Biking in Boston

In Paris, bikes are not required to pull over to make way for fire trucks and ambulances? That just seems wrong. Everyone should be trying to get out of the way.

Keeps the cost of universal healthcare down when more people die before getting to the hospital. :rolleyes:

And yes, this thread is now officially hopelessly derailed.

To a bicyclist on the sidewalk I would say go at a reasonable rate and yield to people. 5 mph is probably too low to set a limit -- there's a minimum needed to maintain stability through angular momentum, you know. Instead of a number I would ask for a context. A bicyclist doing 15 mph on an empty sidewalk away from buildings isn't harming anyone. But buzzing people would be acting recklessly.

If you've ever ridden on the southwest corridor - there are two parallel paths: one specifically for cyclists, one specifically for pedestrians (there are signs as you enter the path). Pedestrians are ALWAYS on the cycle path and rarely on the pedestrian path for some reason. If you've done that route enough times you start to get really annoyed at people walking on the cycle path.

tumblr_m3bihtdWsa1qji3vgo1_500.gif

Thinking of signing up for an annual hubway pass this year. In the past I only went for 3-day passes. But that keychain dongle really makes it more convenient.

Anyone have a thought about annual passes?

Thinking of signing up for an annual hubway pass this year. In the past I only went for 3-day passes. But that keychain dongle really makes it more convenient.

I've never used Hubway before but I just got an annual pass because MIT makes it way too cheap ($25!!!) to pass up.

I got the annual pass last year for $40 (half price) via LivingSocial. I absolutely loved it. The key dongle is super-convenient. Swipe it and go. It takes about 5 seconds to get or switch a bike (if you are making a pit stop on a long journey to avoid fees).

Now if we could only harvest and post Latrice Royale's laugh here..

Im lucky. Since I moved to Pittsburgh this summer, I now get to see Alaska Thunderfuck perform almost every week. Sharron Needles shows up to watch all the time too. These shows are crazy, in a tiny bar, and you never know who is going to show up....

Re the Southwest Corridor it's because the pedestrian path is directly adjacent to the street and therefore is much nosier/uglier than the bicycle path, which is in the middle of the linear park.

Thyeve been installing for two weeks now. If they launch in mid April, it will be an entire month later than last year

To be fair, we didn't have any March snow last year. They ought to figure out year-round installation, but I wasn't expecting them to do it on short notice.

This is a week old but I dont think it was posted

The new measures stem from recommendations by a BU and City of Boston working group convened at the urging of President Brown and Mayor Menino after a series of bicycle collisions, including the death of a BU student in December. Working in coordination with the city’s Transportation Commissioner, Thomas J. Tinlin, and Director of Bicycle Programs, Nicole Freedman, BU helped propose safety measures that the City will implement as a pilot on the stretch of Commonwealth Avenue between Kenmore Square and Packard’s Corner (Boston’s first location for bike lanes), with the potential to expand to other areas of the city with high bicycle traffic and lanes. They include:

Posting of advisory/cautionary signs – new signs designating the stretch as a “high bicycle and pedestrian activity zone”; 25 mph speed limit signs; “yield to bicycles when turning right” signs; and “share the road” signs.

Installation of enhanced bike-lane pavement markings– each bike-lane intersection crossing to be painted using non-skid, high-visibility green paint and the width of bike-lane edge markings will increase from four to six inches. White Bike Sharrow pavement markings within the green paint area will be added at busy intersections. In areas that have long crossings multiple Sharrows will be installed.

Installation of highway reflectors –highway reflectors on the pavement along the outside edge of bike lanes between intersections, and more closely spaced in advance of each intersection crossing.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/news/default.aspx?id=6036

I especially like that theyre adding the reflectors to the lane, when it rains, the paint disappears among the reflection of lights in the pavement.

Anyone know what the current speed limit is? Im certain its not 25mph.

Last edited:
30mph, routinely flaunted.

Not that you'd ever see the police ever dare to suggest that drivers follow the law. They reserve their finger-wagging for bicyclists.

Re the Southwest Corridor it's because the pedestrian path is directly adjacent to the street and therefore is much nosier/uglier than the bicycle path, which is in the middle of the linear park.

only in some sections - I get most annoyed at the parts where there are two equally good parallel paths and the pedestrians are all on the bike side - I wouldn't mind riding along side the street if that sidewalk was wide enough (although I often do to avoid pedestrians).

if there was one wide path with a two-way bike lane on one side... that would be better too.

Thyeve been installing for two weeks now. If they launch in mid April, it will be an entire month later than last year

I'm hoping for any day now, I saw bikes at a few of the downtown stations yesterday. I tried my brand new member key, but the bike rack gave me angry beeps and a flashing red light.

I'm hoping for any day now, I saw bikes at a few of the downtown stations yesterday. I tried my brand new member key, but the bike rack gave me angry beeps and a flashing red light.

Their facebook page is packed with angry customers but it looks like they fired their own PR guy because theres been zero response.

Does this company not understand how public relations work?

Back