Boston 2020 Olympics

Re: Boston 2020

I havent read anything about DC being interested

Neither was Chicago, at first. But the USOC changed the way it did business and recommended they make a bid, after the NYC 2012 run was such a fiasco.

Given the weak list of interested US cities, I wouldn't be surprised if they do this again.

Good for Rio and the country of Brazil. They deserve it the most, not Chicago.

"Boston Seaport Olympic Games 2020"

"Boston Seaport Olympic Games 2020"

Plenty of room to build a beautiful Olympic Village and I imagine the convention center could be adapted to host various events. Boston is already a major tourist city and has an abundance of hotels. I don't know why this is so unrealistic.

^^One word. Infrastructure. Look at the DNC and the problems that created. Another is security. With Thomas M Menino, he will complain that the city of Boston will be paying for other people's enjoyment.

all cities have these issues...that's why they give you 8 years to prepare for the games fellas....

yikes...why so negative about everything on here? show some perspective before constantly trashing your city so flippantly...

Can you define infrastructure and specify what Boston is lacking that prohibits it from hosting the games?

Personally, I think that if Menino is still mayor he would push very hard for the games. He is a man very concerned with legacy and power, and though his idea of what will be seen as a good legacy or a bad legacy may be at odds with the feelings of many on this forum, I think he would be thrilled to be the Mayor who brought the Olympics to Boston.

Sorry Bubbybu for the pessimism but after seeing how the T is unable to extend the blue line and the green line for many years, I doubt 8 years will be enough to do so.

Infrastructure is a bigger problem than security. The federal govt can pay for security at a US Olympic games, but the city and state (and corporate sponsors) have to pick up the tab for everything else.

Can you define infrastructure and specify what Boston is lacking that prohibits it from hosting the games?

Personally, I think that if Menino is still mayor he would push very hard for the games. He is a man very concerned with legacy and power, and though his idea of what will be seen as a good legacy or a bad legacy may be at odds with the feelings of many on this forum, I think he would be thrilled to be the Mayor who brought the Olympics to Boston.

- Mainly the T and here are the deficiencies. It's old and decrepit which means constant breakdowns and whether it will be entirely fixed by 2020 remains to be seen.
- The T shuts down at 12:45 am. Trust me, if the Olympic is here, there will still be a lot of activity past this time.
- During rush hours, the subway lines (aside from the blue line) can barely handle the amount of riders already. Add delays and voila, congestion paradise. Lack of parallel tracks and express rails really limits the travel time and capacity.
- Lack of money. Seeing how Boston wouldn't even sponsor the Tall Ship, I doubt they would have the money to pay for security for the Olympics/new sports venue.
- Some money is better spent on fixing our bridges. The Charlestown Bridge was one of the bridge listed as one that needs attention for collapsing yet we aren't do anything about it.
- NIMBYs. If NIMBYs are complaining about a performance on the Greenway, they will never let the Olympics come.

- For all it's faults, the T is one of the best city rail systems in the US.
- The T closing too early is really a reason not to bring the Olympics to Boston? This isn't fixable? It's one thing to be pessimistic, but you're just looking for reasons here.
- This is true virtually everywhere.
- As mentioned, cost would not be solely on the city, but on the Federal and State governments, and also on very large and powerful corporate sponsors.
- Yes, the bridge should be fixed. Certainly not a reason not to go for the Olympics.
- Why is it up to NIMBY's to "let" the Olympics come?

- The T closing too early is really a reason not to bring the Olympics to Boston? This isn't fixable? It's one thing to be pessimistic, but you're just looking for reasons here.

From what I understand, no. The T is a single track system. They need to shut it down to do required maintenance at night. They could reopen Night Owl service during the Olympics though, I suppose.

KentXie, I don't understand your pessimism with regards to Boston infrastructure. The T is one of the most comprehensive mass transit systems in any American city (probably only bettered by New York and, perhaps, Chicago).

^^ The DC Metro seems clearly superior.

Plus, comprehensiveness isn't the real problem - it's total lack of reliability. The constant breakdowns are absolutely unacceptable.

Anyway, I'm hoping for Tokyo in 2020. They got a sweet ass new subway line (Fukutoshin-sen) for their 2016 campaign, which I've heard was basically a set up for their serious bid in 2020. But I honestly don't know anything about the Olympics, nor could I care less.

KentXie, I don't understand your pessimism with regards to Boston infrastructure. The T is one of the most comprehensive mass transit systems in any American city (probably only bettered by New York and, perhaps, Chicago).

And which American city are in the bid for the Olympics or have the caliber to pull for the Olympics nowadays. That's right, Chicago, NYC, etc. You can't deny that the MBTA's is in a sadder state than them or are you saying that Boston's antique subway with it's constant breakdown is better than those of NYC, Chicago, London, Tokyo, etc.

- For all it's faults, the T is one of the best city rail systems in the US.
- This is true virtually everywhere.
- As mentioned, cost would not be solely on the city, but on the Federal and State governments, and also on very large and powerful corporate sponsors.
- Yes, the bridge should be fixed. Certainly not a reason not to go for the Olympics.
- Why is it up to NIMBY's to "let" the Olympics come?

I'm not saying we shouldn't go for it. I'm just saying there are much better candidates than Boston and here are some of the reasons why.

From what I understand, no. The T is a single track system. They need to shut it down to do required maintenance at night. They could reopen Night Owl service during the Olympics though, I suppose.

All subway systems except for New York's are double track systems, New York did it because it was one of the few cities in the world to have private subways, and what an amazing result that brought!

A stadium?

Having the olympics be in foxboro would put Boston at the top of the worst olympics list ever.

who would ever think Foxboro should be used? you pretty much have to build a new olympic stadium to get picked and who would ever suggest Foxboro? you'd have to be braindead to do such a thing....

Maybe I missed a previous post on here but what made you bring that up?

Considering nearly all recent hosts did not have a stadium built at the time of their initial selection....

Back