane. They're not highways, and shouldn't be.

Hubway will be closed beginning tomorrow, Monday in anticipation of the hurricane. Just announced on Facebook.

From the website:
Due to the approaching weather related to Hurricane Sandy, the Hubway will experience a temporary closure planned for 10am EST on Monday, October 29. The system will reopen as the weather conditions allow. To report any damage to a Hubway station or bikes please contact our customer service line at 1-855-4HUBWAY, or email customerservice@thehubway.com.
Thanks for your patience and understanding during this interruption, and be safe!

Can't happen soon enough. I've come to live with the usual everyday cyclist assholes who at least exhibit some clue as to what they're doing(not that I condone it), but the Hubway amateurs bring the two-wheeled stupidity to a new level.

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud.jpg

Hubway is shutting down on December 1st for the Winter.

Which I presume means they wont finish their expansion?

Theyre at 104 stations now, short of all announced targets.

I guess its ok, I think missing numbers is a Hubway tradition.

The Bostonography folks made some Hubway visualization maps. Here.

Fantastic tool. You can see cool things like BU students using the Park/Buswell station to get home from Allston and downtown after the T stops running.

Almost got run down by Hubway riders on the sidewalk on Boylston. Does Hubway not post the rules and regulations, or do these fair-weather bikers just not care? People who don't know or care how to bike properly in the city shouldn't. I think the same thing about drivers and pedestrians btw...

Almost got run down by Hubway riders on the sidewalk on Boylston. Does Hubway not post the rules and regulations, or do these fair-weather bikers just not care? People who don't know or care how to bike properly in the city shouldn't. I think the same thing about drivers and pedestrians btw...

Do you rage about Hertz, Avis, Dollar etc drivers who behave badly?

Because those companies are about just as responsible.

(Ie, not at all).

I'm not raging at Hubway... but your analogy is not a good one. Rental cars are only allowed to rent to licensed, insured drivers. There's no such regulations for bike sharing because (appropriately) there's no licensure or insurance requirement for bicycling. Anyone can rent from Hubway, and that's fine; but I'm going to bitch about it when people use that rented equipment like assholes. I'll ask again if the program posts city rules for proper bike use.

I think it tells you to wear a helmet and that's about it. It is incredibly simple to add a couple more lines simply stating, "Cycling is prohibited on sidewalks. Bicycles are subject to motor vehicle traffic laws."

I think it tells you to wear a helmet and that's about it. It is incredibly simple to add a couple more lines simply stating, "Cycling is prohibited on sidewalks. Bicycles are subject to motor vehicle traffic laws."

"Bicycles yield to all crossing pedestrians."

Alternatively, "All bicycles stop on red and yield on green."

Hubway added another station this week, on the esplanade , sort of in the MGH area.

That takes them to 105 stations.

Whats baffling is.....I believe they start packing up in about 10 days, unless something just changed? The facebook says the system closes in 3 weeks.

They were supposed to have 108-115 stations this year (lol, summer expansion), wonder if theyre coughing up an extra 3 next week to hit some contractual number?

On the Esplanade? Unless it's there to serve Hatch Shell events or Community Boating, that seems like a really bad idea. Stations should be in places that have a reasonable amount of foot traffic at most hours of the day.

Perhaps they're going for the perv, mugger or run-of-the-mill weirdo demographics. They're usually in need of fast getaways.

Actually, having one on the Esplanade itself is kind of nice. I know people who are afraid to bike on the streets but will gladly bike along the river. They can just walk over to the Esplanade, grab a bike, drop it off near where they're going, and walk the rest of the way.

Yeah I think the location is fine, its the timing that makes no sense.

Its a small station, just 11 docks.

And again, absolutely no publicity of new stations. If youre not keeping track, like I am, youd have no clue.

Back