Biking in Boston

Agree 100%. Ideal situation would be a two-way cycle track and widened sidewalks. The biggest threat to pedestrians along Charles Street is how narrow the current sidewalks are.

The meeting later this month focuses on cycletracks around the Public Garden, but getting even a contraflow lane up Charles would be excellent for area residents as well as the hundreds of daily commuters coming in from Camberville. Hopefully the meeting will include discussion of how cyclists are coming into the Public Garden area, (Charles, Tremont, Comm Ave and Boylston), that's certainly what I want to advocate for.

Right now there is no easy way to go north from downtown to Beacon Hill or the Longfellow. You can go play in traffic on Cambridge street, salmon illegally up one-way side streets like Cedar street, menace the pedestrians on the Charles River path, or follow the legal, safer, but steep roads up and over the hill.

Just learned this:

The TIGER Grant program is one of the most competitive grant programs run by the federal government and Boston is the only award in Mass for this round. The City has filed many TIGER grants over the years since the program was created by the Recovery Act but had not been selected in past rounds.

Highlights of the Boston award include:

Connect Historic Boston Bike trail: Improve bicycling into and around downtown Boston with improved bicycle lanes and signage. In 2012, the Hubway Bike Share program recorded more than 530,000 rides. Improvements to Causeway and Commercial streets will be implemented with separated bicycle lanes, space for group travel, bi-directional routes, and wayfinding to park sites. When complete, the trail will create a high-quality and family-friendly bicycle facility with connections to regional and local paths.

The Blackstone Block: The Blackstone Block, America’s most intact colonial street network, will be reinvigorated to feature a curbless, accessible, and shared street environment. By investing in the infrastructure at these blocks, the new pedestrian network will better link Haymarket Station to Faneuil Hall and the National Park Service Visitor Center, and improve viability around new development opportunities.

Constitution Road: The primary entrance into the Charlestown Navy Yard, a National Park Service site, and home to new residential, commercial, and medical facilities, Constitution Road will be transformed into a welcoming, multimodal street, with sufficient space for pedestrians and bicycles at the front door of the Navy Yard. A wider sidewalk and two-way, sidewalk level, cycle track will create a new route for local residents, visitors walking to the park, and commuters originating from North Station and downtown Boston.

Joy Street: The African American National Historic Site and Black Heritage Trail are minutes away from busy transit stops and bicycle routes but are dominated by vehicular traffic. A prominent pedestrian entrance at Joy and Cambridge Streets to the African American National Historic Site, in addition to a curbless streetscape, will facilitate shared use and strengthen accessible routes into the neighborhood.

If you're interested, there will be a press conference tomorrow at 10 a.m. in front of the Sam Adams statue at Faneuil Hall. Deputy Secretary for the DOT, Polly Trottenberg, and Congressman Capuano will present Mayor Menino with a $15.5 million TIGER grant award for the Connect Historic Boston Initiative.

http://connecthistoric-boston.org/

Last edited:
Saw the map of the downtown bike trail, it will be separated from traffic with two-way passage - amazing for crowded Boston! Urban AdvenTours must be ecstatic. Indianapolis takes the cake for separated bike trails, though, they've gone bonkers with many millions of dollars from private interests. They are the Interstate standard for downtown bike trails. (They have many wide straight streets).

coUrbanize confirmed the Charlestown Hubway (Hayes Square):

http://courbanize.com/project/21/

29nihpx.png

This will be helpful in making the "Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital - Charlestown Navy Yard" Hubway not so isolated. This gives Charlestown 4 hubway stations, so they are still underserved, in my opinion.

Needham rail trail moving ahead

unfortunately there's a gap between the planned trail and Boston's network - which is currently taken up by the Needham line of the Commuter Rail. It's a little frustrating to me that these trails are only conceived as being for recreation, and not as part of a greater metro area bike network. Maybe we'll get there one day.

Boston Globe: Boston officials plan to install 20 miles of cycle tracks by 2018

The words “cycle track” may be unfamiliar to most Bostonians, but the term may soon become a familiar phrase at community meetings: By 2018, city officials intend to install more than 20 miles of cycle tracks — bike lanes with physical barriers between bikes and cars — on major thoroughfares throughout Boston.

The plans for the new lanes are part of wider plan for the city’s bicycle infrastructure over the next five years. A report from the city’s bike and transportation departments, expected to be released Friday, includes 100 new miles of bike pathways in the city.

The plan is not set in stone: The next mayor of Boston could decide not to fund the street construction projects and residents opposed to changes to their neighborhood streets will get their say.

Up to this point, the installation of bike facilities in Boston has been piecemeal, creating unconnected stretches of bike lanes scattered throughout the city. The plan to be released Friday represents a new approach that will provide uninterrupted stretches of safe roadway from residential areas to business centers, said Nicole Freedman, director of Boston Bikes, the city’s bike department.

Related
Plan for Boston’s bike network

“When you look at a world-class bicycling city now, where 10 to 30 percent of trips are made by bike, you need a very well-thought-out, smart strategy to get there,” Freedman said. With the bike network plan, she continued, “we’re in a much better position to accomplish those aggressive goals.”

Freedman’s office spent two years drafting the map, shaped by talks with bike advocacy groups, universities, businesses, and other city departments, along with discussions at public meetings around the city, and the data from an online mapping tool that solicited information from cyclists on problem roads.

Pete Stidman, director of the Boston Cyclists Union, said the map will increase understanding of how bike infrastructure fits into a larger plan for the city.

“It’s a common comment [at public meetings] — ‘You’re putting this bike lane in, but it doesn’t really go anywhere, how is this really going to help?’ ” Stidman said. “What this does is it communicates the vision of how bikes can become a real transportation option for the city.”

The city’s plan would bring a cycle track — a bike lane protected by a physical barrier from cars, like a concrete curb or plastic posts — to the length of Boylston Street in the Back Bay, as well as Allston-Brighton’s Commonwealth Avenue and part of Cambridge Street.

A cycle track is also expected to run along Summer Street, connecting South Boston with the Financial District. One will also be placed on Shawmut Avenue and its continuation of Tremont Street, connecting Roxbury with downtown.

The plan lists other bike-friendly street features that may soon appear in the city: Thin ramps on the sides of stairs to allow people to push their bicycles up and down without carrying them; signs that direct people to the nearest cycle track; and traffic signals dedicated specifically to cyclists.

Still, Stidman criticized parts of the plan, saying that it offers few benefits for Charlestown and East Boston, and overlooks Dorchester, Roxbury, and Mattapan. He pointed out that there are no plans for cycle tracks on the major thoroughfares of Blue Hill Avenue — which runs through all three sections of the city — and Warren Street in Roxbury.

“It doesn’t do enough to bring in traditionally underserved areas,” Stidman said. “These neighborhoods are short-shrifted by transit, and I think what we really need to focus on as a city is how to get more access to these communities.”

The separated cycle tracks will probably be controversial — they are thought to be safer for cyclists, but require taking away road space for driving or parking and cost much more than traditional painted lanes. At a Wednesday meeting on a proposal to place a cycle track around Boston Public Garden, several residents balked at the idea of removing 33 of the area’s 209 parking spots to accommodate the separated bike lanes.

The estimated price tag for the 100 miles of additional bike facilities is $30 million, though not all of that money would come from the city. Grants and state funds may pay for some of the projects, and others could be incorporated into previously scheduled street repair projects without adding to construction costs, Freedman said.

At a recent forum on transportation issues, mayoral candidates said they planned to introduce more cycle tracks to Boston.

Here's the map of the proposed network with a slider for different time periods:

http://maps.cityofboston.gov/bikenetwork/

^ Funding commitments, inter-agency coordination and local politics are the reason it's scheduled over such a long period. Politically this will be a battle and a half.

Does anyone know of any plans to fix the southwest corridor so that bikes and pedestrians aren't merging all of the time? (additional signage and curb cuts would go miles to making it more efficient)

^ Funding commitments, inter-agency coordination and local politics are the reason it's scheduled over such a long period. Politically this will be a battle and a half.

in terms of local politics - the southern neighborhoods should have no problems - people there really really really want bike infrastructure. only major battles are going to be where they're occurring currently (like southie and charlestown).

I think the big issue will be funding and the ability of district council reps to get said funding. DCR and massDOT seem to be more committed to bike infrastructure as of late.

- edit - and it's also tied to road life-cycle - which the report says is 20-30 years.

Does anyone know of any plans to fix the southwest corridor so that bikes and pedestrians aren't merging all of the time? (additional signage and curb cuts would go miles to making it more efficient)

Jeff Ferris of Ferris Wheels is the person to contact about the SW corridor.

in terms of local politics - the southern neighborhoods should have no problems - people there really really really want bike infrastructure. only major battles are going to be where they're occurring currently (like southie and charlestown).

I think the big issue will be funding and the ability of district council reps to get said funding. DCR and massDOT seem to be more committed to bike infrastructure as of late.

- edit - and it's also tied to road life-cycle - which the report says is 20-30 years.

That too. I think cycle tracks are going to make more waves than bike lanes do. The traffic NIMBYs will be out in force. It's counter-intuitive because it's segregating the traffic flow, which is what drivers want, but it also visually takes space away from cars, which they'll scream about.

That too. I think cycle tracks are going to make more waves than bike lanes do. The traffic NIMBYs will be out in force. It's counter-intuitive because it's segregating the traffic flow, which is what drivers want, but it also visually takes space away from cars, which they'll scream about.

I agree re: cycle tracks really moving the dial on bumping up the bicycle mode share. I'd say half of my circle of friends - young professionals, mid 20's to mid 30's - have all expressed interest in biking but would only do so if they felt more protected. This is how you get those people out on their bikes.

I believe many of the cycle tracks in the 5 years plan have either already gone through approval or are pretty close. I think the only truly contentious one is the one around the public garden.

in the 30 year plan - the ones that snake through the southern neighborhoods are largely on roadways that could easily accommodate them without affecting both travel lanes and parking (i.e. american legion). The big fights are going to be closer in to downtown. That said - to make the biggest impact, the city should be focusing largely in the southern neighborhoods because they'd encounter the most support and least resistance. Once the wealthy white NIMBYs see just how nice the cycle tracks are in places like Mattapan, Roxbury, and Dorchester, they'll want them too.

I agree re: cycle tracks really moving the dial on bumping up the bicycle mode share. I'd say half of my circle of friends - young professionals, mid 20's to mid 30's - have all expressed interest in biking but would only do so if they felt more protected. This is how you get those people out on their bikes.

Count me in on that. I would commute from Fenway to Copley every day, rain or shine, on bike if there was more than a painted strip on the ground to protect me.

Jeff is a great contact for this, but many other people are involved.

The next Parkland Management Advisory Committee (PMAC) meeting is on Wednesday Oct. 2nd at:
7pm
2nd Floor Conference Room,
Boston Police Station
1 Schroeder Plaza, Corner of Ruggles and Tremont Sts.

The first part of the meeting is always the police reports from Boston, State, and MBTA police - 7pm to about 7:45 pm. After that the other issues are addressed.

Portions of the bike path were repaved three years ago, I suspect it will be some time before addition major work is done on the paths. I would be pushing to make some of the bike paths that are used by pedestrians wider - maybe 12-14' wide and get better curb cuts.
I think that the crappy curb cuts/ ADA ramps that have been done over the past two summers are by the city, but I'm not certain of that. The PMAC needs to be pushing Boston Public Works to do better.

I believe many of the cycle tracks in the 5 years plan have either already gone through approval or are pretty close. I think the only truly contentious one is the one around the public garden.

The north end cycle track was fully approved and ready to be built.

And then at the very VERY last minute, someone made a phone call and they put in a regular bike lane instead.

Back