Boston 2020 Olympics

I'm so confused as to the names I've seen thrown around in a few threads in here.

Who the HELL are the Cannons?! I thought the lacrosse team was the Blazers!

I believe the Cannons are the outdoor lacrosse team and the Blazers are the indoor lacrosse team.

2000AD: Blazers > Cannons
2010AD: Cannons > Blazers
I don't know why.

Note quite:

Boston Cannons : Major League lacrosse
Boston Blazers: National lacross league (indoor)
Boston Breakers: Womens Pro Soccer

Yes, it's "turrible" if you want to keep a landmark but Fenway is already a century old. It's pretty outdated and WILL at one point needs to be replaced.

Already a century old? Please. 100 years is nothing. The Verona Arena is almost 2,000 years old (built in 30ad) and still in active use.

IMG_0088.jpg

There are many in stadiums older than fenway all around the world used for professional sports. Just because the NFL feels that 9 years is old, doesnt mean its true

Note quite:

Boston Cannons : Major League lacrosse
Boston Blazers: National lacross league (indoor)
Boston Breakers: Womens Pro Soccer

Already a century old? Please. 100 years is nothing. The Verona Arena is almost 2,000 years old (built in 30ad) and still in active use.

There are many in stadiums older than fenway all around the world used for professional sports. Just because the NFL feels that 9 years is old, doesnt mean its true

In fact, most of the older stadiums (greater than 100 years) actually are better suited for alternative events because the acoustics are better. Why? Because they tend to have been built using classical dimensions and not the historifaux shit that's being built today.

Cannons are outdoor lacrosse, and outdoor lacrosse is a thousand times better than indoor. It's the next big American sport, trust. Watching the World Cup, I just can't wait for the day that lacrosse is a global phenomenon.

And yeah, old stadiums are fine. Glad that's settled.

Cannons are outdoor lacrosse, and outdoor lacrosse is a thousand times better than indoor. It's the next big American sport, trust. Watching the World Cup, I just can't wait for the day that lacrosse is a global phenomenon.

Don't get your hopes up on that one. Lacrosse will grow, but it will never crack the top 4 of American sports and it will never come close to the massive appeal soccer has around the world.

Yes, it's "turrible" if you want to keep a landmark but Fenway is already a century old. It's pretty outdated and WILL at one point needs to be replaced.

Yeah, I totally agree. It's a good thing they don't bother to renovate any of those old buildings and bridges in Europe. They are just so yesterday and decrepit. Completely charmless.

Yeah, I totally agree. It's a good thing they don't bother to renovate any of those old buildings and bridges in Europe. They are just so yesterday and decrepit. Completely charmless.

Next time you decide to be sarcastic, you should use something more comparable and relatable. A modern stadium is not comparable to old buildings and bridges, in usage, structural design, etc. Also, when you're trying to be sarcastic, don't include something that is not part of the discussion (i.e. old buildings and bridges of Europe. I'm talking about a sports stadium, not the bridges that span the river Seine or historical churches).

First off, I never said Fenway was to be demolish, or never renovated for future uses in other forms. Second, how many of those old stadiums are replaced by modern stadiums for its former usage? Third, how many of those stadiums are being used for major sports venue (and I mean major, a large capacity of at least 40,000) with a modernized scoreboard, modernized cooling and heating system, bathroom, gates, amenities, etc etc? Fourth, how many of those old stadium can provide luxury boxes that provide extra revenue for the teams that occupy it?

Harvard Stadium is a far cry from modern or luxurious but I've never heard many (usually pampered and demanding) Harvard alums whine about it. They would never dream of something with so much tradition being replaced by the equivalent of a Gillette monstrosity.

The real reason there are always proposals to upgrade or renovate these stadia is so owners can justify charging ever more for seats.

There is no park or stadium around the world (alright, in the nation) that can compare to the tradition of something like Fenway or Harvard Stadium. Nor is there any modern amenity that can't be added if it were in the interests of the owners to do as such.

Pfft, get real. Curling is the next best thing, and a real man's man sport.

Don't get your hopes up on that one. Lacrosse will grow, but it will never crack the top 4 of American sports and it will never come close to the massive appeal soccer has around the world.

Alright, so it won't ever have global appeal like soccer. But why don't you think it will ever crack the Big 4? I'd say that it will take baseball's place in 50-100 years.

Alright, so it won't ever have global appeal like soccer. But why don't you think it will ever crack the Big 4? I'd say that it will take baseball's place in 50-100 years.

Really? Baseball? You don't think Hockey will be the first to get "bumped" from the Big 4?

I think Baseball is number 2 (some could argue it's basketball right now since we're in the heat of the finals where the hometown team is playing) after NFL football. I could see Lacrosse possibly getting close to the NHL's popularity levels in the U.S. (I'm still thinking more like Major League Soccer), but not baseball. No way.

First off, I never said Fenway was to be demolish, or never renovated for future uses in other forms. Second, how many of those old stadiums are replaced by modern stadiums for its former usage? Third, how many of those stadiums are being used for major sports venue (and I mean major, a large capacity of at least 40,000) with a modernized scoreboard, modernized cooling and heating system, bathroom, gates, amenities, etc etc? Fourth, how many of those old stadium can provide luxury boxes that provide extra revenue for the teams that occupy it?

and yet, Fenway succeeds on all those points. And by the way, I purposefully avoided stadia for comparison because I wanted something of fundamental value. The Charles bridge in Prague is not just a bridge, but culturally important. Fenway is not just a stadium.

Really? Baseball? You don't think Hockey will be the first to get "bumped" from the Big 4?

I think Baseball is number 2 (some could argue it's basketball right now since we're in the heat of the finals where the hometown team is playing) after NFL football. I could see Lacrosse possibly getting close to the NHL's popularity levels in the U.S. (I'm still thinking more like Major League Soccer), but not baseball. No way.

Check which event has the highest attendance and television ratings:

2009 Frozen Four: 18,512 (one championship game)
2009 College World Series: 64,876 (over three games, average 21,625)
2009 Lacrosse Championship Weekend: 102,601 (over three days, average 34,200, championship game 41,935)

I'd say that these numbers are indicative of future trends in sport; considering today's college fans will be the core of fans in the next few generations. A greater number of young people like lacrosse better.

2009 Lacrosse Championship Weekend: 102,601 (over three days, average 34,200, championship game 41,935)

I'd say that these numbers are indicative of future trends in sport; considering today's college fans will be the core of fans in the next few generations. A greater number of young people like lacrosse better.

Not a relevant comparison. The Frozen Four is played in an indoor arena. It was filled to capacity. The Lacross finals were played in a football stadium. It was not filled to capacity. By your logic one could argue that MLS is more popular than the NBA.

Lacrosse is the sport played by those who are not good enough to play baseball. No sport in the world has the global appeal of soccer, hence why it is the most popular far and away. Anyone can play soccer and all the need is a ball. It can be made out of almost anything.

Lacrosse is flat out boring. It will grow, but it will never crack the top 4.

You do realize the college world series is not played in an MLB stadium and the max attendance is 25,500 right?

Also, look where the lacrosse final fours have been held, the northeast. Also notice that pretty much all teams that make the final four are from the same region. Play the lacrosse game out in California with teams from Syracuse, Johns Hopkins, Duke and UMass and see how many people they draw.

Lacrosse is boring? Compared to baseball? Are you kidding?!

So hockey attendance was a poor comparison - but you can be assured, if the CWS had the demand to fill a 40,000 seat stadium, they'd play it in one. They play the Final Four in football stadiums and attendance is typically well above 75,000.

Lacrosse is growing - especially out west. Denver has one of the hottest lacrosse scenes right now, and California high school teams are increasingly competitive. Even here in Missouri, kids who have grown up baseball fans are being exposed to lacrosse and becoming instant converts. The expansion of the sport is perhaps best highlighted by the fact that Notre Dame - a relatively young program - lost by one goal in overtime to Duke, a far more prestigious program, in the championship.

50 years. MLL will be bigger than the MLS, and college athletics will finally have a spring sport that the rest of the country wants to watch.

Back