Boston Nightlife

kennedy

Reaction score
24hr anything is what Boston needs but will never get.

Or at least allow clubs/restaurants/others to be open to 3am.

Re: W Hotel

The problem is that people go for a given thing - a stop at the theatres (though decreasingly so as the Boston theatre industry dies its sad and lonely death) or (maybe) at one of those restaurants. There's no intent to hang out in the neighborhood, though. Visits are all about quick entrance and extraction.

Not if the theater district evolved with the times. Now people don't just want to see a show and get dinner, they want to be out late, having a good time in the city. Doing multiple things. Why can't there be late night bars here? Clubs? Galleries?

I guess then it would become FP + Old Theaters, but you get my drift?

I consider the south end to be almost an island, no nice connection to Dudley Sq, South Boston, Newmarket, Downtown and not all the Back Bay connections are that great either.

As far as the theater district they should remove one lane of traffic on Tremont across from the Common and widen the sidewalk along the buildings. This stretch of Tremont st was once Boston's premier shopping St. They should also remove a lane along Tremont between Boylston and Stuart and widen both sidewalks, The next block they should remove at least one if not two lanes.

I've been reading the newspapers since the mid sixties and theater has been dying since then. It will still be dying a hundred years from now.

Crime hs been big issue in that part of town. A lot students at Emerson wont venture down to that area and other run if they have to go through there. This is from Emerson's newspaper. I've seen drug dealing during the day in front of convince store in the state transportation building.

There's been a few shooting down there recently in front of both the Wilbur and the Wang and the club across from the Wang is notorious for problems at closing time.

There's been a few shooting down there recently in front of both the Wilbur and the Wang and the club across from the Wang is notorious for problems at closing time.

This may sound paradoxical but I think the most effective way to reduce crime and violent incidents at closing time (2am) would be to extend last call to 4. This area is not residential so its not like waking people up is a problem. They could do something like Chicago and issue a hundred licenses to places that are allowed to operate (a potential huge money maker btw).

But just think about it, 2 am is just too early for the people at these places, that is just a reality of their lifestyle. So, at 2am everyone from every bar walks into the street at the same time. The T has stopped running (another thing that should be extended with less frequency on the late nights) and everyone is out fighting for cabs until 3:30 because there aren't enough. If the clubs were open until 4 there would be a trickle out the door between 2 and 4 rather then a mad rush to the cabs.

I feel like this is one of those ideas though that will never work because in my mind it makes sense and is based on reality, rather than a paternalistic attitude of "you should be in bed by 2"

This may sound paradoxical but I think the most effective way to reduce crime and violent incidents at closing time (2am) would be to extend last call to 4. This area is not residential so its not like waking people up is a problem. They could do something like Chicago and issue a hundred licenses to places that are allowed to operate (a potential huge money maker btw).

But just think about it, 2 am is just too early for the people at these places, that is just a reality of their lifestyle. So, at 2am everyone from every bar walks into the street at the same time. The T has stopped running (another thing that should be extended with less frequency on the late nights) and everyone is out fighting for cabs until 3:30 because there aren't enough. If the clubs were open until 4 there would be a trickle out the door between 2 and 4 rather then a mad rush to the cabs.

I feel like this is one of those ideas though that will never work because in my mind it makes sense and is based on reality, rather than a paternalistic attitude of "you should be in bed by 2"

Where I lived in NYC there we no clubs and I was on the 18th floor, so other then a few times hearing drunk tourist singing "I you can make it here....", it was pretty quite in the mornings. A friend of mine lived on the third floor near some bars and was woken up every morning after 4 am from all the yelling, screaming and fighting. Any New Yorkers have more insight?

My friend used to live across the street from the Milkyway in JP and since he had no AC he had to keep his windows open at night. That wasn't fun (glad I was only there a week!)

Let's get some bike lanes in there while they're at it!

I think it's more about Puritanism than paternalism.

I think it's more about Puritanism than paternalism.

Is there anyone on this forum who actually knows what time bars and public transportation close in other cities. I agree the T should run an additional hour, maybe up to two hours. After that there can't be that many people to justify the cost of the T. How many cities actually have bars open latter than 2? Gambling cites don't count.

First time I went to San Francisco I went to a couple of strip clubs, the girls stop at the G string. In Boston they take everything off and have since at least the 70's. So much for being puritanical. I would bet Boston is more progressive that most cities.

If your criteria for a great city is having bars open to 4, that's pretty sad.

I really think a Chicago style set up would be the best. Issue a limited number of licenses for bars to stay open til 4 on thursday, friday and saturday. The mayor would love to stuff those coffers. Also the T should run a limited schedule after midnight. Obviously the demand is lower and the service should reflect that. They should run a red/orange/ blue every twenty and a green every 15. That limits the number of drivers and the trains should be able to go full speed so it is a fast ride, no waiting outside park street station for ten minutes.

Chicago rules are very good, although most I saw advertised as being open only until 3am. Although, these weren't the strip clubs, they were those fancy-shmancy wine, cheese, and chocolate joints. At what point does being open late turn into being open early?

First time I went to San Francisco I went to a couple of strip clubs, the girls stop at the G string. In Boston they take everything off and have since at least the 70's.

Well, of course they do - didn't you read The Scarlet Letter?

;)

Is there anyone on this forum who actually knows what time bars and public transportation close in other cities. I agree the T should run an additional hour, maybe up to two hours. After that there can't be that many people to justify the cost of the T. How many cities actually have bars open latter than 2? Gambling cites don't count.

If your criteria for a great city is having bars open to 4, that's pretty sad.

Toronto runs the entire system until 1am at most a 30 minute headway. Every bus, every train. After that, they, like most cities run a condensed bus networks, with frequencies from 10 mins to 45 mins.

There should be at minimum a bus every 30 minutes following the rail lines.

As for closing time, look at south america or europe (outside of UK).

Most places have a "close when the last customer leaves" policy.

I dont understand why the government should control a private business's hours of operation. This isnt Switzerland. I thought this country was all about capitalism and letting the free market decide.

Regulate noise. Regulate crime. This because there are negative externalities.

Example: If Atlantic Beer Garden, by the trade center (where no one lives) stayed open 24 hours.....who would be hurt?

I know of one bar that's open after hours (sorry I'm not telling) and I'm sure its specifically because there arent any neighbors and therefore no noise complaints. I was there on friday and the cops drove right by well after 2 with a half dozen patrons outside and the place PACKED. They even sell beer to patrons to take home when they do close.

And buses did run late night following rail lines but stopped because no one used it. I thought their biggest problem was lack of information and advertising about it.

My theory all along is to treat it like what it is: a monopoly. T should stay open with trains every half hour after 1 and charge people more money to ride. Maybe 5 bucks a pop. People wouldnt be outraged at this because everyone is used to it not being open at all. Hell I'd pay 10 bucks to ride it at 3am some nights if it gets me home safe. The extra fee would cover some of the cost. The automization of the stations means less T employees are needed. A train every half hour really isnt asking a lot, and there's till enough down time (I think) to make the necessary repairs that always seems to be the excuse for no 24 hr service. The biggest problem is security; I'm sure T cops are just as expensive as regular cops and more security is probably needed the later it is. I suggest using rent a pigs where you could probably have more staff on hand at possibly a cheaper price. The unions would be heated, but its not like they are losing anything.
The biggest thing they need to learn from the late nigt bus service failure would be a heavy wave of advertising (use your own facilities!) so people actually know service exists and answers any questions they may have.

Obama wants to spend all this money to give people jobs that end once the construction is done....Go to him, pitch the idea, many people would have permanent jobs and training them to be security guards for the T wouldnt be difficult. Bars can then stay open with a safe way to get home and I believe alcohol sales remain pretty constant even through economic downturns which gives the city more tax money. Of course someone would argue then more police and fire are needed and the whole logical thing would be shot down. If not because of that, sensational news stories would publicize some terrible story and blame it on excess drinking due to the bars being open and law makers and bible thumpers would rise up and cry like they always do over the exception, not the rule. End thought.

Amsterdam runs a whole separate network of 'night buses' from about midnight to 5 am, charging a higher fare than the regular bus and tram network.

I think that as long as the price of the late night train was a little bit lower than the price of a cab ride, not one would care about paying more than the usual fare.

Bars can then stay open with a safe way to get home and I believe alcohol sales remain pretty constant even through economic downturns which gives the city more tax money.

During an economic downturn, historically people have consumed more alcohol...oddly enough, a study was done this time showing that people for the first time are drinking less alcohol during a repression/depression. I'll try and find the actual link to the study.

I know of one bar that's open after hours (sorry I'm not telling) and I'm sure its specifically because there arent any neighbors and therefore no noise complaints. I was there on friday and the cops drove right by well after 2 with a half dozen patrons outside and the place PACKED. They even sell beer to patrons to take home when they do close.

Why arent you telling?

Back