Biking the Boston 'Burbs (Trails, MDC, & Towns beyond Hubway area)

^^ Agree it's a great project, but the connection to biking / bike trails is fairly limited (the bridge as I understand would be a fairly short pedestrian/bike connection from the commercial, hotel and - soon - residential big-box buildings on Baker Avenue, to West Concord center / Concord Junction).

There are 3 amazing potential bike initiatives for Concord that I *do* really hope to see, fwiw:
1) Paving the Reformatory Branch to effectively extend to Concord the Minuteman Bike Path
2) Connecting the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail and the Assabet River Rail Trail (i.e., building a paved path along the Fitchburg MBTA line from West Concord to South Acton)
3) Adding meaningfully protected bike lanes across the many many Concord roads that are great for biking (Main Street/Route 62, Lowell Road, Monument Street, etc.).

Bedford rejecting the eminent domain to upgrade their portion of the Reformatory Branch was partially driven by Concord’s irrational fear of it dumping out on a dirt track just past Route 62. Short of the state mandating it (probably as a stone dust path), it will never happen.

^^ Agree it's a great project, but the connection to biking / bike trails is fairly limited (the bridge as I understand would be a fairly short pedestrian/bike connection from the commercial, hotel and - soon - residential big-box buildings on Baker Avenue, to West Concord center / Concord Junction).

There are 3 amazing potential bike initiatives for Concord that I *do* really hope to see, fwiw:
1) Paving the Reformatory Branch to effectively extend to Concord the Minuteman Bike Path
2) Connecting the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail and the Assabet River Rail Trail (i.e., building a paved path along the Fitchburg MBTA line from West Concord to South Acton)
3) Adding meaningfully protected bike lanes across the many many Concord roads that are great for biking (Main Street/Route 62, Lowell Road, Monument Street, etc.).
Yeah I guess by great project I meant it’s a great project for the public, which a new bridge over a river that connects new developments to a bike path definitely is. But it’s more of a public amenities project than truly a biking project.

Back