Boston MPO Metropolitan Planning Organization

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
The MPO makes many of these plans that the state and municipalities then do.
They are out with a fairly high concept new plan that's available for public comment.
It asks "what should "we all" do to improve access for the elderly, disabled, and EJ/Low income communities"
What do you think?

As I read it, it prioritizes making stations/stops (and nearby streets) barrier-free.

As I read it, it prioritizes making stations/stops (and nearby streets) barrier-free.
I more got the impression that the main priorities were:
  • Station facilities and amenities (Shelters for street stops, benches, lighting, etc)
  • ADA compliance (Elevators when required and high level platforms)
  • Expanded service, particularly to COA centers and outside of the urban core.

Overall seems pretty reasonable, if a bit vague at times.

The MPO makes many of these plans that the state and municipalities then do.
They are out with a fairly high concept new plan that's available for public comment.
It asks "what should "we all" do to improve access for the elderly, disabled, and EJ/Low income communities"
What do you think?

The CPT-HST is the tip of the iceberg of work that Boston MPO performs and is responsible for.

Boston MPO generally meets the first and third Thursdays of each month (they may cancel a meeting if there is no business to attend to). All of the big stuff--trains, electric buses, station improvements, bridges, roadway reconstruction projects, regional bike trails, etc.--if it's funded with a nickel of federal aid, it flows through the Boston MPO. And the staff invest a LOT of time and effort trying to engage the public for input and direction on the types of projects they want to see the MPO program with federal aid, including MBTA investment.

As I've encouraged across multiple threads on this forum, all persons on here that have an interest in transportation investment and planning in the Boston region should participate at Boston MPO meetings. Lucky for us, CTPS (the staff to Boston MPO) has a virtual meeting this Thursday 10/5 a 10am. Details here: https://www.ctps.org/calendar/day/20231005.

1696343780919.png

"Illicit feedback," eh? Like, they want comments written on a brick of cocaine?

Separately from the above, the MPO is soliciting ideas for transportation studies and technical assistance projects for federal fiscal year (FFY) 2025.

Anyone can submit an idea for a study. Past studies have included investigating hot-button transportation policy issues, designing solutions for increasing public transit access to certain destinations, and exploring new transportation planning methods.

Recording is posted for this past Thursday's MPO board meeting. The presentation and discussion on roadway pricing starts at 1:11:05

Back