Boston 2020 Olympics

Still had to be translated for international broadcasts.

ablarc, what are you getting at?

If you can tell us how the deliberately ambiguous phrase "most exceptional" was translated into other languages for international broadcast (as well as French, the other official language of the Games), then by all means, go ahead and educate us.

That, or you can go on making cryptic non-sequiturs....

Abark HEARING words "le pLus sans classes' in Presdent of Samarkand speach of Altanta

? SUMMER OLYMPICS AND ABOLISH MBTA - The Senate last week rejected several amendments including creating a special commission to study the feasibility of Massachusetts bidding for a future summer Olympics and abolishing several quasi-public state authorities including the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), Massachusetts Turnpike Authority and Massachusetts Water Resources Authority.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/allston/...-votes-to-limit-salaries-at-state-authorities

Re: Boston 2020

*lurks through first few and last couple of pages*

Sorry Bubbybu for the pessimism but after seeing how the T is unable to extend the blue line and the green line for many years, I doubt 8 years will be enough to do so.

Perhaps the Olympics would have been just the thing needed to push through necessary projects? Who knows, had this gone through, and with plans to be hosted on the Seaport, the Silver Line may have ended up being a branch of the Green Line instead of a bus. Perhaps we'd be putting in those new orders of Orange and Red Line cars, too. And amping up the number of Type 9 Green line cars we are about to purchase. Not to mention... filling in of potholes! Or better yet, complete road resurfacings.

Throw money at upgrades, show off your city, and make the money back (or most of it (eventually (hopefully))).

Next best thing?

Boston.com
Menino, Kraft talk up World Cup hosting bid
June 11, 2010 12:43 PM

By Martin Finucane, Globe Staff, and Sydney Lupkin, Globe Correspondent

The Boston area wants to host the World Cup again. That's the message Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino and New England Revolution owner Robert Kraft sent today at a news conference at Boston City Hall.

Boston is one of 18 US cities that are part of the United States bid to host the beloved international soccer championship in 2018 or 2022.

Menino today declared "National USA Bid and World Cup Day" in the city.

The area hosted games at Foxboro Stadium in 1994, said mayor's spokesman Christopher Loh. The successor to Foxboro Stadium, Gillette Stadium, home of Kraft's New England Patriots football team and the Revolution, would be the site of the games.

Kraft is on the committee bidding to host the event. "Since 1994, America has embraced the 'other football,'" he said. "You know I'm going to lobby as much as I can."

Loh says Bostonians have until Dec. 2 to go to gousabid.com to show their passion and commitment for hosting the game. According to the website, nearly 13,000 people have already signed a petition to bring the games to Boston. People can also text "boston bid" to 22442 to show their support, Loh said.

Meanwhile, avid soccer fans are likely to be glued to their TVs today, watching the opening match of this year's World Cup, a game between South Africa and Mexico.

For a day I'd be sad Gillette wasn't in the city.

Hopefully the world would get to see aerial panoramas of Boston anyway.

That's what I would expect - aerial panoramas of the city, games at Gillette. Damn shame they can't build a temporary stadium (a la London) and downsize it afterwards.

Perhaps this would lead to increased rail service to Foxboro?

That's what I would expect - aerial panoramas of the city, games at Gillette. Damn shame they can't build a temporary stadium (a la London) and downsize it afterwards.

You mean wrapped up with a permanent home for the Rev? That's an interesting idea.

That's exactly what I mean. And even better, would be a joint Revolution/Cannons stadium.

New Fenway stadium? What would be awesome is if they build a stadium for secondary sports or start up league sports.

Why on Earth would we want to build a new Fenway? Didn't everyone basically decide that was a "turrible" (in the words of Charles Barkeley) idea?

And yes, that's what I meant. The most prominent secondary sports that could support a stadium are the MLS Revolution and MLL Cannons.

Why on Earth would we want to build a new Fenway? Didn't everyone basically decide that was a "turrible" (in the words of Charles Barkeley) idea?

And yes, that's what I meant. The most prominent secondary sports that could support a stadium are the MLS Revolution and MLL Cannons.

Yes, it's "turrible" if you want to keep a landmark but Fenway is already a century old. It's pretty outdated and WILL at one point needs to be replaced.

Or we can keep renovating it, you know, that works too.

Not at all. Renovation is just piecewise reconstruction. Eventually, the stadium will be new. Except, it will be remarkably the same as what stood one hundred years ago, because structural elements were added and replaced as time went on.

We've got plenty of buildings older than Fenway Park that are still in very active use every day. The State House and Faneuil Hall, to name two.

Back