Boston Sidewalks

armpitsOFmight

Reaction score
Since we have a Boston roads thread I thought I'd make one dedicated to sidewalks! 02124, get your camera and start taking pictures!

This is a cool idea. Let's get some Boston street photography where it counts.

9595549342_147496e917_c.jpg

6893750091_34e4a7ae21_z.jpg

http://goo.gl/maps/WSh0m

Not a great view, but this one on Garden St. Cambridge I have to walk through nearly every day is much more craptacular. The asphalt wedged in the 1 ft. space between the tree trunk and the fence is at a 45-degree angle and raised over a foot off the ground. Tons o' fun in winter because it's impossible for the abutting homeowners to wedge a shovel in there to clean out all the snow. Many a twisted ankle from folks trying to scale it.

That reminds me of one in Brookline, the picture of which I have misplaced for the moment.

So why is it so hard for cities to figure out that planting species of tree that grow to over three feet in circumference probably aren't the best options for lining sidewalks?

So why is it so hard for cities to figure out that planting species of tree that grow to over three feet in circumference probably aren't the best options for lining sidewalks?

Presumably they wouldn't plant that tree in that spot if they were planting it today, but I could be wrong.

Presumably they wouldn't plant that tree in that spot if they were planting it today, but I could be wrong.

I think you're right. Horticultural Departments, or whoever controls plantings, seem to have figured it out by now. It just amazes me that they were that oblivious in the past.

The tree in front of my apt. has raised the entire sidewalk slab next to it 4 inches into the air in the 6 years I've been living there. Can peer down into the crack on one side of it and see the entire bottom of the concrete. The whole slab will literally be suspended in midair within 2 years flat with the furious midlife growth spurt this particular tree is undergoing. Every mom with a baby stroller has to hoist the front then back wheels to get over that giant "wall" and vertical drop that's forming on one side of the slab. I haven't seen any joggers trip and faceplant on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's one a week rate given proximity to Danehy Park.

I asked City of Cambridge if they were ever going to fix it. They said not until they do a cycled ADA'ing of the entire block with curb cuts and traffic calming bumps and rumble strips at the crosswalks. Which was scheduled for FY2014 and has now been punted out a couple years extra from lack of funding. If the sidewalk ain't physically destroyed enough for them to jackhammer it up and pour one of those silly asphalt humps, they don't even bother. So the single most dangerous sidewalk slab in the entire neighborhood right in front of my living room window will remain suspended in midair until it breaks in half from the weight of its own edges.

What's the City supposed to do about F-line's tree? If's it's in good shape, cutting it down will likely cause a neighborhood outcry. One solution would be to "re-route" the sidewalk on to F-line's property with a plaque acknowledging with thanks F-line's having granted an easement to the City.

Or a curb extension into the street, depending on the geometry.

What's the City supposed to do about F-line's tree? If's it's in good shape, cutting it down will likely cause a neighborhood outcry. One solution would be to "re-route" the sidewalk on to F-line's property with a plaque acknowledging with thanks F-line's having granted an easement to the City.

Or they could just get rid of the midair-suspended sidewalk slab before somebody busts their face open on it and sues the city.

They can check the root system while they're doing it and see if cleaning it up or shaving down whatever giant one is destroying the sidewalk can be done without harming the integrity of the tree. Hell, they can probably pop the floating slab back into place if they're careful enough jacking it up while tending to the roots.

They can replace the slab with some sort of temporary surface that can flex around the root system or be adjusted and popped back into place as the roots grow. I've seen plastic, rubber, or foam composite surfaces that can do that while maintaining continuity with the sidewalk surface.

Or...a shitty asphalt pave-over job that'll disintegrate in 5 years. Which is still better than midair-suspended concrete slab navigational hazard.

Did I mention...anything before somebody busts their face and sues the city over midair-suspended concrete slab would be better than nothing?:rolleyes:

Hell, they can probably pop the floating slab back into place if they're careful enough jacking it up while tending to the roots.

This year in Coolidge Corner they've taken to replacing the concrete floating slabs with asphalt - not a fan. It's odd seeing the sidewalk alternate between concrete and asphalt as I cross over tree roots.

I think sidewalks and street trees are a wholly under appreciated component of urban aesthetics. Unfortunately, lots of people simply don't like them or want them. The city now takes a decidedly less activist role in this area. They won't unilaterally plant trees because (apparently) some residents simply kill or neglect them until they are dead. I live on Plymouth Street in Cambridge which is almost devoid of street trees. When I received full support from the city to plant free trees, only one neighbor was in support of the measure. If you look at the surrounding blocks with greater planting the impression is dramatic...but the city won't impose them upon residents. I can only assume this is the case in Boston. If you look at old photos of South Boston, the tree lined streets are far more appealing than what we see now. And while it is true that large scale trees are impractical, they provide beautiful shade and aesthetics. Towns across America are far less beautiful for the death of the grand Dutch Elm.

Just noticed MassDOT has a project advertised to fix up the streetscape around Symphony Hall. Looks promising.

I can't find any official plans but here's WalkBoston's comment letter so you can infer some of the changes from it.

"a new left turn from Massachusetts Avenue into Huntington Avenue westbound"

Praise the Lord. Can't tell you how many times I've illegally turned left there.

I think street trees and sidewalks are more appreciated nowadays. But there was definitely a time when prevailing opinion went against the trees. That's why Harvard Ave had them stripped. And I've heard stories about neighbors rallying against street trees because of the leaves getting "all over their Buicks."

The Norway maple tree which is an invasive species and actually illegal to plant in MASS is the cause of allot of sidewalk problems, the roots grow close to the surface and will mess up your driveway, sidewalk, lawn, and anything else in it's path. If you have any cut them down!!!

These trees can take over an entire neighborhood in about 10 years.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/invasive_plants/weeds/norway-maple.pdf

Back