Boston College Master Plan

Ah yes, I remember when I was a young college tough. We used to get all hepped up on the pot and roam the dark streets looking for fair young maidens to ravage.

Oh wait, there was that Super Bowl riot....

Well if they built the dorm, at least there would be some bathrooms!

Update: The tower is starting to come down. They have removed 2 of the spires and the other 2 are underway. I will have some pic tomorrow. I keep forgeting my camera.

vanshnookenraggen said:
Ah yes, I remember when I was a young college tough. We used to get all hepped up on the pot and roam the dark streets looking for fair young maidens to ravage.

Oh wait, there was that Super Bowl riot....

with all due respect. (im serious) I completely agree with you, i remember those days too, only a year or two ago myself... but sometimes. SOMETIMES, comments like these make me wonder why you should have the authority to censor me. just a thought... im sure im wrong as usual.

The website with the master plan maps is up. Check it out.

Any one have pictures of the work on the building in the center of the Quad?

I'll take some tomorrow afternoon. I don't have my camera with me today.

BC gets $177m in development financing

MassDevelopment, the state's finance and development authority, announced today a $177 million financing package for Boston College.

The school will use proceeds from a tax-exempt bond to finance several construction projects and purchase 18 acres of land and buildings from the Archdiocese of Boston; the property is the archdiocese's former Brighton headquarters, Mass Development said.

Projects include the construction of three new academic buildings on BC's Chestnut Hill campus, Mass Development said.
(By Chris Reidy, Globe staff)

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2007/08/bc_gets_77m_in.html

Looks like some funds have been won.

Any update on the Gasson work?

still coming down slowly but surely. There is a porta-potty on the top of the tower lol.

The Globe said:
Neighbors stew while BC ponders

410wxo4.jpg

By Glenn Yoder, Globe Correspondent | August 26, 2007

For Brighton residents who live near Boston College, the waiting is the hardest part.

They've watched over the last three years as BC has purchased all 64 acres of land on the ridge of Brighton formerly occupied by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston. They've fretted over a possible increased student presence near their homes. And during community task force meetings, as a variety of suggested uses for the land -- from a baseball stadium to new dorms to a parking garage -- have been floated, they've wondered aloud: What exactly will become of the space?

"The big question is, what are they doing? That's what we need to know," said Lake Street resident Alessandro "Alex" Selvig, who is running for a Brighton City Council seat under a platform primarily geared at protecting his neighborhood from the college's possible expansion.

But no firm initiatives for the college's master plan have been announced, even after the Massachusetts Development Finance Agency, which underwrites projects seen as boosting the state's economic growth, granted the college a $177 million tax-exempt bond on Aug. 13. Part of the bond will go toward acquiring the final parcel from the church, 18 acres, for $65 million.

"The troubling part is that BC has yet to file one shred of paper identifying what they're going to do with the land," said Secretary of State William F. Galvin, a Lake Street resident for more than 25 years and a critic of the college's plans. "They're seeking government-backed funds when they're not even being forthcoming with what they're going to do."

The master plan is still being shaped, according to Boston College spokesman Jack Dunn, who predicted it will be ready for submittal to the Boston Redevelopment Authority before the end of the year.

"Before we submit the master plan, we will submit it to the task force and to the BRA. It's a public document that even the neighbors will see," Dunn said. "There will be no surprises. They'll have the full account of our plans."

Such proposals can take upward of a year to flesh out and no construction is imminent, BRA spokeswoman Jessica Shumaker said. As plans are developed, the BRA will continue to allow for community involvement in task force meetings about the project, she said.

"The community has had a lot of meetings and it seems they kind of feel like they've said to BC, 'Here are our official thoughts' but they haven't seen a new rendition from BC yet. That's the frustration they're expressing," Shumaker said.

"But the reason they haven't seen a revised plan is that BC is working on getting a new one and filing it. There will be many more opportunities for the community to weigh in and help shape the proposal," she said.

BC spokesman Dunn said the MassDevelopment bond will be used to fund renovations to a recreation complex and student center, as well as three academic buildings, all on the school's Chestnut Hill campus.

He said beyond the $65 million going toward the acquisition of the final parcel of church land, most of the rest will be used to pay off the college's debts. None of the bond will be used to fund construction in Brighton, he said.

But without a firm outline of the master plan, tensions continue to flare among the college's neighbors, who worry about worst-case scenarios.

"I'm not so much concerned about the bond issue in and of itself, what I'm concerned about is what the money's going to be used for," Selvig said. "And I don't support financing projects that are going to wipe out conservation land and essentially choke off the surrounding neighborhood."

Glenn Yoder can be reached at gyoder@globe.com.
? Copyright 2007 Globe Newspaper Company.

These people are insane. They would sooner rather see BC go out of business than have 1 building built on the Brighton land.

that are going to wipe out conservation land

we should make it a state park or a national forest.

Also, I have a few questions about the area, but they certainly don't warrant their own threads. I didn't know where to put them

Anyways, does anyone know whats being built on the land next to dunkin donuts on comm ave Across from st. Ignacius? I think it is 33 commonwealth ave. I think they are condo's, but i have not been able to find any renderings or websites.

Also, what are they doing to the vacant building in cleveland circle? Is anything new coming there?[/quote]

yup thats it. Thanks for the info. From what i can see, that is terrible....

Not fantastic, but not too bad considering its mixed-income... and will put some affordable units in Newton. My understanding is that they are renovating the building which is actually on Comm Ave. and building a new multi-story structure behind the current building... I think its replacing a house which had been back there and was vacant for a long time.

yeah actually i agree with you. That house was such an eyesore and this will look much better in person. Was than any Nimbys on this? I heard nothing of this project until construction started.

letters

As to BC, patience will pay off

September 2, 2007

The article regarding the long wait for Boston College's development plans for the newly acquired Archdiocese of Boston property called attention to frustrations felt by Lake Street abutters, Secretary of State William Galvin, and City Council candidate Alex Selvig. Both the secretary and Mr. Selvig will be directly impacted by whatever BC eventually develops on this property and therefore their views are most important in that context ("Neighbors stew while BC ponders," Aug. 26).

However, the wait thus far has been due largely to the dialogue that has taken place over the past year in which BC -- prior to filing a master plan -- has been showing the community what it would like to do on the property while listening to the community's concerns. Hopefully, those concerns will result in changes to the preliminary ideas presented so far that will help BC achieve its objectives while respecting the community's goals.

It remains to be seen how close they will come, but waiting a few more months to see BC "get it right," as Tom Keady (BC vice president of community affairs) stated at the last meeting, represents progress in terms of the neighborhood's ability to affect the outcome.

Task force members recall the last master plan filed by BC, which was preceded by months of negotiations, resulted in a much higher number of on-campus beds being created than what BC had originally planned.

Those units removed students from the neighborhood and placed BC in the top slot in Boston for percentage of students housed on campus.

Working with institutions can be an arduous task at times, but the community needs to recognize when it is making progress and be willing to stretch their patience if it means a better plan for all by doing so.

Jean Woods
Chairwoman, BC Community Task Force

Paul Berkeley
Cochairman
[/quote]

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/09/02/as_to_bc_patience_will_pay_off/

^^^^^^^^^

I'm gonna guess that Paul Berkeley is also the same Paul Berkeley who is president of the Allston Civic Association, the guy who is so critical of MIT's buildings and Harvard's plans for the Allston. He's fighting Harvard but he sends off a much more compromising message with BC's plans. Wonder what gives? Maybe he's a BC grad?

z-money said:
Not fantastic, but not too bad considering its mixed-income... and will put some affordable units in Newton. My understanding is that they are renovating the building which is actually on Comm Ave. and building a new multi-story structure behind the current building... I think its replacing a house which had been back there and was vacant for a long time.
ChestnutHill.jpg

Ideal spot for high density. Also ideal for high rise.

If not for NIMBYs, would BC have erected a high-rise dorm here?

(Tall and slender would have been nice.)

I can't see BC ever erecting a true highrise. Its "suburban" setting (mentioned prominently in more than one brochure) and low-midrise campus are important aspects of its brand.

If I were one of the locals, I'd be asking why BC doesn't replace the hideous temporary townhouses that litter its lower campus before embraking on any expansion. There's plenty of room for more (and more attractive) buildings there.

Back