Boston College Master Plan

Re: Boston College Master Plan debut

Salvucci's idea of extending the Green Line C branch to BC makes sense, though. The tracks already exist on Chestnut Hill Avenue and are used for non-revenue equipment moves.

Maybe the MBTA should focus on not having the bline take 60mins to reach gov center.

This could easily be achieved by eliminating a few stops and imploring BU (or BU jointly with BC) to run a free shuttle for its students. That way, BU students would be using an actual BU bus.

I don't think many of the (wealthier) residents along the C line would take kindly to increased ridership from BC students.

This could easily be achieved by eliminating a few stops and imploring BU (or BU jointly with BC) to run a free shuttle for its students. That way, BU students would be using an actual BU bus.

I don't think many of the (wealthier) residents along the C line would take kindly to increased ridership from BC students.

BU does have a shuttle. Its not as extensive as the MIT bus system, but they have two buses doing rounds.

Students arent the biggest problem. The endless parade of stoplights which ignroe the trolleys are the problem.

So why not remove most of the stoplights?

What could possibly go wrong?

I think the correct solution is to tie the light signal to the trains so they always get the green.

Except the MBTA didnt do that when Brookline redid Beacon Street, and I doubt theyre involved with the CAP project.

Another time saver would be to eliminate some left turn signals, either by banning left turns, or by making them "yield to trolley" turns.

Salvucci in his letter to the BRA neglects to mention that he lives across Lake St. from the former seminary, so he is not the most dispassionate commentator. Basically, his core argument is to leave the Seminary campus as is: no new buildings, no parking garages, no athletic fields.

He even wants to leave Shea Field (near the reservoir) as is, and basically force BC into building high-rises on the Chestnut Hill campus; in effect, he is arguing for urban density, and screw the neighbors in Chestnut Hill with their new view of the soaring towers.

His letter complains about traffic congestion in his neighborhood on a recent Saturday afternoon. I have to presume some of it was due to a BC basketball game. He fears gridlock if a playing field with 1,500 bleacher seats is built on the Seminary grounds. If BC home games are a main congestion factor in Brighton, then I'm surprised that he doesn't suggest that BC drop to D-III, like MIT. Solve that problem quick.

Fred must be close to 70. He should cut a deal with BC to buy his house, and then he can buy a grand condo with a view of the Zakim which he can enjoy in his dotage.

I hate the residents of this god dam city. I hope this eventually goes to the courts and BC wins, just like they did in newton.

City urges BC to seek other dorm options
Email|Print| Text size ? +
February 21, 2008 01:35 PM

By Peter Schworm, Globe staff

City officials are urging Boston College to find alternatives to its controversial plan to build dormitories on the former Archdiocese of Boston property, which many Brighton neighbors sharply oppose.

In a report released late Wednesday, the Boston Redevelopment Authority, which reviews and must approve college expansion plans, called on BC to study ways to restrict undergraduate housing to its main Chestnut Hill campus.

The recommendation is a "very clear signal that we have heard the message from the neighbors about the concerns they have, and we are insisting Boston College look at alternatives before we make any decisions," said authority spokesman Jessica Shumaker. "We feel at a minimum BC needs to address why they can?t meet their housing goals on their current campus, and expect a good faith effort from BC to show us other options."

Neighbors who live near Boston College have raised a range of objections to the college's expansion proposal in public meetings this winter, but are most resistant to BC's plan to house 500 undergraduates in dorms on 65 acres it acquired from the Archdiocese, the first dorms slated for the Brighton side of Commonwealth Avenue. Some neighbors also oppose plans to build dorms on Shea Field, which they say would mar the view of the nearby Chestnut Hill Reservoir.

Boston College spokesman Jack Dunn said today that the report is a standard part of the review process and the college would work to address the city's concerns. But he said the Chestnut Hill campus is already "exceedingly dense" and cannot handle 500 additional undergraduates. Building dorms on the Brighton property, he said, is the only way the college can add student housing.

Dunn said neighbors' complaints about the location of student housing, in light of long-standing demands to house more students on campus, amounted to "a question of NIMBYism."

"Everyone wants to see college students live on campus, unless they happen to live close to campus," Dunn said.

Dunn said the city's demand that BC find alternative expansion plans ran counter to Mayor Thomas M. Menino's push for colleges to build more dormitories in response to neighborhood complaints

"We were following the mayor's lead," Dunn said. "We feel confident this plan is in the best interest of the college and the community."

The Redevelopment Authority also urged the college to relocate the proposed site of a recreation center to potentially allow housing there. It also recommended nonresidential alternatives to the Shea field site.

The full development of the former archdiocese property, which the college calls the Brighton campus, would increase the traditional 120-acre campus by more than 50 percent. The Brighton campus would also include an athletic field house, a softball field, and a 500-space parking facility.

Alex Selvig, a Lake Street resident who lives near the Brighton campus, said he was pleased by the BRA review, which he described as rigorous and thorough.

"It's very encouraging and renews a lot of people's faith in the BRA process," he said. "Everything we were concerned about, those questions are being asked."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/02/city_urges_bc_t_2.html#

But Shirley Kressel says the BRA always sides with the universities. I'm so confused!

Does anyone remember the episode of the Simpsons where Springfield was overrun by bears?

The whole town protested that the city wasn't doing anything to combat the bear problem.
So naturally, the city sets up a Bear Patrol, with helicopters, vans, extra officers, ect.
The next month the city sends out the tax bill with a "Bear Tax" tacked on.
Of course the next day the same townspeople are out protesting the new fee.
As Mayor Quimby looks out his window at the protesters he turns to his adviser and asks, "Are those morons getting dumber or just louder?"

I imagine the folks at BC are wondering the same thing.

Tommy puts in his two cents worth.

Updated and expanded story from today's Globe:
City tells BC to revise its plan

New dorms opposed on Brighton land

By Peter Schworm, Globe Staff | February 22, 2008
City officials are urging Boston College to find alternatives to its controversial plan to build dormitories on the property formerly owned by the Catholic Archdiocese of Boston, putting the city squarely in opposition to a pivotal piece of the school's long-term vision.

In a review of the project released late Wednesday, the Boston Redevelopment Authority, which reviews and must approve college expansion plans in the city, called on BC to strongly consider restricting undergraduate housing to its main Chestnut Hill campus.

Mayor Thomas M. Menino said yesterday that BC should limit new dormitories to the traditional campus.

"I say to them, why can't they build the new dorms on the campus they already have?" he said. "We want to see more housing on the present campus."

Nearby residents said they would prefer that BC use the former archdiocesan property, which the college calls the Brighton campus, for academic and administrative use.

Those neighbors hailed the recommendation, but the college said Brighton is the only feasible location for the additional dorms that neighbors and city officials have urged them to build. College officials see the 65-acre Brighton property as an unprecedented opportunity to give a crowded urban campus badly needed space for new facilities as part of a $1.6 billion improvement campaign over the next decade.

The recommendation is a "very clear signal that we have heard the message from the neighbors about the concerns they have," said BRA spokeswoman Jessica Shumaker.

"We feel at a minimum BC needs to address why they can't meet their housing goals on their current campus, and [we] expect a good-faith effort from BC to show us other options," she said.

Shumaker stressed that the preliminary report, part of a long-term review of a master plan the college submitted in December, did not rule out dormitories on the Brighton campus.

Neighbors who live near BC have raised a range of objections to the college's expansion proposal in often tense and emotional public meetings this winter, chiefly the plan to house 500 undergraduates in dorms on 65 acres BC acquired from the archdiocese, in the first dorms slated for the Brighton side of Commonwealth Avenue. Some neighbors also oppose dorms on Shea Field, which they say is too close to the Chestnut Hill Reservoir.

Boston College spokesman Jack Dunn said the college would work to address the city's concerns. But he said the Chestnut Hill campus is already "exceedingly dense" and cannot handle 500 additional undergraduates. Building dorms on the Brighton property, he said, is the only way the college can add student housing.

Dunn said neighbors' complaints about the location of student housing, in light of longstanding demands to house more students on campus, amounted to "a question of NIMBYism." NIMBY is the acronym for "not in my backyard."

"Everyone wants to see college students live on campus, unless they happen to live close to campus," Dunn said.

BC reached an agreement with church leaders last spring to purchase the 18 remaining acres of the property for $65 million, the most recent of several purchases by BC in the past few years.

Dunn said developers had eyed the land for luxury condominiums or a shopping mall. The city's demand that BC find alternative expansion plans runs counter to Menino's request that colleges build more dormitories, Dunn said.

"We were following the mayor's lead," he said. "We feel confident this plan is in the best interest of the college and the community."

Menino said that his push for student housing predated the university's expansion into Brighton and that he prefers not to see dormitories in such close proximity to the Brighton neighborhood.

Alex Selvig, who lives beside the archdiocesan property on Lake Street, said he was pleased by the BRA review, which he described as rigorous and thorough.

"It's very encouraging and renews a lot of people's faith in the BRA process," he said. "Everything we were concerned about, those questions are being asked."

Residents have long called for students to be housed on campus as a way to buffer the neighborhood from unruly behavior, Selvig said. Building dorms beside the neighborhood defeats the purpose, he said.

"Taking that misbehavior and putting it right beside the neighbors doesn't address the issue," he said.

Tim Schofield, a member of the community task force advising the BRA, said the housing recommendation was a clear signal that city officials heard neighbors' contention that Boston College has sufficient room on its main campus for additional student housing.

"Boston College has said there are no alternatives," he said. "But we have always felt that's just not the case. It simply does not jibe with the facts."

The Redevelopment Authority also urged the college to consider relocating a proposed recreation center to potentially allow housing on that site and recommended nonresidential alternatives to the Shea Field site.

The full development of the former archdiocesan property would increase the 120-acre campus by more than 50 percent. The Brighton campus would also include an athletic field house, a baseball field, and a 500-space parking facility.
From BC's draft IMP:
New U/G dorms interior of Brighton campus: +300 beds
New U/G dorms Comm Ave Brighton: +200 beds
New U/G dorms: More Hall (original site of the law school): +420 beds
New U/G dorms: Shea Field (SE corner of the campus): +490 beds

Because of demolition of two current dorm complexes with nearly 1,000 beds, the net gain in U/G beds is 610.

The IMP also proposes having graduate residence halls in the center of the Brighton campus, as well as residence halls for students attending the school of theology. It is not clear whether the city and the neighbors object to these dorms as well.

BC may be able to mollify concerns by shifting the U/G dorms sited for the center of the Brighton campus out to Comm Ave across from the cemetery, where the students can wake the dead. As for the Shea field site. the dorms would go on the north side of the current field, and hardly obstruct the viewlines of the Chestnut Hillers.

I'm not sure how the boundaries of Newton and Boston bisect the BC campus and whether Menino wants to push the undergraduates onto the Newton side.

Last edited:

Don't BC students already live in that Brighton neighborhood? Wouldn't this just be getting some of them out of Brighton apartments and little closer to BC's campus?

BC is not a "crowded urban campus." That would be BU or Northeastern.

It is a poorly laid out suburban campus. It is time they remove the pods and build a proper residential quad. It sounds like the city recognizes this--it will be interesting to see if BC catches wind.

I believe the IMP calls for the removal of them ^.

Don't BC students already live in that Brighton neighborhood? Wouldn't this just be getting some of them out of Brighton apartments and little closer to BC's campus?

Come on man that makes sense. these are NIMBYs we are talking about!

Apparently Nimbys don't like being called Nimbys.

Backyards of BC's neighbors

March 1, 2008

I WAS surprised to read, in the article "City tells BC to revise its plan" (City & Region, Feb. 22), that Boston College spokesman Jack Dunn accuses the Brighton neighbors of so-called NIMBY-ism for opposing BC's plan to build dorms on the Brighton campus. NIMBY is an acronym for "not in my backyard." Dunn has it backward. For years, the Brighton neighborhood has lived with BC students "IMBY," and know only too well what that means - rowdiness, trash, and disrespect for private property. By building dorms abutting the Lake Street and Commonwealth Avenue neighborhoods, BC would be asking us not only to have students in our backyards but in our side yards, our front yards, and practically in our living rooms. For Dunn to use the pejorative "NIMBYism" to describe the Brighton neighborhood's legitimate concerns undermines the community's good-faith efforts to work cooperatively with Boston College.

MICHELINA TAWA
Brighton

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/e...2008/03/01/backyards_of_bcs_neighbors?mode=PF

^^PSST! Hey Michelina,

Those rowdy, trash-spewing, and disrespecting of private property students already live in your neighborhood.
This will just keep them closer to campus, thus being rowdy, trash-spewing and disrespecting on their own campus, as opposed to in your neighborhood.
How is this difficult to understand?

Having a great deal of experience with how college students act, I take just as much offense to Michelina's sweeping generalizations as she takes to the term NIMBY. On top of which, she proves herself wrong as she explains that she indeed does not want BC or its students in her backyard. If she didn't want dirty urban streets, she really ought to move to Weston, or perhaps Lenox.

College students do not leave dirt or destroy property, people do, and cities have large numbers of people. BC has been an integral part of Brighton for many, many years. To dismiss its students, your neighbors, as inconsiderate delinquents you want to be rid of speaks volumes about how interested you and your friends truly are in reaching a workable compromise.

It's interesting to me to see how BC's position is slowly changing from "we're happy to compromise" to "we've beaten Newton in court and we will beat you too."

I've been to the community meetings and taken the neighbors to task over their rejection of everything BC is proposing. They still annoy me.

As a sidebar, I heart Jack Dunn. Nicest guy I've ever met.

BC should compromise with the City ? it could be on the threshold of greatness ? or at least goodness

With its plan for $, new land and new buildings -- BC has an opportunity to move into the local elite Research University cadre. They can join BU and NEU as being legitimate research campuses. However, to do so they must uses their limited resources judiciously.

In particular, they should increase the density in the old campus, get rid of the modular housing and house all of their undergrads on the main campus. The new campus ? just like Harvard?s new development should be designed and constructed as an evolving academic village with research labs, technology incubator space, and condos for junior faculty and post docs and graduate student dorms on the Brighton Campus

The NIMBYs will have their bounded undergraduate ghetto and the new research facilities along with pleasant near-by housing for the faculty and research staff will make BC a desirable destination. It needs to offer some incentives if it is to compete for top talent against the BU, NEU ? let alone against the Big Two.

The other thing that BC should do is to improve their T-connectivity to the rest of Boston. Given the topography and geometry the opportunity exists to connect the old and new campus taking advantage of both the B and C lines ? perhaps Fred Salvuci has had a good idea for a change.

Westy

If she didn't want dirty urban streets, she really ought to move to Weston, or perhaps Lenox.

I could not agree more. Talk about NIMBY-ism... Isn't Newton in Boston's backyard? What do you expect when you live that close to the city. If you want dense suburban conditions with access to all of the amenities a city has to offer, why not just settle for Framingham or Natick? I hear they have a great Neiman's there ...

If residents had it there way, Brighton/Allston/Newton would remain untouched until they either moved or died. They need to realize that the city needs to develop and change from its ordinary routine. That's the way a city grows and functions. For years Boston has feared changed, but I say BC and other colleges (Northeastern, MIT, BU, Berklee, etc) are heading in a good direction. As a leader in education, Boston needs to develop this industry and show it off. Whether its aesthetically pleasing architecturally is a different story. But that's a part of being in an urban environment.

I hope BC wins and compromises nothing. This project will not only add to its already stunning campus, but it will create a new urban center around Comm Ave ... and hopefully create a better Green Line connection.

Back