Blue line idea

Jouhou

Reaction score
So I was thinking while I was looking at the rowes quarry development in its big crater from my bus back home today... about how many cars that may be adding to the roads. Why don't we ever propose this "blue line to Lynn" thing in a far more feasible way... do it in short segments at a time, over a few decades. Put it underground. Bring it through these other communities, slowly, creating little urban pockets at each new stop. More tax revenue, better funding. If let's say, there's a funding conundrum along the way, well at least a new station may be benefiting a community drowning in traffic and parking lots. And maybe in a century it might actually make it to Lynn. Am I crazy for thinking these transit ideas would be less of a financial disaster if we planned on having slow progress from the start?

The Blue Line to Lynn has failed for a lot of reasons over the decades. I would love to know the real reasons but I have a feeling that while everyone can agree it's a worthy project there always seems to be a more worthy project right ahead of it. The North Shore doesn't have the commuter density that the South Shore does which is why the Red Line Extension to Braintree and the Old Colony Lines Restoration won out. It's also a Catch 22 where the demand can't be there without the transit but there is not enough demand now to bring transit in. Finally, and probably the most realistic reason why nothing has happened, is that Lynn has always had a corruption issue and it's very possible that the powers that be would have liked to keep things the way they are OR the corruption scared state pols away from funding a transit line there. This is all just me speculating though.

Also why has no one excitedly put out a real proposal to turn suffolk downs into its own village, with 2 blue line stops! This is so prime for an awesome mixed use development at a low cost over so much land... if something is built here then people may able to finally have an affordable home and an easy commute around town... car free.

The Blue Line to Lynn has failed for a lot of reasons over the decades. I would love to know the real reasons but I have a feeling that while everyone can agree it's a worthy project there always seems to be a more worthy project right ahead of it. The North Shore doesn't have the commuter density that the South Shore does which is why the Red Line Extension to Braintree and the Old Colony Lines Restoration won out. It's also a Catch 22 where the demand can't be there without the transit but there is not enough demand now to bring transit in. Finally, and probably the most realistic reason why nothing has happened, is that Lynn has always had a corruption issue and it's very possible that the powers that be would have liked to keep things the way they are OR the corruption scared state pols away from funding a transit line there. This is all just me speculating though.

Lynn's advocacy hasn't been the well-oiled machine that Somerville's/STEP's has been for GLX. Simplest explanation: they're coming from a much more remedial place. It's a city that finished bottoming out, now has some bona fide growth prospects, but is still trying to learn the ropes on how to plan and execute. They're starting to get a vision of where they want to take things, but they're low on the learning curve at taking the "vision thing" from concepts to bona fide planning. And they haven't got a very deep political bench in town...certainly nothing like Somerville has had with 25 years of Mike Capuano, Dorothy Kelly Gay, and Joe Curatone making that Mayor's office a steppingstone to bids for higher office. The little missteps in coordination still upend Lynn's momentum from time to time.

It's a learning curve. Somerville in the 1980's had similar lack of coordination holding them back. Where Lynn has to prove itself is by moving up on the learning curve. Can they start to click like several of their post-industrial brethren of similar size in this state have started to click.

That's not going to be enough for BLX, of course. The structural dysfunction holding that back is much more a statewide problem. You can't even say anymore..."oh, it's a secondary project; we can't worry about that." We've had so many primary projects go unbuilt that the list is getting 10 miles long and single-tasking them (how's that working out?) in tortured fashion won't be enough to keep the region's economic growth from being stymied by its own mobility problems. It's nice that Seth Moulton has made that project (and Lynn redev in general) a rallying cry of his. But fact of the matter is even a US Rep can't compel the Legislature to reform the T's finances. You have to look at the Speaker-for-Life...whose district border is gerrymandered to include some of the ritziest Revere Beach Blvd. real estate up to about Wonderland. And the next in line for that Speaker's dynasty who's been groomed to make sure power stays consolidated such that the Speaker never has to give a flying fuck about anything (just as DeLeo was groomed by DiMasi was groomed by Finneran). Whether you think Baker's helping or hurting, structurally the office is what he is: a weak #3 on the pecking order for initiating change that sticks, and a job with a short 1 to 1-1/2 term shelf life before the occupant gets bored with having his wings clipped.

Same shit, different department. I'm not sure the impediments to getting this done are necessarily even transit-specific, just a reflection of the structural dead-end with one (or two) branches of state gov't that's pinching off the ability to tackle big problems, make big initiatives.

As for BLX itself...if you wanted to phase it a +1 to Oak Island would be a starting point. OI was a planned intermediate on all of the vintage BLX-Lynn proposals from the 1940's. Wonderland isn't on-alignment with the Eastern Route, so to even consider the two BLX routing alternatives (bolt-on to Eastern Route, or through Point of Pines...and the encroachment in Point of Pines) there has to be some straight-ahead extension on the BRB&L ROW before you can make the choose-your-adventure choice. I think they'd have a hard time swerving immediately across the marsh at Diamond Creek to get over Route 1A to the Eastern Route. The marsh is so low-lying you'd basically have to build a 2000 ft. long trestle on pegs to swap ROW's that quickly after Wonderland. I can't imagine that's going to be favored with how difficult an EIS it would be. So easiest path is for them to stay on the BRB&L for another 3/4 mile to Oak Island St. Then they can snake around the back of the Oak Island Park baseball field and cross 1A on the asphalt driveway next to Rent-a-Tool.

Which means, there would be an intermediate stop in the little parklet behind the Jack Satter House...about 200 ft. down the street from Kelly's Roast Beef. The Satter House's parking lot easement may have to go for the kiss-and-ride, but thanks to the power line ROW there's a 100 ft. wide easement preserved behind the building. You just have to make sure the neighbors don't raise a stink about the noise, but unlike Point of Pines there's no actual ROW encroachment here. And, as noted...you probably don't have a choice but to go behind the Satter House because of the EIS'ing issues around Diamond Creek.

Probably would be a semi-elevated station because of need for crossing Oak Island St. on an overpass, and need for building up a continuous embankment for the curve behind the ballpark that sets up the eventual Route 1A overpass. 411 bus stops right in front of the would-be station. You'd have a short length of tail tracks behind the station for continuing the mainline on either the Eastern Route hop-over or through Point of Pines. Wonderland's tail tracks (like Oak Grove's on Orange) are seldom used because of proximity to the main yard at Orient Heights, so you'd only need 2-3 trainsets worth of space back there.

Sell that as a down payment on the full extension, or a Phase I you can open early while the much more invasive work north of there churns on for years longer. There's certainly enough demand at OI, since the density cavity south of Revere St. to Wonderland and Wonderland's craptacular car-centricity makes the current end of the line relatively daunting for pedestrians to reach from Oak Island.

The North Shore doesn't have the commuter density that the South Shore does which is why the Red Line Extension to Braintree and the Old Colony Lines Restoration won out.

Demographically, the North Shore actually has more population centers than the South. Outside of Quincy and Braintree, the population gets pretty thin pretty quickly as you move down towards Plymouth. On the other hand, the North Shore has population density from Revere, through Lynn and Saugus, onto Salem, and all the way up to Gloucester. You're right though Quincy is huge, and I think you're right that that city's size has a lot to do with why there's a RL extension and not a BL extension. Beyond that though, I have to imagine F-Line's right about advocacy being the real separator.

I would support the idea that it is advocacy differences as well. For example I just checked the driving distance to the Braintree stop on the red line versus the driving distance to downtown Salem and found that Salem is only 3 miles further away from downtown when driving. The commuter rail does get to Braintree faster because of having less stops and speed restrictions but the Red Line takes about the same amount of time as the commuter rail to Salem so from a transit time perspective they are even pretty similar. Based on this I would think it would make sense to extend the Blue line all the way to Salem.

Also here is a density map and the key.

iVzRVkQ.png

ZiHEYVz.png

Since we're talking about an extension that'd dump most of it's riders into Boston proper, it's not (at least not initially) about sheer density, but the density of commuters connected to Boston. That's why the South Shore Ext was necessary, probably moreso than Lynn at the time of project execution.

Quincy is about as quintessential a railroad town as there is thanks to the Old Colony. It's fortunes have always been tied to Boston. Despite the industry that exists down there, there's still a far, far, far more direct socio-economic connection between Boston and Quincy than between Boston and Lynn.

And that makes sense. The North Shore has significantly more heritage density than the former areas of the Plymouth Colony, modern-day Essex County was, from the 1626 to the industrial revolution, the cite of the majority of Massachusetts' cities. Just prior to the industrial revolution in 1820 (aka the immediately "Pre-Lowell Era"), the North Shore towns hugging the coast from Newburyport to Lynn accounted for about 55k or ~10% of Mass' population, Boston and it's surrounding towns had just over 60k (12%), while the South Shore towns in Norfolk and Plymouth Counties mustered between 30-40k depending upon how expansive you make. These are census stats, fwiw, they inlcude towns later annexed and include towns that have since become independent. It's not the most precise measure, but there's an important point there - the North Shore was always subject to far more economic pulls radiating out from it's early cities. Those pulls would only increase in strength and in number with industrialization of places like Lynn and the Merrimack River.

Quincy residents, as Van says, would've piled themselves into the Old Colony, which was for many years the railroad with one of the highest riderships oriented towards Boston. It very much guided the developed of Quincy as a town. Lynn, in contrast, also had close railroad connections, but also sat at the center of it's own commuting catchment area serviced by the Eastern Mass/Bay State system, the Eastern, and the Narrow Gauge which, as it didn't traffic in freight, operated at near-rapid transit levels of service and all-but-built the town of Revere. Come deindustrialization and the collapse of the railroads, Lynn's traditional catchment area was primed to be stripped off from the urban economy by Route 128 industries, which were initially - and are to this day, as I'm sure Westie will remind us - located primarily in the arc from Waltham to Burlington. Quincy was not a 128 town, the South Shore developed mostly as bedroom-suburbia with it's residents partially connected to the old industrial centers, but also substantial by former Bostonians decamping for that wholesome lawn-chilling, kid-raising atmosphere. But it was still connected to Boston, without the OC these commuter were driving in over the Southeast Ex which was the most congested road entering Boston (excl the CA) by 1970. Lynn didn't have the same highway connections, so in losing it's economic pull, the transition from former urban center to a satellite of Boston was less assured. That's what I'd say laid the foundation for the South Shore Branch: closer connection of residents to Boston, congestion-relief opportunities, greater immediate need, rather than sheer density.

And it's all of that that I think makes Blue-Lynn interesting insofar as there's really high ceiling for success. Lynn, like the other old industrial stalwarts of Cambridge, Boston, Lawrence, and Lowell has grown only marginally since 1900 (granted, that's a linear statistic - it's been very up and down, for sure). Quincy was 35% of the size of Lynn in 1900, now it's slightly larger. Other former industrial towns switched up and caught a lot of the people fleeing places like Boston with suburban development - places like Brockton and Framingham and Waltham - all of which are more than twice their size 100 years ago, despite being industrial centers and subject to similar economic decline as Lynn. As Boston and Cambridge go their shit back together they basically scooped the detritus of Lynn's old catchment areas and re-centered the travel patterns on the urban core in the past 25 years. But Lynn is still there, is still substantial, but is almost bizarrely unconnected to the economic forces around it.

The number of jobs in Lynn has declined 25% in the last 25 years (about 8k in real value), which is greater loss than any city around Boston, the next steepest decline in Lowell comes in at about a loss of 4000. Meanwhile the nearby Everetts, Maldens, Peabodys, and Beverlys of the area had been registering steady gains over the same period. Lynn is still only marginally connected to Boston - we're talking roughly 16% of it's workforce that commutes to either Boston or Cambridge daily, compared to over 40% for town like Quincy and 30-50% for towns like Revere, Medford, Everett, Malden. So the increasing sway of Boston seems to just be bypassing Lynn - the daytime workforce that Lynn has managed to keep still draws in greater proportion than any town in metro Boston (excl: Boston and Cambridge) upon Lynn-resident workers. Roughly 50% of the jobs are filled by people living in Lynn, 50% are filled by people living outside the town. For comparison, 78% of Cambridge's daytime workforce originates outside the city, 61% for Lowell, 83% for Malden - not all represent economic pulls of course, but they do indicate that there's some cross-boundary movement, which Lynn should, in theory, see far more off than it does in practice. There are three types of towns in Mass that have such meagre economic pulls - very bedroom-y suburbs (think Scituate), isolated areas (think Nantucket), and the hulks of former industrial centers (Lynn is most comparable to New Bedford, Fall River, and Pittsfield in this regard - expect all of those areas are farther removed from the economic engine of Boston).

So the upshot for something like Blue-Lynn is that, there's this substantial city lying just up the way that is shedding it's job base and it's residents are slowly turning to Boston as a place of employment, but it still lags far behind nearby areas. And that's the pitfall too as I see it, I can't really think of another example of major former industrial town being linked up to the rapid transit system since the early 1900s (with the maybe exception of Everett and Malden) - and even then, places like Cambridge, Roxbury, Charlestown, and Dorchester had already become enmeshed with Boston's economy. I don't think it's a deal-breaker at all (in contrast, I think it's a reason to do it), but it is something to consider going forward.

Don't forget, Lynn is a MAJOR bus terminal handling all North Shore routes. 11 of the 400-series routes terminate there. It's crippled as a terminal because those routes all have to get distended to Wonderland or sent down Route 1A to Haymarket to hit a rapid transit transfer. It makes the schedules unmanageably long, which harms headways across a whole quadrant of inside-128 towns that the density map a few posts up puts in stark relief. And it makes balancing equipment assignments from Lynn garage a losing proposition because so much of the equipment has to outright exit Lynn garage's orbit to hit a rapid transit transfer. Which does an even worse hatchet job on frequencies. The crippled load-balancing also means that many would-be routes that would serve adequate demand simply don't exist at all. Very nearby, appropriately dense, and transit-ideal towns like Marblehead, Swampscott, Salem, Saugus, Peabody, and Nahant are forced into their cars by this. North Shore ends up with a higher car dependency and a lower transit share than nearly every other slice of the inside-128 district...and economically it's not because these are bedroom communities voluntarily passing it up. North Shore has the hardest car commute of anyone into town. Shoreline towns like Marblehead, Nahant, and eastern finger of Swampscott having it worst of all because their only routes into town pool onto very constrained thoroughfares. There's genuine transit dependency, even among the rich residents in town, where bus-to-Lynn is the hands-down fastest trip. But the bus can't run nearly often enough or with acceptable enough OTP because of the distended siphon to rapid transit.

Compare to Quincy. It's a self-sustaining node where routes truly terminate at the terminal and overturn at ground zero for the equipment supply. The 200-series South Shore routes have generally good frequencies and OTP, and the system map shows a very geographically well-distributed route network fanning out of Quincy Center. Can it be improved? Sure...the whole bus network could be improved if it stopped being the ugly stepchild of the MBTA. But just by eyeballing the system map and doing a compare/contrast between Quincy terminal and Lynn terminal you can see a stark difference between a healthy and relatively well-functioning node vs. a sickly and extremely distorted node. Geographical distribution is polar opposite, and the amount of route duplication sticking to some of the transit-unfriendliest state highways points to how many corners the 400-series routes have to cut to keep their overstressed schedule margins barely functional.

This is a problem that's been festering for 60 years, ever since the Maverick and Lynn streetcar nodes were bustituted for the Blue extension. Those twin terminals for diverging routes connected by a quasi "mainline" got severed in the middle by the Blue extension knocking out the Maverick terminal. That wasn't an intentional crippling; getting to Lynn as Phase III of the 1952 & 1954 extensions was what would've enabled the route recalibration and consolidation at Lynn terminal that made the change in local modes work properly. It's been broken ever since. The brokenness was hidden from view for a few decades there by Lynn's industrial crash, but last 10 years the exact problem they anticipated when the extension got cut short at Wonderland is now manifesting itself with a vengeance.

The Indigo Line was never going to change this. Chelsea's a node for the hundred-teens series routes. Indigo would've been a nice boon for walkup crowds, but it does nothing to help anyone transferring for the last-mile trip on a 400-series bus. Orientation of those routes is still on the former Lynn-Maverick pipeline, and Lynn is just as deprived of schedule load-balancing as before.

The only way to fix this is by finishing the job that got abandoned in the 50's. It would completely remake the North Shore's transit share, and completely remake the bus distribution to serve a more geographically balanced set of routes. Even for the richy-rich folks with beachfront property. I don't think this aspect of it gets played up nearly enough. It's not just a downtown Lynn rejuvenation project...the whole damn North Shore--Lynn, Salem, Saugus, Swampscott, Marblehead, Nahant, Peabody, eastern Danvers, southern Beverly, eastern Wakefield, northern Revere Beach--gets transformed.

Maybe this would actually have some better advocacy if the higher income brackets that say "I live in Marblehead and GOD YES would I happily ride the bus instead of watching my commute die on Route 129 if only it could get to Blue often enough" got a little more play in this. Might be a little unfair to the poorer residents of Lynn to frame it that way, but it would accurately reflect how inclusive the extension's constituency is. Unfortunately, the Yellow Line is the forever red-headed stepchild so the T wouldn't want to do the follow-through move of rejuvenating the 400-series routes to finish the job. The fact that building the extension at all more or less obligates them to make an investment in the North Shore bus network, and feel the pressure of advocacy on that follow-through, probably explains a lot of their zeal to keep the project buried and out of public conversation. They know damn well that the spin about Indigo somehow being a substitute was BS. And they can always be seduced by the TOD fairy to make a lot of noise about a big project when there's lots of developer money to court with pork. But the other shoe dropping with an immediate and likely region-wide bus advocacy if they commit to BLX? That prospect they treat like it's opening Pandora's Box. Even when in the real world it helps their farebox recovery enormously.

I think something has to change with the icky-poo attitudes and institutional contempt towards the yellow bus before internal forces stop treating cresting BLX demand and the North Shore's transit inequity like a shameful secret to be repressed.

Re: State Agrees to Design Link between Red and Blue lines

Great, now all that's left to do to the blue line is send it across the river to Kendall, Inman, Harvard, Mt. Auburn and on through Watertown and Waltham. It could even keep its color designation since it would follow the River! O yah, and extend it north to Salem. I would guess at a 3190 date for the completion of those projects, just around the corner! :lol:

That would be an odd route. Those buildings at Inman are protected and way to short to spur that kind of investment. Inman would need to be upzoned way more stories. There's some highrise developments in Cambridge along the Charles that have a higher populations and I bet Harvard might even kick in some $$$$ to have it pass through Barry's Corner in Allston before going out towards Watertown.

I skimmed a bit, but did anyone mention how Revere has been quietly opposed to a Blue line extension? Understandably opposed since they would suffer all the disruption, possible land takings with no benefits. With Revere's opposition it will not happen.

I used to be a Blue line extension supporter, but it would take a massive multi-billion dollar development to provide "the juice" to push it through.

Much better to focus on the prospects for higher frequency DMU service between Salem, Lynn and Boston along the existing line and perhaps a station upgrade/rehab for downtown Lynn.

I skimmed a bit, but did anyone mention how Revere has been quietly opposed to a Blue line extension? Understandably opposed since they would suffer all the disruption, possible land takings with no benefits. With Revere's opposition it will not happen.

I used to be a Blue line extension supporter, but it would take a massive multi-billion dollar development to provide "the juice" to push it through.

Much better to focus on the prospects for higher frequency DMU service between Salem, Lynn and Boston along the existing line and perhaps a station upgrade/rehab for downtown Lynn.

Revere hasn't opposed BLX. They have opposed the Point of Pines routing because some very rich high-rise developers who flagrantly encroached on the ROW would be inconvenienced.

Also...did you even read that whole spiel explaining why DMU ≠ BLX substitute? :rolleyes:

Revere hasn't opposed BLX. They have opposed the Point of Pines routing because some very rich high-rise developers who flagrantly encroached on the ROW would be inconvenienced.

Also...did you even read that whole spiel explaining why DMU ≠ BLX substitute? :rolleyes:

DMU /Indigo isn't a complete substitute, but it would be better to have more frequent service all the way up to Salem. And there is no real talk of BLX all the way up to Salem so there is some offsetting benefit to going with Indigo.

As much as people are focused on the Boston commute, Salem is an important city for Lynn to be connected to with more frequent transit in the future almost as much as Boston.

As for Revere... I don't think you can brush off the impact on a few hundred Revere residents of BLX along the old ROW. Yes, it is unfortunate it has been encroached on and built on, but it is pretty clear that Revere allowed it to be encroached upon purposefully to try and block that routing of BLX to Lynn. You have essentially the largest structures being built so that it would necessitate bigger takings and litigation to go that way. It is a minefield, purposefully laid.

Revere officials aren't going to come out publicly in opposition, they can just passively block it as they have been for the last several decades. It will never get high on the project list because of this.

I advocated for the route through the wetlands (labeled as Diamond Creek on Google Maps) over to the commuter rail under/over rt 1A precisely because I thought it might limit neighborhood and political opposition, but it would still be somewhat disruptive to build an overpass on Rt 1A so that a train could go either under or over the road

And that would limit neighborhood opposition somewhat to a dozen or so direct abutters. But even just the Rt 1A work will be seen as a negative in Revere and who knows what connections people have in those neighborhoods. It matters.

And the environmental wetlands stuff would take some serious political backing to overcome. Backing which the project does not have in Revere.

BLX is a non-starter because of opposition from Revere not because of Lynn. It would take some serious horse trading of the likes that Lynn couldn't muster even if you add in some support from the surrounding communities and even Salem.

Like I said, you would need a multi-billion dollar development or ten billion dollar development to bring enough to the table to push BLX through. Basically a city within a city sized project.

You keep saying that, but you haven't shown it to be true.

I've been told that there is opposition in Revere to BLX with conversations with public officials over the past ten years or so. I don't know what it would take to overcome it, but there is definitely opposition.

I've been told that there is opposition in Revere to BLX with conversations with public officials over the past ten years or so. I don't know what it would take to overcome it, but there is definitely opposition.

Attribution, please?

OK, so you're trolling again. Good to know.:rolleyes:

Not trolling. Trying to have an adult conversation, but responding to childish accusations with appropriate contempt.

You can't build BLX unless you understand that Revere will continue to block unless you can somehow minimize the impact and do some political horse trading. Your suggested route is a non starter and has been a non starter for decades. It looks good on paper, until you see what has been built along and on the ROW, and there will be significant opposition because it would actually negatively effect hundreds of people who live in houses and apartments that were built. Blue line all the way up through that defunct ROW is a neighborhood buster of the type Massachusetts just doesn't do anymore since the 1950s and 1960s.

As far as stating the obvious, I am stating the obvious because the thread was focusing on the obvious transportation needs of Lynn and points North without understanding the history of this and the role Revere plays.

At a 1 or 2 Billion price tag, plus $200 million or more for Revere horse trade projects it is going to need about ten Billion in realisticly projected redevelopment in the immediate area over 20 to 30 years to justify that expense. It won't be justified by existing needs, not that it isn't justified by existing needs, but we just don't have the economy to support that kind of investment without a 20 or 30 year ROI.

Not trolling. Trying to have an adult conversation, but responding to childish accusations with appropriate contempt.

You can't build BLX unless you understand that Revere will continue to block unless you can somehow minimize the impact and do some political horse trading. Your suggested route is a non starter and has been a non starter for decades. It looks good on paper, until you see what has been built along and on the ROW, and there will be significant opposition because it would actually negatively effect hundreds of people who live in houses and apartments that were built. Blue line all the way up through that defunct ROW is a neighborhood buster of the type Massachusetts just doesn't do anymore since the 1950s and 1960s.

As far as stating the obvious, I am stating the obvious because the thread was focusing on the obvious transportation needs of Lynn and points North without understanding the history of this and the role Revere plays.

At a 1 or 2 Billion price tag, plus $200 million or more for Revere horse trade projects it is going to need about ten Billion in realisticly projected redevelopment in the immediate area over 20 to 30 years to justify that expense. It won't be justified by existing needs, not that it isn't justified by existing needs, but we just don't have the economy to support that kind of investment without a 20 or 30 year ROI.

You refuse to say who in Revere is making such strident objections. If it's as pervasive as you say, then it's documented a whole lot more widely than your own personal private conversations you may have had with somebody in town. Point out some news mentions and stop being coy. It was only months ago that Seth Moulton made his big stump speech about advocating for this. Revere would've had a rebuttal to recent news if it's that big a "non-starter".

And, sorry bud, but you have an established rep on AB of going into passive-aggressive TROLLOLLOL mode pushing unsupported contrarian nonsense on repeat for your own idle boredom. You made your bones in the B24 thread with that, and I'm hardly the only one who's called you out on it. So forgive the skepticism in asking for some source of independent corroboration.:rolleyes:

Whenever I think of the Blue Line Extension I always picture the route that doesn't go through Point of Pines by default, and I assume that most others do as well because of the noted ROW issues. I don't see there being project-stalling opposition from just Oak Island, so I too am confused why there would be Revere specific opposition stopping this project. At most I can picture someone in a back room somewhere who is already invested against the project holding up hypothetical or negligible community opposition as an excuse not to do the project.

The reason why the Blue Line extension hasn't yet happened is the same story of every other transit project in Massachusetts, lack of funds and support from the state government.

Back