Boston College Master Plan

20220829_171757.jpg
20220829_171807.jpg
Some work on the new Hoag Pavilion, which is on the north end of Conte Forum.

Buried within this article is the nugget that BC expects to have a new institutional master plan complete in fall 2023.
https://www.bc.edu/content/bc-web/bcnews/bc-events/convocation/university-convocation-2022.html

Given that they’re only about 2/3 of the way through their current plan (here), it’ll be interesting to see if any of the existing approved projects don’t make their way through to the new IMP. Would be surprising since already approved, knowing the big fight they went through over a dozen years ago to get all of them.

I assume the biggest change will be figuring out how to use the former Pine Manor campus (and learning how to deal with Brookline in the process). They’ve already said they’re opening a 2 year associate degree school with 200 residential students on that campus, but that’s such a large campus to use on such a small number of students. I’d be shocked if there isn’t more to come from that space.

Trippy seeing a post I made 16 years ago this day I was a student at BC. o_O I was right about none of it happening during my time there and learned irregardless is not a word.
I’ve long since come to the conclusion that there’s never going to be a student center, and the Mods are going to outlive me. :ROFLMAO:

Bro, me too. I probably passed you on my way to class in Fulton Hall (I was CSOM).

Trippy seeing a post I made 16 years ago this day I was a student at BC. o_O I was right about none of it happening during my time there and learned irregardless is not a word.

I’ve long since come to the conclusion that there’s never going to be a student center, and the Mods are going to outlive me. :ROFLMAO:
I remember when the mods were built in the early 1970's as temporary housing. That was back when BC was on the verge of bankruptcy.

1688863519329.png

I get it that some archives type stuff needs to be protected from sunlight (hence, no windows - bunker style), but land is precious here - - - put that depressing shit turd underground, please, and preserve the above ground space for more productive or recreative things.

Last edited:
Really! Brutalism or International Style -- whatever it is -- where did they find these so-called architects?! Wait...or is this the 'brainchild' of AI?!!

The Boston branch of the Archivio Apostolico Vaticano will ultimately house the Holy Grail on the subterranean bunker's 9th level.

Well, I’ll go on the record as liking it. It’s certainly more daring than the neo-gothic style that BC has been going with for the last decade and more.

Well, I’ll go on the record as liking it. It’s certainly more daring than the neo-gothic style that BC has been going with for the last decade and more.
I think they've said they're going for a different aesthetic on the Brighton Campus than on the Chestnut Hill one.
It just seems like a strange use for prime real estate though, especially with all of their real estate holdings (300 Hammond Pond, Newton Campus, Pine Manor, Weston).

"daring" does not equal 'advisable'. Aren't there enough 'big box' stores to fill that sort of need? Or am I being 'human' instead of 'bot'...

The architects are Shepley & Bulfinch, who have been designing libraries for nearly 150 years. They had been designing libraries for about 75 years before the ENIAC was built.

https://goo.gl/maps/ePQLWVJXtB5uHKBV8

^^^This is an Oct 2022 streetview of the site as seen by the many thousands who daily traverse Boston's mega-thoroughfare: Lake St The abutting neighbors on Lake St., which IIRC, includes the Secretary of State for the Commonwealth, have over decades sought to constrain BC's-use of this property.. Nearly 30 years ago, the Secretary of State et al were plaintiffs in the following case:
Plaintiffs’ allege that Boston College’s use of St. John’s Seminary for parking during home football games substantially and unreasonably interferes with the use and enjoyment of their property, thus creating a common law nuisance. Plaintiffs’ seek injunctive relief.
About ten years after the above lawsuit, the archdiocese was compelled to sell the Seminary to BC for over $100 million to help settle judgments associated with numerous pedophile priests. The neighbors were none too happy about BC acquiring the property, fearing the quiet and tranquility they enjoyed would be replaced by hordes of drunken, boisterous students. IIRC, BC's IMP for the Brighton campus has always sought to minimize undergraduate use of the Brighton campus, and to populate the campus with socially mature individuals, respectful of the neighbors: e.g., the residence halls for the Jesuit community at BC were built on the Brighton campus. It is highly unlikely that undergraduates will ever find their way to this new archive building, as the 300,000 volume holdings are outside their scholarly pursuits.

Sorry to ping an old post, but you aren't wrong. The last two years the underpinned a bunch of the mods with helical piles and this year they replaced/upgraded all the underground electric through the mods. They're not tearing down the mods, they're investing in them 🤦‍♂️!!!

Back