Boston Hurricane Preparedness

tysmith95

Reaction score
1zq7h8o.png

There is a chance, abet small, that New England could be hit by Hurricane Matthew. Here is an image of Boston area evacuation zones in the event of a hurricane. Red is the most venerable, followed by yellow. Green areas are less likely to flood but are considered evacuation zones in the event of a hurricane.

Last edited:
I have no idea how to read that second picture but Boston looks positioned for a Level 3 Kill Storm no matter what. Do the colors indicate probability?

I have no idea how to read that second picture but Boston looks positioned for a Level 3 Kill Storm no matter what. Do the colors indicate probability?

It indicates how high the tide could get in feet, so for example, Chelsea could get 24' tides.

...And in that case, it was nice knowing you guys.

Last edited:
I think that it's a little bit premature to say that Boston would be in the direct path of the storm seeing that the spaghetti plots have the storm heading more NE than NW. The only way that I see this directly impacting us is if that area of low pressure curves a bit. Then that creates a problem for the Cape and the Islands.

3 days ago, they had it possibly taking more of a straight line through the straight and staying on a straight north path, then, passing east of Hatteras then, eventually slamming within 50 mi of Narragansett Bay, like the 1938 Hurricane.

Then they changed it to curving a bit more to the west, and likely hitting somewhere between southern NC and Hatteras Island, before going extra-tropical. but it's a slow mover, and it will be coming about 24 days after water-temp peaks, so, even if it had made a more 1938ish path, it'd still likely made landfall in New England as a Cat 1 or strong tropical storm... or even having taken on extra-tropical characteristics.

i'm thinking we'll end up with a good soaking and maybe some gale force winds by next weekend.

The 1938 storm screamed up the coast in mid-sept w/ near-maximum seawater temperatures.

Great New England Hurricane stats;

Max Recorded Wind: 186 mph at Blue Hill Observatory, Milton, MA

◾Lowest Observed Pressure: 27.94 in (946.2 mb) at Bellport, NY

◾Estimated Lowest Pressure: 27.79 in (941 mb) near Brentwood, NY as the wind and pressure centers were slightly displaced due to its fast speed and extra-tropical transition (Landsea et al. 2013, National Hurricane Center; Hurricane Research Division Re-Analysis Project)

◾Speed at landfall: 47 mph (Landsea et al. 2013, National Hurricane Center; Hurricane Research Division Re-Analysis Project)

◾Peak Storm Surge: 17 ft. above normal high tide (Rhode Island)

◾Peak Wave Height: 50 ft.

◾Deaths: 700

◾Homeless: Approx. 63,000

◾Homes/Buildings Destroyed: Approx. 8,900

◾Trees Destroyed: Approx. 2 Billion

◾Boats Lost or Destroyed: Approx. 3,300

Back