Boston 2020 Olympics

Re: Boston 2020

who would ever think Foxboro should be used? you pretty much have to build a new olympic stadium to get picked and who would ever suggest Foxboro? you'd have to be braindead to do such a thing....

Maybe I missed a previous post on here but what made you bring that up?

Considering nearly all recent hosts did not have a stadium built at the time of their initial selection....

this is why they should have built the pats stadium at the waterfront.

We could get some MIT students to build one on top of the dome

who would ever think Foxboro should be used? you pretty much have to build a new olympic stadium to get picked and who would ever suggest Foxboro? you'd have to be braindead to do such a thing....

Maybe I missed a previous post on here but what made you bring that up?

Considering nearly all recent hosts did not have a stadium built at the time of their initial selection....

Rio is using Maracana, which was used in the 1950 WC, will be used again in 2014 and 2016.

New isnt necessary.

Where in Boston would you build a new 60,000+ stadium, and who would use it? Would the pats want to move back into the city? Maracana is used by 4 teams year round.

With the exception of Beijing, all recent candidate and selected cities have had a team that would use the new stadium when finished, or had an existing stadium.

As for the T...while some of you say thats a reason Boston should NOT host one, I disagree. Hosting means promising big investment. Beijing built an entire subway system. If Boston wants a chance of hosting, theyd have to promise major upgrades, and thats a good thing. Thats why I think the stadium is a much bigger problem.

Remember, Boston is TINY compared to the other cities in terms of area.

KentXie said:
And which American city are in the bid for the Olympics or have the caliber to pull for the Olympics nowadays. That's right, Chicago, NYC, etc. You can't deny that the MBTA's is in a sadder state than them or are you saying that Boston's antique subway with it's constant breakdown is better than those of NYC, Chicago, London, Tokyo, etc.

How could Atlanta and Los Angeles host the Olympics with their gridlock traffic and nonexistent transit systems?? Also, having ridden both extensively, I think that the T is equal to, if not better than, Chicago's L. New York and DC beat us, but that's not a bad showing at all. Internationally, our transit infrastructure beats out Sydney and Athens, which both recently hosted the games.

The truth is that with the completed Big Dig, 8 years, federal and corporate monies, this city could be very well prepared for the extra traffic.

jass said:
A stadium?

There is plenty of space for a new stadium/village in the Brickbottom/North Point and South Bay industrial wastelands...direct access to 93, transit on orange, red, or purple lines. Put eminent domain to good use! I would love a stadium at Marine Industrial Park or Castle Island, but I guess a working seaport is important to keep.

The Patriots will be ready to move out of Gillette by then, and the Revolution can take any smaller stadium that's built.

There is plenty of space for a new stadium/village in the Brickbottom/North Point and South Bay industrial wastelands...direct access to 93, transit on orange, red, or purple lines. Put eminent domain to good use! I would love a stadium at Marine Industrial Park or Castle Island, but I guess a working seaport is important to keep.

The Patriots will be ready to move out of Gillette by then, and the Revolution can take any smaller stadium that's built.

The revs are hopping to be in brickbottom by 2020 in a 20,000 seat stadium

How could Atlanta and Los Angeles host the Olympics with their gridlock traffic and nonexistent transit systems?? Also, having ridden both extensively, I think that the T is equal to, if not better than, Chicago's L. New York and DC beat us, but that's not a bad showing at all. Internationally, our transit infrastructure beats out Sydney and Athens, which both recently hosted the games.

Atlanta's shuttle bus system was considered a joke, though. Buses actually got lost in the Georgia countryside while transporting athletes to events. Subsequent choices all required substantial improvements to rail transit. For most cities, this has meant adding a line here or there. Could Boston pull even this off? The Silver Line and Green Line extension don't provide compelling precedents - and you can bet the USOC and IOC would consider that kind of historical lag time. In fact, I could not wait for a lost and confused USOC or IOC evaluator to ask where the Silver Line trains were.

(Athens, BTW, only ever got the game for sentimental reasons. In '84, the only two bid cities were LA and a crumbling NY, so there weren't many hurdles for the LA bid to overcome.)

The biggest problem with the Boston bid may not be infrastructure as much as narrative - why this city? What is Boston's symbolic pitch? (Someone, at the time, would have to answer the question of "why the US?" as well)

Hmm...at least this concept is pretty:

196357_p858wZdz2US1gWgdEugTK3CCX.jpg

196357_nU9SKATTTRmZR2oHBKYOzsOf1.jpg

196357_hHEfD_Vtk074RXokJTdgaXtgU.jpg

http://www.coroflot.com/public/indi...357&set_id=207969&specialty=11&sort_by=1&c=1&

It really is a terrific logo...our eventual committee should use it....

nice pics also....

Reminds me of the Salem State logo that I guess is supposed to be both a bird and a ship.

SSC-vlogo_black_150x190.gif

Logo's not bad. Love that the Back Bay image is missing The Clarendon.

and the Olympic torch....

it's very classy

unlike that monstrosity of a logo they have for London 2012....YIKES

london2012.jpg

or

london2012_logo.jpg

ja....too bad London is about as punk now as A Prairie Home Companion...

Their new stadium is also quite the snoozer....

Why not an Olympic stadium in the seaport?

It would cost more than the Big Dig, take as long to build, and probably have the same unforseen consequences of design.

In terms of stadium, Boston could always follow London's lead and build a stadium that is designed to be partially (currently the plan in london) or fully dismantled (initial plan) after the olympics are over.

As far as interested north american cities, I've heard [in addition to Boston of course] Toronto, Detroit, Minneapolis, Denver, and Birmingham [as well as some strange mexican cities].

None of those 4 US cities hold a candle to boston in terms of marketability [what on earth would your marketing pitch for Birmingham be?] and none are as feasible as Boston [unless your idea of public transportation is highways, in which case, you need to go back to school]. And also, Boston stands out from typical america cities, its one of the most unique cities in America, where as Denver and Minneapolis could easily be confused for Oklahoma City and Dallas.

Detroit is out of the picture for obvious reasons...

And then Boston versus Toronto is less of a city v city thing and more of an America v. Canada thing. Advantage. Boston.

So I think its not a question as to whether we can win, its a question as to whether we [boston] want to win.

Definitely Boston will beat out all the American City, but I wouldn't say Boston will singlehandedly beat out Toronto, considering that Toronto made it to the top 5 in the 2008 Olympic. While we may think of it as an America v Canada thing, the other people in the world don't. Toronto is an alpha city, the NYC of Canada, whereas Boston is a beta city. If Boston is committed to doing this, they will have a lot more work cut out for them and they need to start now in order to catch up. But hey it's possible, if we get a government that is determined and not so corrupt.

Back