Boston in the Seventies

City of Boston Archives has uploaded a bunch of images of the South End from the 1960s - 1980s.

I can't tell where the "South End Victory Parade" is taking place; obviously Columbus Ave or Tremont St; I know Columbus had a lot of them.

I'm not familiar with the location of "Pilgrim Laundry". The bottom image that looks as though it is low-income housing was low-income housing - it was the model for proposed style of housing during that era.

South End, sign protesting urban renewal by City of Boston Archives, on Flickr

South End victory parade by City of Boston Archives, on Flickr

Unidentified location by City of Boston Archives, on Flickr

Pilgrim Laundry by City of Boston Archives, on Flickr

South End by City of Boston Archives, on Flickr

Last edited:
City of Boston Archives has uploaded a bunch of images of the South End from the 1960s - 1980s.

I can't tell where the "South End Victory Parade" is taking place; obviously Columbus Ave or Tremont St; I know Columbus had a lot of them.

I'm not familiar with the location of "Pilgrim Laundry". The bottom image that looks as though it is low-income housing was low-income housing - it was the model for proposed style of housing during that era.

This could very well be my living room on E. Brookline St, which was redone in the early 90s, now has exposed brick on the party wall behind the fireplace and a kitchen where that door and sink would be (the hallway to the rear bedrooms would be about where the door is). I've printed out a copy and I'll compare it when I go home tonight.

As a P/FP designer, I can't help but notice that the drainage piping for that sink slopes upward from the p-trap! Haha.

Alas, it is not my apartment, as my fireplace mantel has a little more detail carved into the marble as well as a medallion at the top of the opening. I may check to see if the upstairs unit has that mantel.

The bottom image that looks as though it is low-income housing was low-income housing - it was the model for proposed style of housing during that era.

Public housing indeed. There was a dedication ceremony for it's opening (1967?) attended by Vice President Hubert Horatio Humphrey as part of the propaganda machine for Lyndon Johnson's Great Society. Looks exactly the same today.

It looks absolutely nothing like it. The building was completely redesigned in the past year into market rate housing. This is 14 E. Springfield St.

I stumbled upon a pretty good cache of vintage pics thanks to Emmanuel College and their digitizing of all their old yearbooks. I've only looked at a few but found loads of good stuff in them, so much so that I may have to go through each and every one of them. For now here's what I found in the 1978 yearbook:

5xd9.png

h5vh.png

8ids.png

39h8.png

ddu1.png

x56p.png

w8ak.png

ut19.png

f2qq.png

km9c.png

km69.png

Back