Boston 2020 Olympics

The "warmer, larger coast city - small interior mountain ski resort" precedent was carried through with Sochi 2014 as well. The city proper is at sea level and so mild it has palm trees!

The Winter Olympics have twice been in tiny Lake Placid, NY.

But will likely never go to a town that small ever again (at least not without a major metro region co-hosting). The Winter games have become a high tech, expensive, and flashy sports festival that now requires an enormous investment in new venues, media centers, and trasnportation hubs. I remember Lake Placid when I was a kid. There were so few hotel rooms in the region, visitors were boarding with local families. The speed skating oval at Lake Placid was built in the town's public high school parking lot. Modern Games require hotels, media facilities and super high tech venues. As long as the Winter games remain what they've become -- more urban (Nagano, Salt Lake Torino, Vancouver) -- it's unlikely a small hamlet-in-the-hills will be the host.

Found another promo graphic:

4310460590_6318d26811_o.jpg

And another:

boston.jpg

Variation on the sail theme:

ID1_wood_LB.jpg

The USOC says it's not going to bid for the 2020 Olympics after the failure in 2016, so we can call this dream (which almost all of us shit on initially anyway) dead.

Any link? I tried googling it and I found nothing of any plans of not bidding after the past two failures.

We can has Pan Am Games then? Or maybe a World's Fair?

I feel like only an event of such magnitude would be enough to attract quality architectural legacies that can survive the NIMBY pile-on (the Eiffel Tower did, back in the 1880s, when it was fiercely opposed and only allowed to stand on a "temporary" basis).

Could they build the Olympic Village in one of the suburban towns (like Foxboro, Natick, or Dover) ? And Boston could bid on a 2024 or 2028 olympics and just because the USOC says it's not going to bid dosent mean anything right now because it's only 2010 and the winner will be announced in 2013 so only time will tell.

Why would you want the Olympic Village in the suburbs?

That's why many buildings in the city are tall.

PS, welcome to the forum.

o ya I forgot about that and thanks,,

I obv. don't have great knowledge on the IOC's rules and the olympics in general but could Boston and Providence joint bid for the olympics or could they just use the name New England and build the Olympic Stadium in Boston. By 2020 there will be a new commuter rail in the Fall River- New Bedford area and could have easier travel if they would hold the sailing competitons in Narragansett Bay. I bring up Providence because then they can have a better chance of having the sailing events at Narragansett Bay. I don't know how that works tho.

The IOC doesn't allow joint city hosts anymore. It would have to just be one host city. The events can occur up to hundreds of miles away, but if Boston hosts, the Olympic Village would be in Boston.

The IOC doesn't allow joint city hosts anymore. It would have to just be one host city. The events can occur up to hundreds of miles away, but if Boston hosts, the Olympic Village would be in Boston.

Vancouver has two olympic villages. One, right off downtown, in an area that looked like our south boston waterfront looks like today. The other is 2 hours away near the mountain.

Google maps has a good deal of information and streetview imagery of the vancouver olympics

Back