Boston College Master Plan

Boston College filed their Expanded Project Notification Form with the BRA for the replacement Plex:

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/cf2b6917-7dd6-4fe1-8c89-fdfd6ec52d04

For those not familiar with BC-jargon, "The Plex" is the nickname for the old fitness and rec center. So far I don't know if they will transfer the official Plex name of "William J. Flynn Student Recreation Complex" over to the new building. I've skimmed through the intro of the PNF and don't see an answer to that. Everyone on campus is just calling it "the new Plex" for now.

This goes where the old Edmunds Hall is. Initial stages of Edmunds demolition had commenced the last time I drove by (a week or two ago now).

That new dorm that Beeline has pics of above is pretty much done now (I still don't know if it's been named), and the converted apartment building at 2000 Comm Ave is nearing completion. My younger daughter will be in 2000 Comm next two semesters.

I highly doubt they will carry the name over solely for the fact that they would be giving up a $25m naming opportunity.

I assume for 2000 they blocked access to the balconies? Did they infill the pool?

I highly doubt they will carry the name over solely for the fact that they would be giving up a $25m naming opportunity.

I assume for 2000 they blocked access to the balconies? Did they infill the pool?

They did block the balconies. I don't know about the pool yet.

How many dorms in 2000? Between that and the new dorm is that still a net gain of beds after tearing down endmunds?

Why would they block the balconies? It was largely students living there under the previous owner.

To reduce opposition from neighbors to turning it into a dorm, which requires a zoning variance as dormitories are not an allowed use.

To reduce opposition from neighbors to turning it into a dorm, which requires a zoning variance as dormitories are not an allowed use.

Why does BC still have neighbors? I thought they pretty much owned everything around there. Just buy them out.

The museum/gallery for the former cardinal's residence, very well executed.

The new residence hall: too much massing, too much geometry, too much sprawl, too much dissonance. I suspect this would have been much better as two or three buildings that played off each other, rather the single package that tries too hard to avoid being something you might see on Leningradsky Ave.

The museum/gallery for the former cardinal's residence, very well executed.

Agreed

The new residence hall: too much massing, too much geometry, too much sprawl, too much dissonance.

Mostly agreed

I suspect this would have been much better as two or three buildings that played off each other, rather the single package that tries too hard to avoid being something you might see on Leningradsky Ave.

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.

The demo on Edmunds Hall seems to be moving at a snail's pace. Maybe since I'm never there during work hours I'm not seeing how many truckloads of interior debris are leaving; if I were seeing that, maybe I wouldn't think it's crawling along.

Like Walsh Hall grew some stones and a roof.

Agreed

Mostly agreed

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark.

The demo on Edmunds Hall seems to be moving at a snail's pace. Maybe since I'm never there during work hours I'm not seeing how many truckloads of interior debris are leaving; if I were seeing that, maybe I wouldn't think it's crawling along.

I don't know, but given the vintage of the building they may be doing abatement first and then full demo. That would explain the slow appearing start.

anyone ever question why a residence hall that is less than 40 years old is being demolished? Seems like a waste.

anyone ever question why a residence hall that is less than 40 years old is being demolished? Seems like a waste.

I feel that any building demolished before its 40th birthday is a waste by definition, at least from an environmental perspective.

In this case, every report I've heard is that it was an abysmally uncomfortable dorm, even by the standards of dorms of that era. Also, they wanted to reconfigure that part of campus with regards to sports / exercise facilities, and were a bit cramped on how to go about that given space constraints. Not impossibly cramped - they had options. Eliminating this dorm made the space available and got rid of a crappy dorm to boot. The environmentalist in me would prefer a massive upgrade, but, ..... I'm not a Jesuit.

play money for the education cartel/s. fun and games man. fun and games.
the architecture at this univerity, while not awe-inspiring, is cute nevertheless.

that thing on post#509, is spectacular.

West, so Edmunds was really built on the cheap? Dorm design of 30, 40, 50 years was certainly cookie-cutter, there surely must have been enough templates around to not screw up a floor plan.

The Globe mentions that BC is thinking of building a large residence hall on Lake St. I thought the NIMBY's on Lake St., which, IIRC, include Mr. Galvin, reached agreement with BC to minimize the number of undergraduates on the Lake St property.
_____

odurandina, the architect for most of the building in post #509 is long dead. The edifice was built by and for Cardinal O'Connell, about whom, the less said, the better.

Back