Boston 7th in Nightlife Nationwide?

BostonSkyGuy said:
bosdevelopment said:
Yeah I would define good as an evening in which a situation arose resulting in a solid opportunity to meet women and take them back to your place. At the very least make some contact with the opposite sex. It'not even so much about the crowds like NYC. Crowds are usually good because they increase the odds, but sometimes the women are prude. I think it's fair to assume though, that women in Boston on a whole are less prude than say, Portland Maine. If i could rank nightlife by city it would have to be by the general attitude of the women. Sex and the City has done a lot in getting guys laid in Manhattan and other parts of the country. At this point i'm rambling but what i'm saying is basically correct.

Haha. That made me laugh. I agree though, that's the object when you go out. Unless your prude or have a girlfriend/wife. Or...have a girlfriend/wife and are faithful or don't want to cheat on them or don't want to listen to them if you get caught. Right?... Right?

Or if you're just not into the whole sleeping with strangers and degrading women thing. Right?

bowesst said:
BostonSkyGuy said:
bosdevelopment said:
Yeah I would define good as an evening in which a situation arose resulting in a solid opportunity to meet women and take them back to your place. At the very least make some contact with the opposite sex. It'not even so much about the crowds like NYC. Crowds are usually good because they increase the odds, but sometimes the women are prude. I think it's fair to assume though, that women in Boston on a whole are less prude than say, Portland Maine. If i could rank nightlife by city it would have to be by the general attitude of the women. Sex and the City has done a lot in getting guys laid in Manhattan and other parts of the country. At this point i'm rambling but what i'm saying is basically correct.

Haha. That made me laugh. I agree though, that's the object when you go out. Unless your prude or have a girlfriend/wife. Or...have a girlfriend/wife and are faithful or don't want to cheat on them or don't want to listen to them if you get caught. Right?... Right?

Or if you're just not into the whole sleeping with strangers and degrading women thing. Right?

It's not degrading women if they're into it. The women on sex and the city are totally into it, and that's who most women emulate these days, regardless of how pathetic and sad that truly is.

Boston should stay open till 3 am and maybe add a few new(better) nightspots....and maybe a few more 24-hour restaurant

Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, but it strikes me that if someone were to open a 24 hour breakfast/diner type joint near some colleges and/or bars, they'd make a killing. I love breakfast food (and of course even moreso when drunk), and this town is painfully short on places that have full menus of the stuff, be it 2 am or 9 am.

kz1000ps said:
Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, but it strikes me that if someone were to open a 24 hour breakfast/diner type joint near some colleges and/or bars, they'd make a killing. I love breakfast food (and of course even moreso when drunk), and this town is painfully short on places that have full menus of the stuff, be it 2 am or 9 am.
No, I think you're right about it. I had better options in Rochester, NY than I do here, and not to knock Rochester, but that's just silly. I'd like to see one on Mass Ave across from the Christian Science Center or somewhere else nearby. The South Street Diner near South Station is pretty much the only one.

quadratdackel said:
kz1000ps said:
No, I think you're right about it. I had better options in Rochester, NY than I do here, and not to knock Rochester, but that's just silly. I'd like to see one on Mass Ave across from the Christian Science Center or somewhere else nearby. The South Street Diner near South Station is pretty much the only one.

There is one on Mass Ave. It's chinese. It's open all night. Basically right across from the christian science center. It's really aweful food, but it's open late and all night. I forget the name. I wanna say lei ling's.

The problem is these places need a license to stay open late (3 am).

If you really want to get food late there are options.

Allston- Redneck's open till three - Right down brighton ave you can go to the IHOP on soldier's field road which is open all night (and is a zoo until abouut 5 am)

Beacon Hill- Pizetta is open till 3 am, right on Cambridge street. Pretty decent pizza place.

North End- Several cafes are open. I've been to one and it was actually pretty good.

Fanueil Area- There's that pizza place/convenience store right there next to haymarket which is open all night. The pizza is really good if you can stand the fish stink of haymarket.

Northeastern- Little Stevey's is open until 3 i believe, but the pizza is probably the worst i've ever had in my life.

Chinatown- 4-5 restaurants open all night. the best part is the serving og "cold tea" aka BOOZE. Also you can go to the south street diner which has really aweful food, but they're open all night.

Basically what the city is really missing is an IHOP open all night in Kenmore square. That would quell most people's late night appetites, from Kenmore all teh way down to Boylston.

Also a Buzzy's or any other eatery over by MGH or into cambridge would go over real well. I'm sure people woud complain less if eateries like this were around

And let's not forget about NEWS, the over priced, pimped out eatery that's open 24 hours! It's right next to the South Street Diner.

ZenZen said:
And let's not forget about NEWS, the over priced, pimped out eatery that's open 24 hours! It's right next to the South Street Diner.

yeah that place sucks.

Bova's in the North End, a pastry place, is open all night.

Is there anything worthwhile open 24hrs in Cambridge?

Shaw's in Porter Square
Gourmet Express (formerly White Hen Pantry) in Porter Square

-The Intercontinental's restaurant...24hrs
-Tiger Lilly's is the place near the BSO/Christian Science

bosdevelopment wrote:
"Basically what the city is really missing is an IHOP open all night in Kenmore square. That would quell most people's late night appetites, from Kenmore all teh way down to Boylston.
Also a Buzzy's or any other eatery over by MGH or into cambridge would go over real well. I'm sure people woud complain less if eateries like this were around"

I liked the Bickfords or IHOP (I forget) in Kenmore Sq. Before I was of drinking age it was a good place to go late night.

The Buzzy's at Mass General was hands down the worst roast beef sandwich I've ever had. If you're looking for that stuff late night...go to Mikey's on 99 just over the bridge from Charlestown into Everett...it's open real late. If you don't want to or can't drive...take the blue line (what time does it stop?) to the Beachmont stop..."Beachmont Roast Beef" it's adjacent to the stop and right next to Suffolk Downs...real good, but I don't think it's open that late.

Buzzy's was rubbish, the fast-food equivalent of Night Train. It made Haven Bros. in Providence look like Tavern on the Green. I'll bet there were lay-offs at the Board of Health when Buzzy's finally closed.

In the early 90s, the Blue Diner in the Leather District was a good spot. My days of drunken late-night dining are over, so I don't know what's happening down there on Kneeland Street these days.

Nico -- Beachmont Roast Beef closes at midnight, but the equally good Pete's Super Beef (steps away from Revere Beach station) is open 'til 2am on weeknights, 3am on weekends.

Interestingly enough, I contemplated writing up a business plan for a late night eatery located near campuses that would have somewhat normal hours during the week, 24 hours Thursday - Sunday and 24 hour schedules with late night quiet time during finals week for nearby colleges.

Being a recent student, it'd have been nice to be able to go and grab something to eat at 4 am whilst cramming for finals or getting final papers written.

Perhaps I should try and put that back on my board o' dreams.

As others have said, I think a good nightlife would include places to drink, eat, hear live music or see some performance, and dance. Boston's nightlife is no worse than many places and is a heckuva lot better than most. You just have to get away from Daisy Buchanan's to find it.

I think one of the major problems we have when we compare our nightlife, is we compare ourselves to much bigger cities, like New York and Los Angeles and Chicago. While our city is much smaller, and if we really tried could probably get up there with the big guns, we aren't that big. If we look at cities our size and smaller, our city has such a donculous nightlife, its RI-donculous. But we are Boston, and we demand that although being underdogs, we can sure as hell beat the crap out of any New Yorker out there.

I believe that it's the options a city has that define how good their nightlife is. Boston has options. There's enough for the live music crowd, there's an OK club scene, the Pubs are fantastic (better here than any U.S. city i have ever visited), the window shopping is nice, and to top it off, there are some moderately shady areas, but I would say on the whole, Boston is pretty pedestrian friendly even at night. I feel safer walking around drunk after an evening here than i do even in Providence, RI (Baltimore, MD is also scary at night). The variety makes it obvious why Boston has good nightlife.

I took it for granted until i spent 2 years in and around Portland, ME. Portland's nightlife is awful in terms of variety. You can go to the "Old Port" which has a couple of pubs, some have DJ's (Cake, OPT, Liquid Blue, 51 Wharf), and some have terrible to moderately bad live music (Gritty McDuff's and Bulfeeney's). There are also places like the Asylum which host small concerts and events (i went to the Q-Ball there at Halloween this year) but there are no dance clubs, no places to see good music regularly, and everything closes a full hour earlier at 1am. I know Portland is a tiny city and it's a great little town (despite my using it as comparison), but the lack of options kills me.

Last year, for my girlfriend's birthday she wanted to get dressed up and go somewhere nice. Since we were visiting her family in Scarborough, ME, we had to go out in Portland. Well, there are some OK restaurants, but going out for drinks after dinner dressed in a sport coat and jeans, I automatically felt over-dressed for any venue. Experiences like this have made me miss Boston when I'm away. The beauty of this city is that there are plenty of options for whatever you feel like. There's something to the 50 something artsy crew, or the frat-boy college kid.

There is room for improvement. Most notably in my mind, i wish the trains ran even an hour later. I can't see how cutting off mass transit 1/2 hour or so before the bars close makes any sense...talk about encouraging people to drive drunk. I would also like to see some more late-night food staples; places like Via Via in Newport, RI and Golden Crust in Prov. stand out in my mind as favorites, but even a few IHOPs or Bickford's would be nice. Maybe an hour later for last call? In the end, Boston's a fun town and being away made me realize that i took it for granted. The people who say Boston "sucks" for nightlife obviously haven't been elsewhere or have not really explored their options here.

Back