Boston and SimCity 4

the site was down for a while. should be better now.
Beacon has been uploaded at www.simtropolis.com, just search "TG" "patriots" or "beacon".

pruroof.jpg

Started, keyword, started, worlds toughest roof junk. I had to hide the tower because the 1.7 million polygons were a headache and i can't work in wireframe. So far all ive done is make a few shapes and the spire, much is not textured yet including the yellow parts.

prufacade.jpg

This shows the depth. Im reluctant to make it deeper [thats what she said] because then the shadows will be, as we say here, wicked. There is one error in the gray lines but i will fix that. Im sure someone or multiple people will notice it. As you may have noticed, ive added Mental Ray and some materials. I need to add some color to the green though it looks too much like the grey. There was probably somthing else i wanted to say but hmm....

Fantastic work on the facade. It's amazing to see how your work has improved over the past few years.

Been a while...

Currently got back into this, working on making the streets roads of boston in simcity [painful work, its not exactly as easy to do boston as it was for those people who did new york :p]

I've also made a few models,
The Hancock Tower, which im busy trying to get into the game but i might need a friend to do it since its rather big [simcity buildings have to be scaled up 133% in order to look right, so the hancock tower is 300+ meters in my model]. The trees are really messed up in this image. The final version might look different cause i've had to change some stuff to get it to export correctly.
hcrig.jpg

The Hatch Shell, my model is fairly innacurate, more of an inspiration since it was hard to get some sources. I've got a live concert going on in the night renders though which is pretty cool.
nighthatch.jpg

Cask'n'Flagon, busy modeling it, haven't touched it in a while though. This building had to be changed a lot to work "normal" in simcity.
cask4.jpg

and also make that building on the corner of Tremont Street and West Street, although i don't have any pictures yet.

Your John Hancock model is damn near perfect -- bravo!

Now if only EA Games would reduce the price on the Mac version of Rush Hour... I refuse to pay double what PC users pay.

This game is my WoW. Every time I play it just sucks my life away. I... can't go back :(

^ I hear ya. I am kind of a Sim City addict, even though I haven't played it in a few years but I still check out simtropolis.com every now and then. I have been thinking about picking up a copy (not sure what happend to the old discs, and it was on another computer) but figure it wouldn't run very well on my laptop and it would be a pain to download all the add-ons again.

Nice work with the Hancock, Patriots1228!

I'm with you, Van. And it's too tiring and ultimately unrewarding to build rectangular buildings (why not triangular? Or circular?) on the restrictive grid (oh right, that's why)... and the many frustrations of work-arounds - how come I can't build a friggin road underneath a highway interchange? Diagonal bridges... fuhgittaboutit! Why do I have to disconnect streets from each other to get cars to drive on major thorougfares?? And then add into that the continuing need to watch budget and water pipes... yuch.

I downloaded Google Sketchup. I lay one huge rectangle as my 'ground', draw in streets to scale, and then use the Offset tool to carve hassle-free sidewalks. I then populate it with my own designs (via an incredibly intuitive interface) or pull them from the 3D Warehouse - including cars, buses, trolleys.

For anyone who downloads Sketchup, I suggest this download - gives a good impression of what can be done. Forget the fact that it looks eerily like the Seaport with its repetitive textures and boxy structures... blandness is optional. Fast and happier computers might want to try this.

Last edited:
Been a while...

Currently got back into this, working on making the streets roads of boston in simcity [painful work, its not exactly as easy to do boston as it was for those people who did new york :p]

It's been a while and sorry for necroposting but I just stumbled upon this pic on google search :)

Wow... patriots_1228, your modeling skills have substantially improved over the years and your Hancock Tower definitely shows! Keep it up, you should be proud.

Heh Thanks Blahdy, where have you been? Miss your work.

Haven't been able to render the hancock because i need 64 bit to handle it, but i still have the files on my computer incase i do switch to 64 bit with Windows 7. Been working mostly on New York stuff lately [as the user kryptowhite at ST] but i haven't had time to bat with school and football.

hey, i've made a little website now for my stuff and simcity in general as well as some other games..you can find it here:

www.tgcolumbia.com

in the marketplace section there are downloads for one beacon street, state street financial, 28 state street, among others...you might have to do a little searching...there are also a ton of new york buildings from the NYBT team which makes new york stuff, including 17 state street and 599 lexington avenue from me.

As for my boston stuff i'm working on, i'm hoping to start some new boston buildings this winter, i know i have that hancock file sitting around that i've wanted to render literally, forever.

Back