Boston Hotels

The Rudolph(?)

Also, I'm curious: Is the Colonnade supposed to be particularly nice after their extensive ("green") renovations?

Wouldn't the Ritz Carlton and Four Season's fit your criteria?

^ Both good hotels.

Four Seasons has problems with being of a certain age, if you know what I mean. That means it's a little short of au courant, and it's not old enough to be a dowager like Copley Plaza.

Ritz Carlton is equally expensive and has no claim to uniqueness.

Can't recommend too many $$$$ hotels to most folks; few have the money.

I'm looking to list hotels that are a fun stay for cultural, historical or sociological reasons; not sure this pair meets the standards; you can find a pair of better choices in the two that are listed in this price category (or so I think).

Remember, this is a selection. A selection leaves things out by definition.

Four Seasons has problems with being of a certain age, if you know what I mean.

The Four Seasons in St. Louis is nicer, but I have a feeling everything except the bar (refreshingly contemporary for the Lou - lots of seamless, clear glass, dark wood, and stainless steel) will be very passe in ten years.

, this is a selection. A selection leaves things out by definition.

You might say ablarc is...a curator.

My suggestion would include the Boston Park Plaza hotel. Perhaps a little outdated, but definitely qualified for location and history. Apart from that, I've only ever stayed at Marriott hotels - Copley Square Marriott is always a quality choice, as is, of course, the Custom House Vacation Club.

Oh, by the way, Happy New Year. Is it lame that I'm on aB on New Year's Eve? Ah, the life of a snow bum...

My suggestion would include the Boston Park Plaza hotel.
Once The Statler, this is one of Boston's most impressive buildings. As a place to stay, it's like New York's Pennsylvania Hotel: the best days are in the past.

Happy New Year! Let's hope it's better than the one we just left behind.

I have to admit I've never actually stayed there, only perused the photos online. I'll be able to give a better impression this February, when I'll be there for a Model U.N. Conference (the geeks will inherit the Earth, it's true).

...mostly negative review...
In all, not so negative. Fairly trivial kvetches include no parking, no awning, a formerly Sarah Lee breakfast.

Read it again; which drawback would deter you? No place is perfect.

Once The Statler, this is one of Boston's most impressive buildings. As a place to stay, it's like New York's Pennsylvania Hotel: the best days are in the past.

I stayed at the Pennsylvania a couple of years ago, only because it is across the street from MSG and I didn't want to walk very far when drunk. (When ambulatory, I prefer the Excelsior.)
I know fleas, and the Pennsylvania gives flea bags a bad name.

(The only worse hotel I ever stayed at was years ago in Venice: a pensione that had a spare interior room with no windows.
(It wasn't that the room was dirty.
(It wasn't the single, dangling, naked 20w lightbulb.
(It wasn't that I had the feeling my lovely English model/girlfriend and I were being video taped.
(It was that creepy old lady voice that I kept hearing outside the room door, over and over: "Qui est? Qui est trop chaud?"
(Mood kill.)

In all, not so negative. Fairly trivial kvetches include no parking, no awning, a formerly Sarah Lee breakfast.

They also went on about radical inconsistency in room quality and a lost reservation (a problem when the place is fully automated). I don't exactly care about ergonomic chairs, but it seemed to be an issue for them. The final judgment seemed to be that you can do better unless you explicitly want someplace that doesn't feel like a hotel.

These things might concern me:

"water pressure that only Al Gore could love" (in the shower)

"a night in the dungeon: Room 100, a dark basement chamber with a desk jutting into its center"

"the latte machine dispensed sour milk" suggests some inattention to small but important details

These things might concern me:

"water pressure that only Al Gore could love" (in the shower)
Maybe when all of us are signed on to Al Gore's agenda, we can learn to love it.

"a night in the dungeon: Room 100, a dark basement chamber with a desk jutting into its center"
This one's pretty easy to avoid; just specify you don't want a basement room.

"the latte machine dispensed sour milk" suggests some inattention to small but important details
For sure, this one is vexatious.

John, do you happen to have a link to any sort of article? Just scanned Google quickly but no such luck.

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself with this conjecture, but a decently tall, narrow boutique hotel of some sort would be wicked cool here.

(Apologies for the groaning and/or eye rolls this may have caused.)

John, do you happen to have a link to any sort of article? Just scanned Google quickly but no such luck.

I know I'm getting way ahead of myself with this conjecture, but a decently tall, narrow boutique hotel of some sort would be wicked cool here.

(Apologies for the groaning and/or eye rolls this may have caused.)

I saw the article on Curbed today. It is planned to be a 14 story boutique hotel.

Thanks, datadyne! Just found it, must have missed it browsing earlier.

Back