Boston and SimCity 4

Patriots_1228

Reaction score
As you may or may not know, I enjoy playing Sc4 and making custom buildings for it. anyway, recently i have begun recreating Boston. I thought you all might be interested in seeing what I've done. I'll show my progress all the way from the BAT (The tool you use to model buildings for the game) to the actual game.

My current BAT is the prudential center.

The prudential complex consists of the Prudential Tower, 111 Huntington, 101 Huntington, the Hynes Convention Center, Sheraton Hotel, Mandarin Oriental, and three apartment buildings, all connected to a large mall at the base. The complex is about 26x18 tiles in the game. I have begun at the Hynes Convention Center, in the back right corner.
A term you will hear me use a lot during this is artistic license. These recreations will be about 95 percent accurate, with mostly every visible detail cept for a few, mostly on the roof.

Prudential1.jpg

here is my start.

Here is a list of all my ongoing projects:
-Triple Deckers: These are a set of triple deckers based off of a few in south boston.
-Prudential: Started Hynes Convention Center
-Boston W2W's: Making a small 3x2 block located right next to the Custom House tower.

In the game i have recreated the port area near fort independence and will soon start making south boston.

Nice work, glad you're posting progress here. I look forward to your updates.

In the real-life Prudential Center, the three apartment buildings are not (yet?) connected to the mall.

Awesome. I was always hoping to see more boston buildings in SC4.

^There are a bunch. Simtropolis.com has a ton, and so do some of the other sites. It's worth going to sc4devotion.com and checking out what Blahdy (who is also a member her, but doesn't post much) has been doing in his recreation of the entire big dig. his models look exactly like the real thing. Patriots1228 has done a bunch over at Simtrop too. just search his name and see what shows up.

With the accurate maps available, and all the buildings (even MBTA skins for the subway, commuter rail and buses in the game) you can rebuild boston in the game if you want.

Ron Newman: O. thanks for the info.

unterbau:as Lrfox said, you can find a lot of good ones on the STEX (simtropolis.com). I've done quite a few, although only a handful are good, scotty222 has made a couple, and then there is the hancock and city hall by some other guys. And there are some great big dig tunnels by Blahdy.

Lrfox: Thanks for the comments, and you shouldn't be linking people to some of that horrible shit i uploaded a year ago :p

prudential2.jpg

finished the front building thing of the Hynes.

And here are some pictures from the port area next to fort independence.
Newbannerday.jpg

progress.jpg

as you can see, its very tedious work. I will probably start the residential area next to that this week, on my new computer. Here are the triple deckers i made for it:
tripledecker3jh9.jpg

tripledecker4fz2.jpg

there are a couple different color variations.

Another Update
I have some pictures from more areas of the harbor, around Sumner Street Powerhouse, of the pru, and of the triple deckers in game. o, and...BEAT LA!
CP5.jpg

CP4.jpg

CP3.jpg

CP2.jpg

CP1.jpg

pru3.jpg

Nicely done, Patriots. I hope you don't mind, I'm going to post a picture of your 111 Huntington Model because it's my favorite (I'll obv. take it down if you don't like it or feel I'm stealing your thunder):

can be found by searching "patriots 1228" or "111 huntington" @ simtropolis.com

Blahdy, another member here, has been working on the Big Dig and Charles River Crossing Project at www.sc4devotion.com. He's about to release some RKG Ramps for the Big Dig. I'll post some of the pics from his threads at SC4devotion (same story Blahdy, I'll remove them if you want me to). These are 3D models he's creating for the game:

Oh, the sign going into the tunnel should actually read, "Go Red Sox!" since I've never seen it used for anything useful, ever.

no problem Lrfox, thanks for posting them. Blahdys Charles River Crossing Project looks incredible.

Speaking of the Zakim, i've started that building across the street from the garden.
c1hh3.jpg

did a bit of phototexturing on the front facade.

Did some work in Southie today:

SB7.jpg

Those dam type things
SB6.jpg

need to download a better parking lot. To the right would be fort independence, but i am not sure how i am going to do that since it is split in fourths by four different tiles.

SB5.jpg

Toughest part to make lol . A beach
SB4.jpg

The park along William J Day Boulevard.
SB3.jpg

Built two columns and 5 rows of homes so far, plus some of the waterfront.
SB2.jpg

SB1.jpg

not at the moment, although i will get some once i get a little further in. I also have one or two fictional cities on the map, but i will delete those once i get to those tiles.

federal1ii0.jpg

started one beacon street in boston, its 154 meters tall, 64x45, so pretty big yet quick n simple.'

and of course, the pru.
finished hynes, the base of the tower, and the plaza. now im making the tower facade.

pruz4.jpg

Last edited:
HEY!
how'd you get a triangular building on a non-rectangular lot?

well, you can download diagonal packs from Krio and Prepo at www.sc4devotion.com. If you model your own building, you just need to change the occupant size to 16x16 [one simcity tile] and then that will trick the game into thinking the building is one tile. the diagonal part will then overhang.

Back