Boston 2024

Why would you reference something without providing a link?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...ew-olympics/owBo8n6R9rs21ZduqyeKPM/story.html

I have to admit, I searched to see if he published anything similar in any other paper and could not find one. It does seem strange he chose to speak to Boston directly over the other cities.

It could be due to the stronger opposition coming from Boston vs the other candidate cities. Which could push the USOC in another direction anyways.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...ew-olympics/owBo8n6R9rs21ZduqyeKPM/story.html

I have to admit, I searched to see if he published anything similar in any other paper and could not find one. It does seem strange he chose to speak to Boston directly over the other cities.

It could be due to the stronger opposition coming from Boston vs the other candidate cities. Which could push the USOC in another direction anyways.

I've said this before, but we're hours away from the decision and it bears saying again: I don't think the opposition has had any impact on the USOC's decision-making. Any city they pick will end up with a lot of opposition. It's worth noting that in addition to the derision from people like Wilbur and Shaughnessy and whoever this person in the NYT is, there's been a lot of positive and thoughtful coverage in Boston that hasn't happened in, say, LA. LA, SF, and DC have all basically had the one "hey, this is happening, and it would be kind of cool" article in their local paper, and perhaps one "the IOC is corrupt and this would be a money pit" response, and that's it. The SF media didn't even notice this was happening until a month ago.

If you can get past the snarky and embarrassing (to themselves) tone people like Wilbur have taken, all that has happened in Boston is that the real conversation has already started. It would assuredly start this evening in DC, LA, or SF should one of those cities be selected.

Boston may not be chosen for any number of reasons - the proposal might have been bad, the presentation might have been weak, Boston 2024 didn't network right, or the USOC simply wants the LA or SF stamp on this instead of ours. Eric Wilbur and his ilk would claim victory, but in reality they accomplished what they always will: absolutely nothing.

I hope we win, and I hope we get (some of) the transportation improvements the area needs and deserves. Yes I'm being selfish for wanting the Olympics more for the infrastructure improvements than the actual games, but I dont care.

Also, I think if Boston gets selected in 2017, people will really get behind it because it will be a bit of a pride thing, and Bostonians in general are very proud of their city and culture.

Get ready for a huge political distraction for the next two years (and then seven more after that if we win the global bid). I expect a state referendum will be held and our bid will be voided.

As for the bid itself; if we can do it in a cost-effective way then bring the games on!

Get ready for a huge political distraction for the next two years (and then seven more after that if we win the global bid). I expect a state referendum will be held and our bid will be voided.

As for the bid itself; if we can do it in a cost-effective way then bring the games on!

I doubt that a referendum will stop it, for a few reasons. First, we're 18 months away from the 2016 election, and that's not a lot of time to pull something like that together. You need an actual campaign operation with money for TV, print and radio ads to pull it off, and you're up against a group with national backing and a lot of private money and support.

Second, Boston 2024 has made it pretty clear that they consider their budget to be only $4.5 billion in private money. All public infrastructure spending is considered external - the Games will be served by projects already on the agenda for MassDOT and others. A referendum can only affect public money, so it would have to be worded in a very petty way (public money will not be spent on any project which could conceivably benefit Boston 2024). That touches projects a lot of pols are invested in already.

Third, referenda in Massachusetts can only make recommendations, not policy. A state government concerned about its reputation (especially if Charlie Baker endorses this project tonight - welcome to the job, Charlie!) is going to find ways around anything even if it passes. A referendum in Boston might be different, but Boston's infrastructure commitment isn't nearly as important as the State's.

Bottom line: it's tough to have a vote on whether a private non-profit can hold an event, and I think this ship has essentially sailed. At least until 2017, this is happening.

FWIW, I was pretty convinced up until 6:30 that it was going to LA. Pleasant surprise.

Before this evening I would have agreed with you, but if there was even a minimal chance of that happening, Boston would not have won the USOC's blessing.

I don't know what the USOC's internal polling showed or what kind of assurances Marty Walsh, John Fish and co. made, but it was enough to convince the USOC board that the embarrassment of a referendum voiding the bid was not a possibility.

I expect a state referendum will be held and our bid will be voided.

I'm firmly against this, and if there IS a vote, I think the majority of people (at least 51%) would vote against it. What then?

I'm firmly against this, and if there IS a vote, I think the majority of people (at least 51%) would vote against it. What then?

Nothing. The most the ballot question could do is deny State funds for Olympic projects, and no funds are being used that way. What would you cancel? South Station Expansion? Red/Blue? Those are your "Olympic" investments according to Boston 2024.

You can't hold a vote to approve or reject a private project (currently). That's what separates Boston from Oslo and even Denver. Oslo was a civic effort, and Denver was only possible with dedicated public funds.

A friend at Elkus just posted a celebratory and congratulatory statement to the EM team on Facebook for their hard work which lead to this success. I guess Elkus is part of the Boston2024 design team.

Nothing. The most the ballot question could do is deny State funds for Olympic projects, and no funds are being used that way. What would you cancel? South Station Expansion? Red/Blue? Those are your "Olympic" investments according to Boston 2024.

You can't hold a vote to approve or reject a private project (currently). That's what separates Boston from Oslo and even Denver. Oslo was a civic effort, and Denver was only possible with dedicated public funds.

No Olympics lane dedication, no dedicated public service ramp-up surrounding Olympics events, no special extra Olympics rail service. I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other little things that the city and the state does for any given large event - things that nobody really thinks about - all of which would be blocked by a referendum against spending on the Olympics.

And, yes, suddenly there's all sorts of legal questions as to whether Red-Blue or South Station Expansion can proceed under a no-funding-for-Olympics ban but frankly speaking if it's not one thing it's another in terms of legal challenges to transit spending so I'm not too terribly concerned over that aspect of it.

Just because the nominal promise is that no public money gets used on building a showpiece stadium doesn't mean that voting to bar public funding from being spent on this isn't going to be a very solid blow against the Olympics effort.

That having been said, I'm sure the Olympics supporters would be glad to bring such a referendum forward. After all, they can't possibly lose, right? Since you're so convinced that a referendum going against the Olympics is meaningless, the state will have either passed a meaningless referendum or have proven that there's a majority public desire for the Olympics. You win both ways, right?

No Olympics lane dedication, no dedicated public service ramp-up surrounding Olympics events, no special extra Olympics rail service. I'm sure there's a whole bunch of other little things that the city and the state does for any given large event - things that nobody really thinks about - all of which would be blocked by a referendum against spending on the Olympics.

Even if the elected officials allow those bans to go into effect, they don't stop the bid. It just makes traffic even more of a hell for those three weeks for everyone who voted for the ballot question.

That having been said, I'm sure the Olympics supporters would be glad to bring such a referendum forward. After all, they can't possibly lose, right? Since you're so convinced that a referendum going against the Olympics is meaningless, the state will have either passed a meaningless referendum or have proven that there's a majority public desire for the Olympics. You win both ways, right?

That's not a terrible summary, actually. I definitely think there's morale at stake in such an election, as well as the reputations of John Fish and whoever else takes responsibility for selling the Games to the public. That effort needs to start right now, and not just the Facebook posts they've been doing for months. The bid really should have been released a month ago, and it definitely should have been released last night. Every part of it needs to be turned into a website that presents relevant facts and figures in a way that everyone can comprehend. Then, we can start talking about open houses and town halls.

Also, if a team at Elkus has been involved for this whole time, they have some renderings. Let's see those, please.

In yesterday's NYT (B13) there's a page in which 4 "local" writers were invited to discuss their city's candidacy. Boston's writer was not a Bostonian--Catherine Seelye is the New England bureau chief for the The Times. Each of the other writers did a very creditable job of being a "booster" for their city (while being somewhat--and humorously--balanced) but Seelye was just downright mean. She basically says that Boston's bid is a joke (she said the proposal seemed to be written by The Onion) and while she makes a few good points ("Many wonder why it would take the Olympics to get those much-needed [transportation-related] improvements") she's definitely a downer and basically says that Boston is using its ludicrous bid to assuage a huge (and deserved) inferiority complex. I'm agnostic about whether Boston should get the Olympics, but it was so striking that Boston's contribution to this page was so derisive whereas everyone else was touting their city's strengths.
The LA bid's writer, Brooks Barnes, was equally derisive of Boston (his article starts "Have you been to Boston? It's boring." and ends "Finally: have you been to Boston?" but what do you expect from the LA advocate?

Sounds like that Catherine Seelye is a real "mover and shaker! :D

1/8/2014 - Boston picked to bid for Olympics

Boston 2024 just posted these highly generic renderings on Facebook. There's nothing that even links them to Boston. These renderings could be the bid for LA, SF, DC.

"Renderings released from this morning's press conference:"

10926395_817895938248125_3461656723406326266_n.jpg

10805634_817895941581458_2767269266928406192_n.jpg

10347563_817895934914792_6795814294306830418_n.jpg

10915253_817895931581459_3269122833610168087_n.jpg

Edit: Ok, I just noticed the Hancock & Pru are in the vaguely in the background in the 3rd render

Back