Boston Hotels

You said you "didn't know their intended price range"...well neither do I. I have coffee every morning right next door to the Chandler at the Berkeley Perk. The hotel guests receive vouchers for breakfast and the sense that I've generally gotten is that they have enjoyed the accommodations. The testimonials on tripadvisor also seem to bear that out. Next time you ask for free advice from the forum a simple, "thanks for the taking the time to offer a suggestion" would be an appropriate response...

^ Sorry, didn't mean to offend you.

Check out the reviews on Tripadvisor. I wouldn't want to stay there. Really, would you?

All the "$" listings are in the Chandler's price range. Wouldn't you rather stay in one of those?

When I have friends come into town I invariably book them through priceline "name your own price" or get a deal through travelzoo. I agree with Ron that a hotel should be clean, modern and have a good location. Unless I'm at a beachfront resort I generally only sleep in the hotel anyway. Travelzoo is offering a $79 per night deal at 140 Clarendon in the YWCA building. Apparently this is a new hotel. Looks nice. Plan B would be to go through priceline and opt for a hotel in the Back Bay of three stars or more for $60. You'd be amazed at the values you can get. And if you know the basic quality of the hotel and the approximate location, do you really need to know EXACTLY where it is?

I'm a big fan of The Lenox. Despite standing on Boylston for over a century they've been recognized as one of the nations "greener" hotels. Good location and great service.

^ Good choice, but it doesn't have quite the intimate relationship to subway, food court and MIT; so it doesn't have as much bustle or sense of place.

The Sheraton Commander has very nice rooms, but it feels a bit out of the way.

Since my list is a personal selection, it follows my predilections. Since I didn't state these earlier, here they are now:

1. Subway should be a short walk.
2. Immediate surroundings should be at least interesting, if not lively.
3. Hotel itself should make you feel you're glad to be there. This means a friendly staff, clean rooms, nice public spaces, responsive service.
4. The place should represent some perceptible event or stage in the city's history or evolution.

For example: Copley Plaza speaks of Beaux-Arts opulence; Inn at Harvard speaks of Graham Gund's post-Modernist playfulness; Custom House is the transformation of once-important government offices; other inns are converted townhouses and allow you at least the illusion of being a resident.

In other words, the facility itself is part of the visitor's experience and illuminates the City's history and essence. This means there's not much value to a purpose-built Hilton or Holiday Inn; when you stay in one of those, you could be anywhere.

Ablarc, thank you for the list. Entertaining and illuminating.
Lennox always a good choice for me. Great location. Feels like Boston. Wonderful service.

^ Just what the doctor ordered for this wheezy district.

Have you stayed at one of their locations, ablarc? I stayed at the NYC location about a year ago, and on Sunset for my last visit to LA. I love everything about these hotels.

Actually, the Hurley Building would be a a great home for a Standard.

^ What a buy!

But don't let them put you into second-classhood.

The way you do that is by coming on super-friendly. Once they know you're a good guy, the hotel is your oyster.

"The Brutal", "The Brute"..."Hotel Beton Brut"?

Back